Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoCoAztec

How would we break a 3 way tie for the Mountain?

IF Wyo upsets BSU and then WYO subsequently loses to UNM, we have the (small) possibility that BSU, WYO and UNM would all end up with only one conference loss.  Of course, this would require that they win the rest of their games as well.  Wyo would have the hardest path in that they'd have to also beat SDSU, but if they beat BSU then they certainly could beat SDSU in Laramie in Nov.

I don't think this is likely, but how would they break the tie if it played out this way?   

Tie Between Three or More Teams:

In the event of a percentage tie for a divisional championship between three or more teams, the following comparison procedure shall be used until one or more teams gain an advantage:

a. Winning percentage in games played among the tied teams.

b. Winning percentage in games played against division opponents.

c. Winning percentage against the next highest‐placed team in the division (based upon the team’s record in all games played in the Conference), proceeding through the division. (When comparing tied teams against positions lower in the standings that are also tied, those lowertied positions shall be considered a single position for the purposes of comparison.)

d. Winning percentage against common Conference opponents.

e. Highest CFP ranking (or the composite of selected computer rankings if neither team is ranked in the CFP rankings) following the final week of Conference regular‐season games. If at any time during this analysis, any team(s) should gain an advantage over the other team(s) tied at that position, the team(s) holding the advantage shall move forward in the tiebreaking process while the other team(s) are eliminated. If it is reduced to a two-team tie at any point, the process shall then revert to the beginning of the tie-breaking procedures (tie between two teams) and shall be applied (in order) until the two-team tie is broken. (Revised May 2016)

1 hour ago, AZdogFan said:

Tie Between Three or More Teams:

In the event of a percentage tie for a divisional championship between three or more teams, the following comparison procedure shall be used until one or more teams gain an advantage:

a. Winning percentage in games played among the tied teams.

b. Winning percentage in games played against division opponents.

c. Winning percentage against the next highest‐placed team in the division (based upon the team’s record in all games played in the Conference), proceeding through the division. (When comparing tied teams against positions lower in the standings that are also tied, those lowertied positions shall be considered a single position for the purposes of comparison.)

d. Winning percentage against common Conference opponents.

e. Highest CFP ranking (or the composite of selected computer rankings if neither team is ranked in the CFP rankings) following the final week of Conference regular‐season games. If at any time during this analysis, any team(s) should gain an advantage over the other team(s) tied at that position, the team(s) holding the advantage shall move forward in the tiebreaking process while the other team(s) are eliminated. If it is reduced to a two-team tie at any point, the process shall then revert to the beginning of the tie-breaking procedures (tie between two teams) and shall be applied (in order) until the two-team tie is broken. (Revised May 2016)

If I read the above correctly, in this scenario a, b, and c would not be applicable. 

d - Is there a common opponent from the West division?

If not, it looks like the highest CFP ranking, i.e. BSU, would advance. 

Just now, GoCoAztec said:

If I read the above correctly, in this scenario a, b, and c would not be applicable. 

d - Is there a common opponent from the West division?

If not, it looks like the highest CFP ranking, i.e. BSU, would advance. 

I think with this scenario, none of the teams would have a loss outside of the 3-way among each other, so that percentage would be 100% for each of us.

I think the CFP ranking would be it and BSU represents the Mtn..

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Actually it's a 1.25 mil bonus...but who's really counting when we take dollars from this conference in a way very similar to a pimp taking dollars from his hoes.

DAAAAMN STRAIGHT...BIOTCHES!

walking

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."