Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trl87

'16 JUCO Victor Villarreal commits to Wyo

18 minutes ago, trl87 said:

Late addition for us. Just curious if you Utah State folks know why he committed to you but didn't sign his LOI. His added depth will be greatly appreciated, that's for sure.

Rumor is he didn't take the steps needed to qualify academically. USU moved on from him when he wasn't qualifying fast enough I guess. All this I learned from the source of all knowledge: usufans.com 

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41111&start=75

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Rumor is he didn't take the steps needed to qualify academically. USU moved on from him when he wasn't qualifying fast enough I guess. All this I learned from the source of all knowledge: usufans.com 

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41111&start=75

That's the feeling we got. Honestly a big pickup for us, as long as he produces. We had a cornerback leave the program which opened up a scholly. SOunds like he had to get his academics sorted out for us too, we just had the scholarship available. I hope we can still be friends.

1 minute ago, trl87 said:

That's the feeling we got. Honestly a big pickup for us, as long as he produces. We had a cornerback leave the program which opened up a scholly. SOunds like he had to get his academics sorted out for us too, we just had the scholarship available. I hope we can still be friends.

I liked his tape a lot. Some times things don't work out fast enough. As long as we keep beating Wyoming, I'm fine losing him to you. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Just now, madmartigan said:

I liked his tape a lot. Some times things don't work out fast enough. As long as we keeping beating *insert opponent here*, I'm fine losing him to you. 

I think that is a sentiment every fan conquers with.

Just now, trl87 said:

I think that is a sentiment every fan conquers with.

Very well done. You even responded in time to catch my tense error. English is hard. I worry about Wyo in Wyo this year with your two backs. Even though Wick is a senior citizen, Hill and Wick are perfect for that offense. 

5 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Very well done. You even responded in time to catch my tense error. English is hard. I worry about Wyo in Wyo this year with your two backs. Even though Wick is a senior citizen, Hill and Wick are perfect for that offense. 

If there was a tense error, I honestly didn't catch it (and still don't), because as you say, English is hard. We are bullish on our team this year, but we are homers and we are always bullish. I think we will put up a lot more points this year, but our D will be suspect. Lol at the Wick comment. It does seem like he has been here for a decade+.

35 minutes ago, trl87 said:

If there was a tense error, I honestly didn't catch it (and still don't), because as you say, English is hard. We are bullish on our team this year, but we are homers and we are always bullish. I think we will put up a lot more points this year, but our D will be suspect. Lol at the Wick comment. It does seem like he has been here for a decade+.

At some point, you just want to see improvement. I haven't seen it from Wyo yet, but I only really watch them when they play USU. When Andersen rebuilt USU, you could see progress even when the win total was not increasing. What progress have you seen with Onery Bohl? 

19 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

At some point, you just want to see improvement. I haven't seen it from Wyo yet, but I only really watch them when they play USU. When Andersen rebuilt USU, you could see progress even when the win total was not increasing. What progress have you seen with Onery Bohl? 

Last year, with an already young team, a lot of our experienced players were injured at one point or another. Defense, well, hard to say.

We also have a new workout coach. The last one was all about "lean muscle", even for linemen. This year, our linemen are already more up to size with the standard linemen, on both sides.

2 hours ago, son of a gun said:

Last year, with an already young team, a lot of our experienced players were injured at one point or another. Defense, well, hard to say.

We also have a new workout coach. The last one was all about "lean muscle", even for linemen. This year, our linemen are already more up to size with the standard linemen, on both sides.

@madmartigan Essentially this. They are getting to look like a D1 team, size and speed wise. Still an undersized D line but the O line is stout. This is going to have to be the year of the boat race for us as we are likely going to have to outscore our opponents rather than hold them with stout D. Our biggest ? on O is at QB, but we think ours will push for conference honors. Defense will be our Achilles heel. We have more size and speed at the LB position. Even more now with this addition. Secondary should be good enough. Our D line though needs some work, but definitely has promise. We are still relying on a lot of young guys so I expect there to be a fair amount of mental errors still. The pieces are falling into place though. Hopefully. As always, even a couple key injuries and it could be another long season. We see the progress in the size and speed aspect. Now we just need that size and speed to get the X's and O's