sebasour

Political Issues You Disagree With Your "Side" On?

4 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Thousands of American soldiers killed in the Middle East since 2008, many more maimed and wounded, many more with severe PTSD, and thousands upon thousands of dead Iraqis and Afghans. All for literally nothing. My tax dollars fund a deadly war machine, and I'm not down with that at all.   

Don't forget all the drone strikes 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

So far everyone in this thread has roughly similar political views.  Fascinating. 

Well, I'm not a lot different.  Sharktanked and I are very similar. 

Tend to disagree (strongly) with the GOP on (virtually all) of their environmental and social issues.  Disagree with their absolute devotion to and worship of the "FREE MARKET."  Disagree that government is never the answer. 

Tend to disagree with the Dems on gun control, minimum wage, free college, free ______, free ______, taxing (mostly) the rich, and for the most part, their entire fiscal platform.  And probably some other stuff.  But mostly their instance that people shouldn't either pay for sh_t or be responsible for the obligations they made. Disagree that government is always the answer.

Tend to disagree with both the GOP and Dem's allegiance and fealty to corporate interests and control. 

• Like 2

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

I'm a blue dog, middle of the road, southern democrat. I agree with lefties that stealing money from rich people even though they didn't earn it is good, that air conditioners are the greatest threat in today's world and that miniroties shouldn't be allowed to choose which school they go to.  I agree with the righties that murdering babies is bad, military vets are good, I respect science and understand that guns protect people. 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I don't even know what my side is. My old side nominated a maniac spouting positions long held by the other side.  I really, really disagrees with that.

So among the never trump people, I disagree with @CPslograd on killing citizens suspected to be planning terrorist attacks.

I have learned over the past year that our side is much smaller than I had previously thought.

I don't agree with almost anything Trump says.  Except asking the Russians to hand over the 30,000 emails, that was awesome.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I have learned over the past year that our side is much smaller than I had previously thought.

I don't agree with almost anything Trump says.  Except asking the Russians to hand over the 30,000 emails, that was awesome.

Lol, I agree.  I took some pretty hard stances about Trump being blown out, but that was before I knew he actually had somebody competent working to get him elected.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

16 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lol, I agree.  I took some pretty hard stances about Trump being blown out, but that was before I knew he actually had somebody competent working to get him elected.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I think that it is kind of funny/ironic that the Democrats are accusing the Russians of trying to rig the election by releasing emails about how the DNC is trying to rig the election.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Jwherb said:

So far everyone in this thread has roughly similar political views.  Fascinating. 

Well, I'm not a lot different.  Sharktanked and I are very similar. 

Tend to disagree (strongly) with the GOP on (virtually all) of their environmental and social issues.  Disagree with their absolute devotion to and worship of the "FREE MARKET."  Disagree that government is never the answer. 

Tend to disagree with the Dems on gun control, minimum wage, free college, free ______, free ______, taxing (mostly) the rich, and for the most part, their entire fiscal platform.  And probably some other stuff.  But mostly their instance that people shouldn't either pay for sh_t or be responsible for the obligations they made. Disagree that government is always the answer.

Tend to disagree with both the GOP and Dem's allegiance and fealty to corporate interests and control. 

Looks like Jwherb's side is my side and I disagree with nothing. The main difference between my political views and many others' here is that I seem more willing to make compromises in most areas.  

• Like 1

The war on drugs is stupid.  The war on gays and whatever else they want to be called is stupid.  If someone wants to kill their baby I support that right as they shouldn't reproduce anyway, and we should let evolution take its course.  Fighting stupid wars in countries like Iraq, Syria, Vietnam, Korea, Sudan, Bosnia etc.... just get Americans killed and does nothing positive for our national interests.   We should treat mental health not imprison it.  Boise state football is a national treasure.  Capitalism works and it should be allowed to work.  The government should stop trying to pick winners and losers and let business make business decisions.  Special laws for special groups just insures the special groups are looked down upon and suffer more racism.  Dividing people by skin color is bad for political gain is bad.  Trump is bad.  Hillary is bad.  Killing people with drones outside a war zone is a war crime.   Killing Americans without habeus corpus is just a plain old crime called murder.  Police are dangerous and their culture needs an adjustment.  Often the wrong kinds of people go into law enforcement.  I believe the federal government should respect the bill of rights from freedom of speech and religion to the part where if it isn't expressly states as a federal power it is reserved to the states and all those things in between like illegal searches, habeus corpus and torture.  I believe we should cut military spending by 75% so it becomes a defensive force not an offensive one.   We would still have the largest military in the world.  I believe the IRS, 349 federal law enforcement agencies, the Forest service, department of agriculture, department of education and many others should be chopped from the federal budget and their programs ended or transferred to an agency that does duplicate services.  For instance the department of the interior can take care of all things in the department of agriculture and the Treasury department can handle all things in the department of commerce.  The federal government should fund basic research projects like NASA, supercolliders and the genome project as well as cancer research.  Private industry can't see profit in many original research projects but it does wonders for our country and citizens in the long term and it is a very small cost on a national basis, spend less on NASA then we do on an Aircraft carrier and that is an obsolete military weapon.  I can go on and on, you should make me dictator for life!

23 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The war on drugs is stupid.  The war on gays and whatever else they want to be called is stupid.  If someone wants to kill their baby I support that right as they shouldn't reproduce anyway, and we should let evolution take its course.  Fighting stupid wars in countries like Iraq, Syria, Vietnam, Korea, Sudan, Bosnia etc.... just get Americans killed and does nothing positive for our national interests.   We should treat mental health not imprison it.  Boise state football is a national treasure.  Capitalism works and it should be allowed to work.  The government should stop trying to pick winners and losers and let business make business decisions.  Special laws for special groups just insures the special groups are looked down upon and suffer more racism.  Dividing people by skin color is bad for political gain is bad.  Trump is bad.  Hillary is bad.  Killing people with drones outside a war zone is a war crime.   Killing Americans without habeus corpus is just a plain old crime called murder.  Police are dangerous and their culture needs an adjustment.  Often the wrong kinds of people go into law enforcement.  I believe the federal government should respect the bill of rights from freedom of speech and religion to the part where if it isn't expressly states as a federal power it is reserved to the states and all those things in between like illegal searches, habeus corpus and torture.  I believe we should cut military spending by 75% so it becomes a defensive force not an offensive one.   We would still have the largest military in the world.  I believe the IRS, 349 federal law enforcement agencies, the Forest service, department of agriculture, department of education and many others should be chopped from the federal budget and their programs ended or transferred to an agency that does duplicate services.  For instance the department of the interior can take care of all things in the department of agriculture and the Treasury department can handle all things in the department of commerce.  The federal government should fund basic research projects like NASA, supercolliders and the genome project as well as cancer research.  Private industry can't see profit in many original research projects but it does wonders for our country and citizens in the long term and it is a very small cost on a national basis, spend less on NASA then we do on an Aircraft carrier and that is an obsolete military weapon.  I can go on and on, you should make me dictator for life!

I stopped reading when I got to Boise State football is a national treasure. You might have had some good points in the rest your post but I never read them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, son of a gun said:

You read that wall of words? Kudos. Whenever I see those, I read maybe the first line, and then skip the rest.

I really wish more people would learn how to paragraph.

When there's a long post like that I read the first and last lines  and one line in the middle. 

• Like 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I grew up and voted very liberal, but the reality of life and starting a business slapped me in the face about 25 yrs ago. 

When I saw how much the fed govt has destroyed a working class culture and had a big hand in destroying families I turned fiscally conservative w/ a libertarian slant.  IMO the federal budget should be cut in half

The tax system that is expensive to comply with is also designed to keep business short of cash.  It is remarkable how often the taxes owed at the end of the year equal your cash savings account.  This dis-incentivizes anyone to start a business or create a job.

I disagree w/ most social conservatives.  I deplore social/racial engineering by govt. 

When it comes to the Libertarian Party, four issues I vary from the standard thought:

1. I believe there needs to be more public spending for education and research - although I believe this should be driven from the state level 

2. I believe government has a role in managing public lands, parks, and monuments 

3. I believe in safety net protections to help the poor, disabled, or those who are unable to fend for themselves such as children 

4. I believe in federal programs to boost education and employment for communities plagued with systemic poverty and crime 

• Like 4

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

14 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

When it comes to the Libertarian Party, four issues I vary from the standard thought:

1. I believe there needs to be more public spending for education and research - although I believe this should be driven from the state level 

2. I believe government has a role in managing public lands, parks, and monuments 

3. I believe in safety net protections to help the poor, disabled, or those who are unable to fend for themselves such as children 

4. I believe in federal programs to boost education and employment for communities plagued with systemic poverty and crime 

Not to start a huge libertarian argument but:

1. Fed spending on education has been a MASSIVE  failure.  I would be OK if it remained as a small research resource for the states/districts to use. 

2. IMO fed govt is better suited to manage lands in order to get them away from local hacks who tend to pillage them.

3. I also believe in a social safety net, but NOT one that encourages generational/racial poverty and destroys working incentives as it does. Mostly bennies needs to be time limited

4. Education/employment programs are OK but a system of performance and accountability needs to be added.  It needs to be run by the states.  Handing out benefits w/o accountability to either the CLIENT or STATE has been a dismal failure. 

Govt tends to be more accountable when it is local.  

49 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Those four things are pretty much why I struggle with libertarianism. 1, 3 and 4 are my highest-priority issues. And 2 is not too far behind.

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Those four things are pretty much why I struggle with libertarianism. 1, 3 and 4 are my highest-priority issues. And 2 is not too far behind.

The logic I use is that having a heart should also include holding the system accountable for taxpayers, and for govt's clients. We dont, taxpayers do not get any consideration any more.  In the fed govts case, it is nearly all emotion spent on the clients.

39 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It's tough to be 100% aligned on everything. Also, candidates like Gary Johnson understand the realities of political climates and the necessity for compromise. He was the two term governor of New Mexico and they still have public schools and roads. ;) 

• Like 3

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

I grew up and voted very liberal, but the reality of life.....slapped me in the face about 25 yrs ago. 

That's pretty much everyone's story....."when I was a young, naive, moron living on my parent's income, I was a Democrat. Then I put on my big kid pants, got a job, started a family and now I'm a Republican. 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

21 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It's tough to be 100% aligned on everything. Also, candidates like Gary Johnson understand the realities of political climates and the necessity for compromise. He was the two term governor of New Mexico and they still have public schools and roads. ;) 

I completely agree. Politics is where you put your priorities: What's most important to you and what consequences are you willing to live with to see those goals reached?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

Not to start a huge libertarian argument but:

1. Fed spending on education has been a MASSIVE  failure.  I would be OK if it remained as a small research resource for the states/districts to use. 

2. IMO fed govt is better suited to manage lands in order to get them away from local hacks who tend to pillage them.

3. I also believe in a social safety net, but NOT one that encourages generational/racial poverty and destroys working incentives as it does. Mostly bennies needs to be time limited

4. Education/employment programs are OK but a system of performance and accountability needs to be added.  It needs to be run by the states.  Handing out benefits w/o accountability to either the CLIENT or STATE has been a dismal failure. 

Govt tends to be more accountable when it is local.  

I only disagree with you on the first one. First, desegregation was extremely important. Secondly, What do you call raising the US education system up to the best in the world? Fed spending on education is what made so many public universities into research juggernauts, it is why the University of Wyoming is a research institution, it is why such a university, one small university in a tiny political division, ranks among the top 300 institutions in the world. Hell, it is why UW exists at all. The Morrill Act is responsible for most universities in this conference!

9 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

That's pretty much everyone's story....."when I was a young, naive, moron living on my parent's income, I was a Democrat. Then I put on my big kid pants, got a job, started a family and now I'm a Republican. 

1988 called. Its party dynamics... would be pretty handy right about now actually.

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.