Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tspoke

The Resistance

This will be a different sort of game for smaller groups. We can still try to get werewolf games but can do this in the meantime. It is for 5-10 people.

theresistance.png

The Resistance is a game where players attempt to deduce one another's identities. The setting of the game is an imagined battle between a resistance group trying to overthrow the malignant government and the government spies infiltrating the resistance group. It is similar in structure to party games such as Mafia and Werewolf, where a small, secret group of informed players attempt to disrupt a larger uninformed group, while the larger group attempts to identify the spies and eliminate them. The Resistance uses slightly different mechanics from similar games, and was designed to avoid player elimination and increase available information for player decisions.

At the start of the game, one third of the group (rounded up) are randomly and secretly chosen to be government spies infiltrating the rest of the group (the Resistance). One of the players (either a spy or Resistance member) is selected to be the Mission Leader. The government members are made aware of each other without the Resistance knowing – the only thing the Resistance knows is how many government members exist, not who they are.The Leader selects a certain number of players to send out on a mission (the Leader may choose to go out on the mission himself/herself), starting with Mission 1.All of the players then discuss the Leader's choice and, simultaneous and in public, vote[1] on whether to accept the team make-up or not. If a majority of players votes no to the proposal or it's a tie, leadership passes on to the next player, who proposes their own mission. This continues until a majority of players agrees with the current Leader's mission assignment. After five rejected mission proposals in a row, the Spies automatically win the game.

The players that got selected now go on the mission. To go on the mission they will message me either success or fail. Members of the resistance must choose success while the spy's can choose either success or fail. After the mission I will announce if the mission succeeded or failed and how many votes for each were cast. We then move on to the next mission. and the next leader chooses who will go on the next mission, etc.

There are no private chats in this game. All communication is with me or in the game hread. The spies don't get to communicate privately.

Some missions have different amount of people in them and certain missions may require 2 fail votes to fail(I'll inform you of that). there will be 5 rounds. The resistance needs to complete 3 missions to win the game while the spies need to sabotage 3 missions to win.

There are certain powers that may be given out in some versions of the game but I think we will keep this one vanilla for now. Hope this isn't too confusing. feel free to discuss the rules and ask any questions you might have.

The Roster

1. TheBigAwesome

2. cgzpack

3. MadHatter

4.CV147

5.BillyB.Ace

Right now I am not sure how to do deadlines with this game so I think we will play it by ear. Probably just wait till everyone votes then move to next part of game. Unless we have a no show for a long while. Since Memorial day is coming up we won't start till Tuesday at the earliest.

in

@tspoke, after quick read of the rules (on the Wiki link) I had four questions. Looks like you've answered two of them.

Wondering what you're thinking regarding the other two.

QUESTIONS:

• Do Spies have PM privileges? NO, there are no private chats in this game.
  • Do members or GM select Mission Leaders? (An added element to the Forum game could be to have a VOTE for each Mission Leader on top of voting to accept/reject the Mission assignment). The GM will randomly select the initial Mission Leader.
  • If GM selects Leaders, is it done randomly? Do players know the order in advance/upfront? (In the card game, the order is predetermined/known in advance by sitting position. In order to best simulate this is in the Forum game, the GM can generate a random order (list) and then just go down that list after the players/GM select the initial Mission Leader.) GM randomly selects an order for the leaders and will work through the list then start back at the beginning if needed.
  • Will the EXACT vote be revealed or just a “Success/Failure” result? (If Spies have PM ability, this may not be necessary. If Spies cannot PM each other, then a full vote reveal can hurt them). YES, the GM will announce if the mission succeeded or failed and how many votes for each were cast.

Thanks.

Also, looks like this game is designed to take about "half an hour" to play but it sounds like you are thinking about making it a multiple-day game rather than a one-time sitting game. Is that right?

7 minutes ago, TheBigAwesome said:

@tspoke, after quick read of the rules I had four questions. Looks like you've answered two of them.

Wondering what you're thinking regarding the other two.

QUESTIONS:

• Do Spies have PM privileges? NO, there are no private chats in this game.
  • Do members or GM select Mission Leaders? (An added element to the Forum game could be to have a VOTE for each Mission Leader on top of voting to accept/reject the Mission assignment).
  • If GM selects Leaders, is it done randomly? Do players know the order in advance/upfront? (In the card game, the order is predetermined/known in advance by sitting position. In order to best simulate this is in the Forum game, the GM can generate a random order (list) and then just go down that list after the players/GM select the initial Mission Leader.)
  • Will the EXACT vote be revealed or just a “Success/Failure” result? (If Spies have PM ability, this may not be necessary. If Spies cannot PM each other, then a full vote reveal can hurt them). YES, the GM will announce if the mission succeeded or failed and how many votes for each were cast.

Thanks.

Also, looks like this game is designed to take about "half an hour" to play but it sounds like you are thinking about making it a multiple-day game rather than a one-time sitting game. Is that right?

Thanks for the questions.

-Correct no pM privileges for the spies.

-I will randomly select an order for the leaders and we will work our way through the list then start back at the beginning if we work our way through it.

-Yes I will reveal the votes(obviously not who voted what but for example I would reveal there were 2 successful votes and 1 failure vote. And yes that could make it difficult for the spies. That's part of the fun.

9 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Thanks for the questions.

-Correct no pM privileges for the spies.

-I will randomly select an order for the leaders and we will work our way through the list then start back at the beginning if we work our way through it.

-Yes I will reveal the votes(obviously not who voted what but for example I would reveal there were 2 successful votes and 1 failure vote. And yes that could make it difficult for the spies. That's part of the fun.

Thanks (I added your answer to my post above).

Who selects the initial Mission Leader? Will that also be you or will the players chose after seeing the randomized order (how/where everyone is "seated")?

6 minutes ago, TheBigAwesome said:

Thanks (I added your answer to my post above).

Who selects the initial Mission Leader? Will that also be you or will the players chose after seeing the randomized order (how/where everyone is "seated")?

Right now I plan on selecting it randomly. We can see how everything works and tweak it if we want.

8 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Right now I plan on selecting it randomly. We can see how everything works and tweak it if we want.

Thanks again (I added your answer to my post above).

Oh and I forgot to answer this question.

42 minutes ago, TheBigAwesome said:

We'll play it by ear here. It won't be all in one sitting. I want people to have time to talk and discuss things but in general as soon as everyone votes on things that need to be voted on then we will advance. We'll see how it goes and change things up if we decide. This is a blind test run. I have never actually played this game and only saw briefly that it can be done on a messageboard so we are experimenting and I will probably screw some things up.

Here is a game of it being played if anyone is interested in getting a feeling for it.

On 5/26/2016 at 0:16 PM, tspoke said:

Right now I am not sure how to do deadlines with this game so I think we will play it by ear. Probably just wait till everyone votes then move to next part of game. Unless we have a no show for a long while. Since Memorial day is coming up we won't start till Tuesday at the earliest.

Just checking if you still plan on starting Tuesday?

Tuesday works for me.

Looking to get this started in an hour or so. Looks like we we have 5 players. Would have preferred 6 but oh well. 5 works fine.

here's how we do this.

You are a member of an underground Resistance cell. Your mission is the destroy three Imperial bases, which will be of such devastation to the Imperium that they will be overthrown.

There are 2 spies in your midst so beware.

There is a leader every turn, which rotates along this list:

Cv147 is the first leader.

The leader will discuss with all and then choose the people to go on the mission.

The number of people on the missions:
Mission 1: 2
Mission 2: 3
Mission 3: 2
Mission 4: 3
Mission 5:3

The leader will post the proposal like this.

Proposal 1.1 - Sam, Joe

That is the official proposal. At that time there is 24 hours to get your vote in, plus whatever extra I give you before I sign on again and post the results. Any non-vote at that time becomes a vote 'for' the mission.

The vote should be in this format:

Vote 1.1 - YourNameHere - For/Against

Now, the 1.1 is going to change. Whenever a mission happens, increase the first number there. Whenever you vote down a mission, increase the second number. That way, nobody can claim that they didn't know that it was the 5th vote, because they had to put that format in there.

Be sure to PM me your vote. You can discuss your vote, but unless it's in my PM inbox I do not care.

I will post the results, which will include the player names.

If the mission is voted down, leadership passes to the next person and we have more discussion.

If the mission is voted to go, the people on the mission geekmail me whether they PASS it or FAIL it. (24 hour deadline here too)

When I have all those, I post the results and we go to the next mission, with the next leader in line.

If there are any fail cards, the mission has failed. If there are all pass cards, the mission has succeeded.

Good hunting.

The resistance huddles together in their small base located outside the capital city limits. They are under equipped and under fed and they know they don't have much longer left to fight. However there has been a plan mad and a weakness of the government has been found. The resistance knows that if they can destroy 3 key bases ,the tide in the war will be turned and the people will once and for all be free from the oppressive government. They are also aware that there is a good chance they have been infiltrated by imperial spies.

As they gather around the planning table to plan the first attack on the first Imperial base they all turn their eyes to CV147 to for the mission plan.

This is where you start lobbying to go on the mission and we are waiting for CV to make his choice. I figure this part and approving the mission will be the parts of the game with the most discussion. We will have a 24 hour deadline for each stage but we will move a head when we can(leader chooses team, everyone has voted).