Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAD MACGYVER

CSU WR Deionte Gaines Leaving Team

36 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

dang...and right before csu goes to the big 12.

Just part of the process and negotiations.  Apparently we have to "trade" a few players to Texas.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

dang...and right before csu goes to the big 12.

Masterfully done 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

7 hours ago, jimjam said:

Losing Gaines hurts.

I'd give him praise as a player but TBSUF would downplay his abilities. 

Rashard Higgens was my favorite MWC player.  Even at 70% last year he was almost uncover able 1 on 1.  Highly commendable.

BTW that is not how TBSUF works, now that he has left your team he is clearly irreplaceable, your QB will have nobody to throw to and you will most likely be a 35 point underdog to Boise this year.B) 

24 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Losing Deionte is a big blow.  Here's hoping JUCO's Michael Gallup and Dietrich Clark can fill in for him.

We'll be fine.  He was extremely talented, but after two suspensions last season and being held out of spring this year for "violation of team rules" I have to think that not everything he brought to the team was positive.  There's no question that we are better on the field with him, but there is enough emerging talent to win without him.

I hope he gets things straight and is very successful.  Best of luck to him.

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

We'll be fine.  He was extremely talented, but after two suspensions last season and being held out of spring this year for "violation of team rules" I have to think that not everything he brought to the team was positive.  There's no question that we are better on the field with him, but there is enough emerging talent to win without him.

I hope he gets things straight and is very successful.  Best of luck to him.

Who are you guys expecting to step up next year?  Loosing Higgens, Hansley, that TE and now Gaines will test your depth for sure.  What names should we keep an eye on? 

For starters, John Freismuth.  Was a phenom in HS at both WR and Safety, but played 4A and wasn't very highly recruited.  I watched him in person as a HS player and a lot of teams missed the boat.  He'll be a RS Soph, I think, this year.  Tore up the spring game until he broke his collarbone.  Collarbones heal quick and he'll be 100% by fall.

JUCO's Michael Gallup and Dietrich Clark were very highly sought after and are expected to contribute right away.

At 6'4", 218# Xavier Williams will be a load if he can finally fulfill some of his potential.  Both Mac and Bobo have commented that he could be better than Higgins if he wanted to.  Or in other words, he needs to quit taking plays off and he'll be a force.

But to the point of my post... (sarcasm here) I've personally spoken with several of CSU's coaches and the plan all along was to go ahead and put 10 other guys on the field with Gaines anyway.  He wasn't going to be more than 1/11th of the starting O anyway.  Also, (no sarcasm here) while we need solid receivers they are not what will make or break our offense.  CSU's success will hinge on the running game.  The passing game will be used to keep teams honest and burn them bad if they don't stay honest.  We need excellent results from our O-line, RB's and QB.  The WR's are going to be icing on the cake if all goes right, and the playbook will make decent WR's look really good if everything else works.

25 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Who are you guys expecting to step up next year?  Loosing Higgens, Hansley, that TE and now Gaines will test your depth for sure.  What names should we keep an eye on? 

Xavier Williams and Elroy Masters.

17 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

For starters, John Freismuth.  Was a phenom in HS at both WR and Safety, but played 4A and wasn't very highly recruited.  I watched him in person as a HS player and a lot of teams missed the boat.  He'll be a RS Soph, I think, this year.  Tore up the spring game until he broke his collarbone.  Collarbones heal quick and he'll be 100% by fall.

JUCO's Michael Gallup and Dietrich Clark were very highly sought after and are expected to contribute right away.

At 6'4", 218# Xavier Williams will be a load if he can finally fulfill some of his potential.  Both Mac and Bobo have commented that he could be better than Higgins if he wanted to.  Or in other words, he needs to quit taking plays off and he'll be a force.

But to the point of my post... (sarcasm here) I've personally spoken with several of CSU's coaches and the plan all along was to go ahead and put 10 other guys on the field with Gaines anyway.  He wasn't going to be more than 1/11th of the starting O anyway.  Also, (no sarcasm here) while we need solid receivers they are not what will make or break our offense.  CSU's success will hinge on the running game.  The passing game will be used to keep teams honest and burn them bad if they don't stay honest.  We need excellent results from our O-line, RB's and QB.  The WR's are going to be icing on the cake if all goes right, and the playbook will make decent WR's look really good if everything else works.

O-line depth is a concern for CSU heading into next years.  I think you have 4 guys who should be solid to good, still need somebody to emerge at RT and hope you don't get the injury bug.  If everybody stays healthy it should be a top half MWC O-line, at least.  I'm hoping to see Trae move to RT.  I think he is one of your best 6. You guys have a few talented kids coming in at RB that should compete with Dawkins for playing time or maybe even win the starting job.  Looking at the offense there just is not a lot of firepower there.  That young O-line could really be something in a year or two though.  I know I am not as well educated as a CSU die hard, but I did watch 8 CSU games last year and frequent your board a few times a week like I do with most MWC boards.

Williams looked good against USU but saying he has the potential to be better than Higgens sounds like coach speak to motivate him.  I did not see Higgens type talent.  That is not a knock BTW.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate regarding the OL.  We return the bulk of last years OL this year, and will return the bulk of this years OL next year.  I feel like we're recruiting pretty well there, but it obviously needs to be more of a priority next year and going forward.  Mac left some pretty big holes to be filled elsewhere, so OL couldn't be addressed to the level it needed to be this year.  It still was pretty good IMO.

I'm not sure where we'll see Trae, I'm just sure we'll see lots of him.  I read a lot of comments on other venues when he signed that he was overrated and I think he has already proven them wrong.  It's just stupid for laymen to try and judge linemen of all positions until they've had a couple of years to develop.  Will Friend is an absolute stud and the line both now and going forward are the least of my worries.

As for RB, I'm pretty excited there as well although a lot of it is based on rumors and not my eyeballs.  We only had Dawkins and Lewis for the spring game, and both looked solid against a very good LB corps.  We know what Izzy is capable of, and rumor says that Peters was tearing it up until he sprained his ankle.  We also recruited very well at that position this year.  I try not too get excited about freshmen but it is one of the easiest positions for a young guy to excel at.

If our JR QB or the Grad transfer can figure it out this summer I think the POTENTIAL is there for a dangerous offense.  Don't ask about defense...I'm very worried.

As for Williams, I don't think anyone has seen Higgins level talent there except for (reportedly) some good coaches.  I have seen him flash some real brilliance, but it's been the exception and not the rule.  I'm hoping he can get the breakout folks think he is capable of.  Again though, IF (I know it's an if) Bobo can get his offense to do what he's designed it to do then I could check in at WR and not hurt the team.  OK, I can't catch, block, or run but you get the point.

18 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate regarding the OL.  We return the bulk of last years OL this year, and will return the bulk of this years OL next year.  I feel like we're recruiting pretty well there, but it obviously needs to be more of a priority next year and going forward.  Mac left some pretty big holes to be filled elsewhere, so OL couldn't be addressed to the level it needed to be this year.  It still was pretty good IMO.

I'm not sure where we'll see Trae, I'm just sure we'll see lots of him.  I read a lot of comments on other venues when he signed that he was overrated and I think he has already proven them wrong.  It's just stupid for laymen to try and judge linemen of all positions until they've had a couple of years to develop.  Will Friend is an absolute stud and the line both now and going forward are the least of my worries.

As for RB, I'm pretty excited there as well although a lot of it is based on rumors and not my eyeballs.  We only had Dawkins and Lewis for the spring game, and both looked solid against a very good LB corps.  We know what Izzy is capable of, and rumor says that Peters was tearing it up until he sprained his ankle.  We also recruited very well at that position this year.  I try not too get excited about freshmen but it is one of the easiest positions for a young guy to excel at.

If our JR QB or the Grad transfer can figure it out this summer I think the POTENTIAL is there for a dangerous offense.  Don't ask about defense...I'm very worried.

As for Williams, I don't think anyone has seen Higgins level talent there except for (reportedly) some good coaches.  I have seen him flash some real brilliance, but it's been the exception and not the rule.  I'm hoping he can get the breakout folks think he is capable of.  Again though, IF (I know it's an if) Bobo can get his offense to do what he's designed it to do then I could check in at WR and not hurt the team.  OK, I can't catch, block, or run but you get the point.

Oh I agree about the O-line.  I was trying to make that evident but I guess I did a poor job.  I was saying, worst case scenario is they are a top half of the MWC O-line.  The strength of your team aside from QB.  Everybody behind the returners is just really young which is why I have questions about depth but like you said you have recruited the positions well for a few years now.  RT will be a good battle.  I like Trae there because of what it seems you want to do on offense.  He is a perfect road grader where the other guys competing for the spot seem to be more finesse ala Boise (much to my chagrin but that seems to be changine this offseason).  CSU has a pretty decent QB, if you have 1 or 2 guys ready to go for 700 yards each than this is a top 4 offense in the MWC. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Oh I agree about the O-line.  I was trying to make that evident but I guess I did a poor job.  I was saying, worst case scenario is they are a top half of the MWC O-line.  The strength of your team aside from QB.  Everybody behind the returners is just really young which is why I have questions about depth but like you said you have recruited the positions well for a few years now.  RT will be a good battle.  I like Trae there because of what it seems you want to do on offense.  He is a perfect road grader where the other guys competing for the spot seem to be more finesse ala Boise (much to my Chagrin but that seems to be changine this offseason).  CSU has a pretty decent QB, if you have 1 or 2 guys ready to go for 700 yards each than this is a top 4 offense in the MWC. 

I do appreciate your knowledge of the RAMS.  I've been trying to form some fairly responsible and in depth opinions of the other teams in the MWC as well.  Maybe someday I'll find that kind of time, but in the meantime my hat is off to you for your research.

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I do appreciate your knowledge of the RAMS.  I've been trying to form some fairly responsible and in depth opinions of the other teams in the MWC as well.  Maybe someday I'll find that kind of time, but in the meantime my hat is off to you for your research.

MWC sports is my favorite hobby so I spend a few hours a week lurking the homer boards and read all the off season reports from board "insiders" and journalists as well as keep up on their recruiting classes.  Besides how could I properly spar with TCSUF's if I did not know much about there program?

Seriously though CSU is on the right track.  I would like to see 8 wins this year setting up for double digits the year after.

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

MWC sports is my favorite hobby so I spend a few hours a week lurking the homer boards and read all the off season reports from board "insiders" and journalists as well as keep up on their recruiting classes.  Besides how could I properly spar with TCSUF's if I did not know much about there program?

Seriously though CSU is on the right track.  I would like to see 8 wins this year setting up for double digits the year after.

I think we're looking at 7 this year, but I am bullish on the notion that we'll at least get a week in the top 25 the following year.  I know that sounds a little out there, and I really don't need any of the stats nerds on this site confronting me with number spin, it's just my hunch.  It's based on some factors, but still just a hunch.

I predicted 6-6 and a bowl win in '13 - dead on.

I predicted 10-2 and a bowl win in '14 - F Utah.

I predicted 7-5 and a bowl win in '15 - F Reno.

I haven't predicted who we'd beat and lose to even close, but overall I've been fairly lucky with my end of season hunches so I'll stick with the above.

I've got to study Boise some more.  We've never beat Boise and I feel like breaking that streak will be the thing that brings the energy and local support back to CSU FB.  I really do see that as a key.  Bobo intends to do it in '16, but I'm looking at '17 as a much stronger possibility.  Depending on how certain issues shake out in '16.