sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

On 8/21/2018 at 6:39 AM, ph90702 said:

Menzies is building with high school players

I dont care if he builds with lego. He better get to the tournament by next season.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:08 AM, 4UNLV said:

Trey will not play much this season unless hes clearly better than bryce or hardy. I doubt that the way MM has raved about Amauri. Or maybe if Robotham or Clyburn are just too bad to play. MM loves both of them.

18 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I dont care if he builds with lego. He better get to the tournament by next season.

Trey will not play much this season unless hes clearly better than bryce or hardy. I doubt that the way MM has raved about Amauri. Or maybe if Robotham or Clyburn are just too bad to play. MM loves both of them.

i think trey will end up being on the court a lot.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2018 at 6:32 AM, NWRebel said:

You insinuated that I had given up on Menzies after two years.  I don't think those words ever came from me.  I support him and believe he deserves year three.  The point I was making which you disregarded was that I expect to see improvement in their defense play in year three.  Clyburn doesn't play defense and it sounds like he will be seeing significant minutes.  He isn't going to change in a year as he has spent his career playing like that.

Where are you hearing he'll be getting significant minutes? General consensus has been Robo, Hardy, Hamilton/Beck, Juice, Diong.

Clyburn getting any mins isn't necessarily the problem. He was inconsistent, but his shot got better year 2. Clyburn can be a contributor, we just don't need him getting 25+ mins like last season.

Clyburn was our 2nd best perimeter defender last year. Johnson and Mooring couldn't stay in front of their own guys. Hardy showed a lot of promise.. I expect Anthony Marshall type of progress out of him, except Hardy is light years ahead of where Antmarsh was as a freshman scoring/shooting wise.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:32 AM, NWRebel said:

As I said I expect a better defensive effort from this team this year.  If MM can't show that after three seasons then expectations for year 4 or 5 won't change much.  You have to be able to coach up these kids to perform competitively at a division one level.  UNLV has too much invested in facilities to expect mediocre performances.  All you have to do is look at Muss and what he has done in a short time to see that we to can and should be playing at a better level.  If you don't see that then carry on.

You're putting too much on Menzies on defense considering the options he had.

Who were our perimeter defenders?

6' Mooring and Johnson. 6'3 Freshman Hardy. 6'6 Clyburn 

Getting blown by and asking McCoy and Juice to clean up...something it took McCoy 80% of the year to finally start doing?  (Finished 2nd in MWC for Blocks%)

It's like blaming Menzies for our last place (by nearly 4% worse from the next team and 11% worse than the top MWC team) 3 point shooting. I mean teams begged us to shoot wide open 3's half the game.

I'm not questioning your stance on defense...I just think there is no way to regress. Defensively it should be a given that this team will be much better. I expect him to coach up guys like Diong and Hardy to improve...Mooring/JJ/Clyburn....not so much.

UNLV does have too much invested to expect mediocrity, but 2 years after a ground up rebuild....I can't see how people can be pessimistic with where we are at this point. We all knew it was gonna take time to build this thing...

Muss. Muss. Muss. Not sure if you've been paying attention, but Reno is building the complete opposite of us. 2016 Musselman was out recruiting proven NC State and Purdue transfers meanwhile Menzies was still interviewing his team trying to figure out how many players were staying. (3....3....players stayed. lol)

Muss is doing a helluva job. It will be interesting if he keeps hitting transfer lottery...if he stays, but Menzies is building from ground up and in a totally different fashion.

Christian Jones, Uche Ofoegbu, Zion Morgan, Troy Baxter, Larry Bush, Dembele, Couper, Slijanovic....who again?

Diong, Juiston, McCoy, Hardy, Beck

Hamilton, Woodbury, Robotham

I mean I see progress on paper. I saw progress last season. There is this weird urgency like we should be better than we are right now. Grass is always greener type of thinking I guess, but Menzies deserves his shot without this cloud of Dave Rice funk around him from fans still sour from the coaching search.

• Like 1
On 8/23/2018 at 7:31 AM, 4UNLV said:

i think trey will end up being on the court a lot.

Me too. Just not this year. Hes a 4 year player. His impact looks like so, jr, sr. 

I see him with spot minutes, foul problem situations, blow out scores, etc. 

I say that because Marv seems to play favorites at times. I also dont think MM will play a ton of 3 guard line ups. Beck and Ntambwe will see almost all of those minutes.

Say what you want about Menzies, but nmsu was better than UNLV in DRs last couple years. A lot of the players MM has brought here are similar to guys who played on some of his best nmsu teams, and other stops. Theyre just all very young.

JTT is a Pascal Siakam clone. Same schools and programs. No promise hes 1/10th the player, but MM's job relies on coaching guys like this up. If hes as good as Marvin says he is, NBA. If not, he will have missed on JTT and Dembele, and that could get him fired.

Bryce is a lot like Christian Kabongo. Same stars, size, game. Kabongo got up a lot of shots and had the ball in his hands a lot under MM. Theyre the same player.

Ethan has the same hs stats, star rating and demeanor as Ian Clark a 3-4 year starter under MM at nmsu. Ethans hs rankings, numbers and star ratings are also nearly identical to Oscar Bellfields. Menzies was at UNLV when Belli was brought to UNLV under LK.

Ntambwe, Diong and Bangai are all prototypical Rick Pitino, Louisville, African developmental bigs. If not for slick Ricks issues at UL, I seriously doubt MM lands Diong, and possibly Ntambwe. MM mostly did not get players of this caliber at nmsu, esp as walkons, and he had some very thin rosters. Thione also probably never makes it to Utah if Pitino is at UL.

Saikam and Clark were two players MM won big with at nmsu. One year they were the teams only double digit scorers, and that team won the wac with only one loss! Kabongo never played with Clark and Siakam.  The new version of Menzies best players will all play and learn together.

UNLV has given MM the resources to build this years team into about as deep and talented a team as hes ever had as HC. Plus a slew of HM bigs and prospects like Green, Brown and Hill to take it all to the next level. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

I mean I see progress on paper. I saw progress last season. There is this weird urgency like we should be better than we are right now. Grass is always greener type of thinking I guess, but Menzies deserves his shot without this cloud of Dave Rice funk around him from fans still sour from the coaching search.

I’m obviously not a unlv fan but I’d imagine the urgency from the fan base is completely due to rivals rebuilding quickly, What Paul weir and Muss have both done makes it more difficult on Menzie.

If it wasn’t for the quick turnaround of their programs people would probably think Menzies is on the right track.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jaredcg said:

I’m obviously not a unlv fan but I’d imagine the urgency from the fan base is completely due to rivals rebuilding quickly, What Paul weir and Muss have both done makes it more difficult on Menzie.

If it wasn’t for the quick turnaround of their programs people would probably think Menzies is on the right track.

Weir and Musselman are going after a bunch of transfers.  So you can’t really compare them to Menzies.  Apples and oranges.

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Weir and Musselman are going after a bunch of transfers.  So you can’t really compare them to Menzies.  Apples and oranges.

Yeah. You're not impressed with the 5` and 4` freshman Muss recruited?

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Yeah. You're not impressed with the 5` and 4` freshman Muss recruited?

Not really.  He still recruits mostly transfers.  He only got the five star because he started recruiting him when he was a zero star.  UNLV got Rashad Vaughn after only recruiting him for six months.  Iowa State started recruiting him in the eighth grade.

9 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Did I mention anything about transfers? I said the quicker turnaround makes things more difficult on Menzies.

Side note I always find it funny when UNLV turn their nose up on transfers when that is how Tark built teams and you guys won a championship full of transfers.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Not really.  He still recruits mostly transfers.  He only got the five star because he started recruiting him when he was a zero star.  UNLV got Rashad Vaughn after only recruiting him for six months.  Iowa State started recruiting him in the eighth grade.

Nevada has 1 transfer sitting out this year..They have 3 incoming freshmen..I am not sure where your 'mostly' metric applies.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Nevada has 1 transfer sitting out this year..They have 3 incoming freshmen..I am not sure where your 'mostly' metric applies.

How many transfers are currently on the roster?

Dont worry. We will wait 

• Like 1

I suppose if Muss was UNLV's coach and we were actually winning and making NCAA tourneys our fans would still be complaining about all the transfers on our team.  :rolleyes:

Rebel fans keep saying MM is doing it the right way.  How do you know?  When he starts winning and getting us to tourneys then you could say he has done it the right way.  But, as of right now there is no proof.  I'm just going to watch and wait to see if our recruiting methodology gets us to the next level.  Hope it does but, I haven't seen success on the floor yet.  

• Like 6
3 hours ago, qwelish said:

How many transfers are currently on the roster?

Dont worry. We will wait 

There are lots of transfers on the roster..Muss has said many times he thought it was the best way to jump start a rebuild..However, he also recruits freshmen.  I don't know why this hurts feeling at UNLV..Nevada is hardly the only program that does this..

• Facepalm 1