Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

The biggest thing about Menzies is that he’s good at keeping people here.  He lost three players to transfer after year one, but two of the three were players who wouldn’t have been recruited for the circumstances.  Nobody left after this year.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/jul/28/unlv-basketball-recruiting-baby-lebron-for-2019/

After leading his Team CP3 squad to an 89-56 win over Team Melo at the Bigfoot Hoops Las Vegas Classic on Thursday night, Collum wasn’t bashful when asked to describe his style of play.

“Baby LeBron,” he said with a smile.

Collum has a long way to go before he’s on the level of King James, but there are some physical comparisons to be made. Collum, a 6-foot-8 point-forward from Tennessee Prep (Memphis, Tenn.), is an athletic finisher who can play inside-out on the offensive end.

Collum announced his final seven colleges in June, with UNLV, Florida State, Florida, Louisville, Missouri, Ole Miss and Georgetown making the cut.

UNLV is the only school in the western half of the country under consideration, but the Rebels have a helpful southern connection thanks to newly-named assistant coach Preston Laird, a former walk-on player at Memphis with strong ties to the area. Collum said Laird’s current fiancé was his third-grade teacher, and that has helped him develop a good relationship with the UNLV coach.

“He’s from Memphis, and his fiancé was my elementary-school teacher,” Collum said. “And we really just bonded from there. I feel like it’s a family environment.”

Collum said he will begin planning official visits after the AAU season concludes. He hasn’t taken any officials yet, but he remembers going on an unofficial tour of the UNLV campus with his former AAU team a few years ago because it featured a memorable pickup game against Dakota and Dylan Gonzalez, who played for the Lady Rebels from 2015 to 2017.

12 hours ago, TheJackel said:

See ya Coupet and Silvancinin

I think you are right. Menzies is still recruiting multiple positions. I can see a class of Anderson, Brown, Cullom and a Big. Let's face it, the bulk of UNLV's rotation the last 2 years the players would have never been recruited to or played at UNLV. That's why I feel before rushing to judgement let's see what Menzies can do with Bryce Hamilton at the off guard vs JoJo Mooring or Christian Brown at the 3 vs Kris Clyburn. 

1 hour ago, PrimeReb said:

I think you are right. Menzies is still recruiting multiple positions. I can see a class of Anderson, Brown, Cullom and a Big. Let's face it, the bulk of UNLV's rotation the last 2 years would have never been recruited to or played at UNLV. That's why I feel before rushing to judgement let's see what Menzies can do with Bryce Hamilton at the off guard vs JoJo Mooring or Christian Brown at the 3 vs Kris Clyburn. 

I think they can wait a year to get a big and round out the class with Jalen Hill.  Hill provides an in with 2020 recruit Julian Strawther and 2022 Jaden Hardy and with Juiston gone that really only leaves Beck and maybe Ntawmbe(?) to cover the 3/4 positions.  Get Collum, Brown, And Hill and those are solid additions- you could put out a 2-5 lineup of guys 6’6” to 6’9”. This, of course, all hinges on the hope that Menzies can teach Dembele to catch a ball so he can be a solid backup for Mbacke.  If not then maybe he isn’t the big man coach we thought he was. 

2 hours ago, TheJackel said:

I think they can wait a year to get a big and round out the class with Jalen Hill.  Hill provides an in with 2020 recruit Julian Strawther and 2022 Jaden Hardy and with Juiston gone that really only leaves Beck and maybe Ntawmbe(?) to cover the 3/4 positions.  Get Collum, Brown, And Hill and those are solid additions- you could put out a 2-5 lineup of guys 6’6” to 6’9”. This, of course, all hinges on the hope that Menzies can teach Dembele to catch a ball so he can be a solid backup for Mbacke.  If not then maybe he isn’t the big man coach we thought he was. 

Although I like Dembele, I just don't think he'll be able to improve enough to make an impact..This is why I'm hesitant to see any more 'projects'.

and btw, I agree with what you said about Jalen HIll. Bring him in along with the other two later. Solid.

7 hours ago, PrimeReb said:

I think you are right. Menzies is still recruiting multiple positions. I can see a class of Anderson, Brown, Cullom and a Big. Let's face it, the bulk of UNLV's rotation the last 2 years would have never been recruited to or played at UNLV.hat's why I feel before rushing to judgement let's see what Menzies can do with Bryce Hamilton at the off guard vs JoJo Mooring or Christian Brown at the 3 vs Kris Clyburn. 

Just a follow up. Menzies has been recruiting 7 foot center Charles "CJ" Coleman Jr. for two years. He is young and will start his senior year at 17 yo. He is blowing up this summer at Pangos was rated one of the top 50 to participate in all the Pango events. He will make room for CJ:

https://youtu.be/913gZzlmJDY

25 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

Just a follow up. Menzies has been recruiting 7 foot center Charles "CJ" Coleman Jr. for two years. He is young and will start his senior year at 17 yo. He is blowing up this summer at Pangos was rated one of the top 50 to participate in all the Pango events. He will make room for CJ:

https://youtu.be/913gZzlmJDY

i know he's going after him pretty hard. and yeah, coleman is getting it done, i'd love to see him here.

On 7/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, TheJackel said:

with Juiston gone that really only leaves Beck and maybe Ntawmbe(?) to cover the 3/4 positions.

I think you guys are forgetting about JTT. Based on what ive been seeing, I think he is being under-appreciated. I think he backs up at both the 4 and 5.

I think hes a lot farther along than Dembele.

18 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I think you guys are forgetting about JTT. Based on what ive been seeing, I think he is being under-appreciated. I think he backs up at both the 4 and 5.

I think hes a lot farther along than Dembele.

Dembele is a dud.  That simple.  He would not be here if Menzies didn’t have ten scholarships to hand out when he got here.

20 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Coleman is undervalued nationally.  He’s a top 200 player.

I agree. But Coleman didn't play on the shoe circuit where players are rated nationally until this summer. What I really like about Coleman as a prospect is his skill set. He has a back to the basket game and can step out to the 3 point line and really shoot the ball. That's not too common in 7 footers. Like all freshmen he has a lot to work on. But IMO he could be a really good 4 year player with some time in the weight room and working on his conditioning.