Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

On 5/12/2018 at 10:03 AM, Ernie Baer said:

Lets be honest here, Cole wasn’t coming to UNLV.  Perhaps had Rice been able to make UNLV nationally relevant again they may have had a chance, even then it would have been an uphill battle given the competition.    

I’m sure this wasn’t an easy one for the staff.

On one hand, if you know you have next to no chance with a player why invest the time.  Plus if a player(s) find out you are spending a lot of time focusing on him it could have turned others they actually me have a chance with off.

On the other hand, not trying to recruit a player whose jersey is hanging in the rafters is going to be a difficult pill for at least some of the fanbase to swallow.

UNLV hasn't exactly landed any former players sons....Jeter being the last big time recruit and he was right here in town at Gorman 

I guess maybe UNLV should have made contact to at least say they gave a former players son a look, but like you said, if the kid isn't coming why waste much effort

There have been some top ranked sons of former players and from what I can recall, not a one has ended up at UNLV despite some even playing HS ball here - Mike Lloyds sons (played locally) .........Sidney Greens son (didn't play locally) 

About the only son of a former player I can think of is Damian Smith, son of Tony Smith .........even 1977 PG Robert Smith's son didn't come to UNLV though he did land in the MWC at UNM 

This is just an axe for some of the fans to grind their teeth over since the end of the Tark era 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV hasn't exactly landed any former players sons....Jeter being the last big time recruit and he was right here in town at Gorman 

I guess maybe UNLV should have made contact to at least say they gave a former players son a look, but like you said, if the kid isn't coming why waste much effort

There have been some top ranked sons of former players and from what I can recall, not a one has ended up at UNLV despite some even playing HS ball here - Mike Lloyds sons (played locally) .........Sidney Greens son (didn't play locally) 

About the only son of a former player I can think of is Damian Smith, son of Tony Smith .........even 1977 PG Robert Smith's son didn't come to UNLV though he did land in the MWC at UNM 

This is just an axe for some of the fans to grind their teeth over since the end of the Tark era 

Menzies did recruit Jeter after he transferred from Duke and meet with Chase and Chris Jeter at the Mendenhall. Nothing more than a courtesy visit IMO. Jeter went to Arizona. Also, Pat Savoy's son PJ Savoy was offered by Menzies after he left junior college last year and was recruited hard because UNLV needed a shooter and 2 guard bad and I think he had 3 years of eligibility. In fact PJ would in all likelihood would have started ahead of JoJo. He opted for Florida State instead and ended up coming off the bench playing sporadic minutes. Next was Christian Poopola who Menzies was evaluating two summers ago and he gave Menzies a short dead line and committed to BYU. Then Poopola un-committed from BYU for some reason and then committed to Utah. I don't think Poopola played much at Utah as a freshman and if he would have  waited there is a good chance he would have been offered. 

There are 3 legacy players Menzies attempted to recruit to UNLV. 

Also, UNLV was recruiting Ty Nesby's kid who played prep school ball in Pennsylvania. But since he plays the same position as Hamilton and Woodbury and they committed I don't see the need. 

On 5/12/2018 at 7:47 AM, ph90702 said:

That would make things even worse.  Menzies had no obligation to justify his recruiting to fans.  I would actually think less of him if he did.

Honestly I've been agreeing with you a lot on this thread. Let Menzies do his job and get who he feels is best fit and let the chips fall given that unlike Rice he seems interested in building a stable basketball program and not just be a one or transfer and done factory.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

5 Star SF Christian Brown released his Top 7:

UNLV

Clemson

NC State

South Carolina

Seton Hall

Georgia

Florida

Schools that made the cut. He's one of the best all around & most versatile players in the country. Menzies working hard to land Brown!

EA04A4AA-F5DD-4A65-833D-50D71A415FB5.jpeg

The bottom line with Menzies is whether he can put together a real good team this coming season. Any sort of setback or another year of zero postseason appearance, he’s toast. 

So if he doesn’t want to recruit Anthony’s kid, that’s fine because if the team does real well next season then nobody will care. If the wheels come off, then the non-recruitment of Cole will just be another reason to dump Menzies. 

On 5/12/2018 at 7:30 PM, BleedRebelRed said:

Absolutely agree that Greg Anthony wasn't sending his son to play for Menzies.  Also, Greg never implied there was any chance, just tossed a match on the fire.

This is not on Menzies.  This is more fallout from the extremely dysfunctional '15-'16 season.

In the wake of the ouster of Dave Rice, Greg Anthony was a key player in the group “Rebels for Success” that campaigned that Stacey Augmon was entitled to be UNLV's next coach.  They paid for a full-page ad in the RJ.  They collaborated with NY Times writer William Rhoden to push the message further that the only reason Stacey wasn't automatically the interim coach and next permanent UNLV coach was due to blatant racism.  The message was growing and there was significant concern that there would ultimately be legal action against the university.  When Menzies ended up being hired that movement quietly disbanded, but "Rebels for Success" did not support the Menzies hire.

That's crazy.  And even after reading your post, I'm stunned UNLV didn't offer a scholarship just to gauge interest.

10 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

That's crazy.  And even after reading your post, I'm stunned UNLV didn't offer a scholarship just to gauge interest.

With the amount of offers they are throwing around, I agree. Even an offer/recruitment could help down the line should a player ever transfer. 

But as I say, results are ultimately what’s going to matter here. Menzies has the ability to pull in top tier talent, we saw that last offseason.

So I’m not concerned about Menzies recruiting abilities, rather the focus should be on the development under Menzies. We got some guys that are entering their third year with the program and still won’t be in the conversation for meaningful playing time. That to me, is a problem. 

12 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

With the amount of offers they are throwing around, I agree. Even an offer/recruitment could help down the line should a player ever transfer. 

But as I say, results are ultimately what’s going to matter here. Menzies has the ability to pull in top tier talent, we saw that last offseason.

So I’m not concerned about Menzies recruiting abilities, rather the focus should be on the development under Menzies. We got some guys that are entering their third year with the program and still won’t be in the conversation for meaningful playing time. That to me, is a problem. 

I would agree with you, except I don't think that those 3rd year guys picked up on the fly would see much playing time in any D1 school.

30 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I would agree with you, except I don't think that those 3rd year guys picked up on the fly would see much playing time in any D1 school.

Exactly - Some of the coming 3rd year guys were part of that short, hurried scramble to field a team recruiting class - Menzies has really only had two recruiting classes under normal circumstances and Menzies is still taking on band aids to fill out the roster this season

On 5/14/2018 at 3:36 PM, RebelRobert said:

5 Star SF Christian Brown released his Top 7:

UNLV

Clemson

NC State

South Carolina

Seton Hall

Georgia

Florida

Schools that made the cut. He's one of the best all around & most versatile players in the country. Menzies working hard to land Brown!

EA04A4AA-F5DD-4A65-833D-50D71A415FB5.jpeg

That list certainly looks like UNLV has a legit shot. The only west coast team. Only Seton Hall and Florida worry me at all. But UF, though.

Also noticing that UNLV used to be locked in recruiting battles for key guys with SDSU, reno, UNM. Now its like either the staff is getting in deep with some 5 star not really looking at any other MWC school, or he's pulling recruits like JTT, Diong, Ntambwe, out of nowhere. They appear on the radar and are signed in the blink of an eye.

Not sure if its good or not that theyre getting unheard of recruits instead of competing for 'names' and stars, but the staff has added a lot of size, athleticism and length with Hamilton, Diong, Ntambwe and JTT.

UNLV is looking at 2018 High School Seniior KC Hankto.  He is a 6’8” stretch-four out of Charlotte, NC who plays for United Faith Christian Academy.  He would be eligible to play immediately.

C372AA5D-02D0-4939-A098-46F2A732EF45.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV is looking at 2018 High School Seniior KC Hankto.  He is a 6’8” stretch-four out of Charlotte, NC who plays for United Faith Christian Academy.  He would be eligible to play immediately.

C372AA5D-02D0-4939-A098-46F2A732EF45.jpeg

Not a chance in hell.  We don’t recruit against Charlotte and Eastern Kentucky.

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

What about Arkansas and Wichita St.?

Anyone can pick and choose, it is fun.

Still not going to happen.  Wichita State doesn’t recruit highly rated players.  Arkansas maybe has passing interest.