Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Another project? 

Nothing wrong with that so long as Menzies can develop him.  I have faith that he can.  Look at Pascal Siakam.  Project from Africa, rotation player for the Raptors.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Another project? 

Looks like it.  If this Rebel team doesn't get better MM may not be around to see any progress with this kid.  I just don't see we need to waste a scholarship on such a project. 

35 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Looks like it.  If this Rebel team doesn't get better MM may not be around to see any progress with this kid.  I just don't see we need to waste a scholarship on such a project. 

You get thirteen scholarships.  We will be fine.  It’s about development.  You can’t have all developmental guys, and that’s the case with our roster.  Menzies is going to add at least one top fifty recruit, maybe two, in 2019.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

You get thirteen scholarships.  We will be fine.  It’s about development.  You can’t have all developmental guys, and that’s the case with our roster.  Menzies is going to add at least one top fifty recruit, maybe two, in 2019.

I would feel more comfortable if we were getting developmental guys out of Detroit, Chicago or Oakland.  Did you watch the video?  This kid physically looks the part but he has zero skills and is likely soft (common with these types).

2 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

I would feel more comfortable if we were getting developmental guys out of Detroit, Chicago or Oakland.  Did you watch the video?  This kid physically looks the part but he has zero skills and is likely soft (common with these types).

Hard to call people from Africa soft.  Detroit, Chicago, and Oakland are Beverly Hills compared to some places in Africa.

I haven't posted in a while. But I will help you guys out a bit. JTT is 6'8" with a 7' 21/2" wing span. Right now he has a 38" vertical and a high motor. Plays well over the rim. He will be a more athletic version of Shakur Juiston. Forget the video above. He is way more skilled than a lot of UNLV bigs like Joel Anthony and Louis Admunson were in high school or at this stage with comparable athletisim to both. From last summer:

https://youtu.be/-5qx9XZLzGM

ESPN on JTT from last summer:

Aug 14, 2017

NBA Global Academy begins to reap fruit
One of the most ambitious ventures undertaken by the NBA in recent years is the Global Academies initiative. The NBA is actively scouting and recruiting elite-level talent around the world to join their six academies in China, India and Senegal, with the goal of giving emerging prospects a pathway to high-level education and professional basketball. The NBA Global Academy is headquartered in Canberra, Australia, at the renowned BA Centre of Excellence, where a handful of prospects from South America, Asia, India and Africa spent much of 2017.

Arguably their most promising talent at the moment is a big man from Cameroon, Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, who only started playing basketball in 2015. We first watched Tchamwa Tchatchoua in February at the NBA Basketball Without Borders Global Camp in New Orleans during All-Star Weekend. We were amazed to see the progress he made in just six months, as he completely reconstructed his shooting mechanics (making 3-pointers impressively in warmups and even one in-game), and showed better hands and much softer touch around the basket.

He mentioned that the goal at the NBA Academy is to take at least 4,000 shots per week, of which he tries to make at least 2,500. That hasn't translated fully to game settings yet, as his production was up and down at the event -- not entirely surprising considering he has barely played in any organized 5-on-5 contests in his short basketball career

JTT, as he's affectionately called, impressed nevertheless with his tremendous physical tools. He has a 7-2½ wingspan, tree trunks for legs and impressive athleticism, being quick off his feet, a menace running the floor in transition and powerful with his finishes thanks to his 38-inch vertical leap. He sets bruising screens, showed the ability to switch onto guards, contains big men in the post with his strength and is a monster on the glass. Best of all, his intangibles appear to be off the charts, as he immediately established himself as the team's translator, leader and hardest worker, asking the many coaches in attendance for extra instruction and the chance to get shots up before and after practices.

Graduating high school in December 2018 in Australia, JTT told us after a game that he's planning on going to college in 2019 (possibly in January), and his improved grades and English may even land him a scholarship with an elite-level academic school. He appears to be the perfect case study for the NBA Global Academy and its future.

I hope this kid is Moses Scurry or Kebu Stewart.

I got a feeling he is Richard Robinson.

Anybody see the way he shoots.  My stomach is hurting already.  We ain’t beating Duke or Kentucky with this bullshit.