Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

6 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

Good post. Who is Nick Irvin? Handler of some kind?

He's with the Mac Irvin Fire, which is the same AAU team Patrick McCaw played for and could t crack the starting lineup.  When he was on it, they had at least three McDonalds All-Americans.

44 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

Good post. Who is Nick Irvin? Handler of some kind?

mac irvin fire is a pretty prominent AAU team, i think out of chicago. they're usually here at the end of july when all the tournaments are in town, i highly recommend you go check out a few games, (not necessarily mac irvin, lol). there were several years i went to gorman or rancho to check out one of the kids rice was recruiting, and would end up watching a different kid i had never heard of, but everybody knew of after that.

6 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Somebody has caught on.

was this your news? it is good news, although we kind of expected it, but there was always that chance that he went out of town.

4 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I see we have a couple of kids taking officials here...

I haven't seen the names.  Who are they?  Also, I heard we're getting a basketball only dorm which is something that very few programs have.

15 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I haven't seen the names.  Who are they?  Also, I heard we're getting a basketball only dorm which is something that very few programs have.

i knew you were going to ask me that, lol, and i'm sad to say i was on my way out the door and didn't pay enough attention. one is a point guard, though. i think.

i wonder if the bball dorm is going to be on the north side where they knocked down those apartments on cottage grove that i used to live in when i first got married.

2 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i knew you were going to ask me that, lol, and i'm sad to say i was on my way out the door and didn't pay enough attention. one is a point guard, though. i think.

i wonder if the bball dorm is going to be on the north side where they knocked down those apartments on cottage grove that i used to live in when i first got married.

I can't remember where they said.  All I know is that most P5's don't have one.  Once it's done, UNLV will be top five in the country in basketball facilities.  Yet people will still call us mid major.

39 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I can't remember where they said.  All I know is that most P5's don't have one.  Once it's done, UNLV will be top five in the country in basketball facilities.  Yet people will still call us mid major.

gotta win some games again.

1 minute ago, Jersey Rebels said:

You mean Rebel Place? They knocked down Rebel Place? When? 

well, it was university park apartments when i lived there a long time ago, lol. when i drove by there the last few games of basketball season i saw that they had knocked down the 4 or 5 closest to maryland parkway. there were still a few down towards the track, i don't know if those are gone by now as well.

5 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

well, it was university park apartments when i lived there a long time ago, lol. when i drove by there the last few games of basketball season i saw that they had knocked down the 4 or 5 closest to maryland parkway. there were still a few down towards the track, i don't know if those are gone by now as well.

Yeah, realized you meant University park before you responded, but after you had quoted me, haha.  Most of them are gone for the U District, which I guess will be where the basketball residences will be (though I've never heard of it yet). 

9 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Yeah, realized you meant University park before you responded, but after you had quoted me, haha.  Most of them are gone for the U District, which I guess will be where the basketball residences will be (though I've never heard of it yet). 

i actually liked living there, even though the apartments weren't the greatest, and were small. my ex was a student, i worked 3/4 of a mile away on spencer and flamingo, and the area wasn't what it is now. we walked to and from rebel games and were home before most were even close to getting out of the parking lot. i always figured the apartments would be knocked down to become dorms.

10 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

My dad lived around the campus when he went there.  It wasn't the best area even back then.

it wasn't when i lived there either, but it wasn't as bad as it is now. and again, i liked the location.

and unofficial...

Corey Evans @coreyevans_10 Jun 2

UNLV is playing host to 2018 top-100 Ohio Basketball Club guard Dwayne Cohill today for an unofficial visit, per source

also cole anthony might have something coming up.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

mac irvin fire is a pretty prominent AAU team, i think out of chicago. they're usually here at the end of july when all the tournaments are in town, i highly recommend you go check out a few games, (not necessarily mac irvin, lol). there were several years i went to gorman or rancho to check out one of the kids rice was recruiting, and would end up watching a different kid i had never heard of, but everybody knew of after that.

The Mac Irvin who founded the program passed a few years back.  The program is primarily ran by his one of his kids Nick Irvin who was a reserve for Jerry at Fresno State back in the latter part of the 90's.  You are correct, their AAU team has been one of the better ones for a couple of decades now.  

47 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

The Mac Irvin who founded the program passed a few years back.  The program is primarily ran by his one of his kids Nick Irvin who was a reserve for Jerry at Fresno State back in the latter part of the 90's.  You are correct, their AAU team has been one of the better ones for a couple of decades now.  

how are you doing, ernie? your thoughts on the upcoming basketball season?

1 hour ago, Ernie Baer said:

They had Cliff Alexander and Jahlil Okafor as their starting front court with Jalen Brunson as their starting point guard a few years ago.

13 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

how are you doing, ernie? your thoughts on the upcoming basketball season?

I’ve been well thanks. Been keeping busy.  Helping work on the movie about Jerry’s life, went to game 1 of the NBA Finals and of course trying to keep up with the grand kids.  

I’m sure you know about that, how has life as a grand parent been?  

As far as UNLV’s basketball upcoming season obviously there needed to be an improvement in talent and the staff accomplished that.  Now comes the real hard part though in getting them to gel together into a cohesive unit on both ends of the floor and to play for each other.  

Some of the problems from last year such as point guard play, limited scoring options, rebounding and having a back to the basket presence should be improved.  Hopefully McCoy doesn’t try to show off for the scouts and hang out too much on the perimeter at the expense of operating in the paint.  

Curious to see how much improved they will be on the defensive end and perimeter shooting which were also problematic last season.