Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

20 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

That is why I wanted him for next year.  I can’t see him with us for two years.  I hope I’m wrong though.  It will make this season more interesting and if he has a great season perhaps we will pickup a good grad transfer to fill in for next year.

Great points. There are three seniors and Tillman. There are what, 5 signings for 2020? There is a glut at the moment, but should not be too hard to fix for TJ. 

I know this isn't recruiting but just wanted to share with Reb fans.  I just got an Uber ride home from Stephen Zimmerman's mom in Reno.  She was a nice lady but home life seemed a little suspect.  Said he is playing in Germany and just had a kid.  He wants to be home in Vegas with his family.

Blake, originally from Las Vegas, Nevada, is a 6-foot-6-inch guard who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. While at Durango High School in Las Vegas, he averaged 17.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. He also played for the Las Vegas Knicks during the AAU season (15.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg).

"Nick has an uncanny ability to score and rebound the basketball," Otzelberger said. "His exceptional ball skills allow him to lead the break, attack off the dribble, and finish at the rim with authority."

Brown, a 6-foot-9-inch forward, from Albany, New York, attends the Loomis Chaffee School in Connecticut. He averaged 10.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.2 blocks and 1.0 steals per game last season, while shooting 56 percent from the field.

"Reece is an exceptional athlete with the versatility to play multiple positions," Otzelberger said. "His high basketball IQ and multifaceted skill set will make him a difficult matchup."

Fleming, a 6-foot-1 guard from Atlanta, Georgia, attends Highland Community College in Illinois. He previously attended Marshalltown Community College in Iowa where he averaged 10.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game last season.

"Nick is a natural floor general with an infectious enthusiasm," Otzelberger said. "His quickness allows him to defend the dribble, push the tempo, and make plays for his teammates."

Lindsey, a 6-foot-4-inch guard from Mineral Point, Wisconsin, attends Mineral Point High School. Last season, he averaged 20.5 points and 4.3 assists per game, making 48.4 percent of his shots, including 35.3 percent on 3-pointers.

"Isaac is a dead-eye shooter with an excellent feel for the game," Otzelberger said. "He can create off the bounce for his teammates as well as impose his will with his knack for making shots."

Martinez, a 6-foot-11-inch center from Vallejo, California, currently attends Dream City Christian School in Arizona. Previously at Coronado High School in Henderson, Nevada, he averaged 12.7 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. He also has played with Vegas Elite during the AAU season. 

"Jhaylon has tremendous hands and passing ability for a big man," Otzelberger said. "His outstanding touch will be an asset for him both on the block and stepping out to the perimeter."

Yap, a 6-foot-3-inch shooting guard from Arbor View High School in Las Vegas, averaged 15.2 points, 3.7 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game last season. He led his team to its first state tournament appearance since 2007.

"Donavan is a dynamic playmaking guard that is electric with the basketball," Otzelberger said. "He shoots it well from the perimeter and excels as a passer when he breaks down the defense."

All six Rebel commitments will join the program starting with the 2020-21 season

On 11/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, UNLV2001 said:

Blake, originally from Las Vegas, Nevada, is a 6-foot-6-inch guard who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. While at Durango High School in Las Vegas, he averaged 17.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game. He also played for the Las Vegas Knicks during the AAU season (15.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg).

"Nick has an uncanny ability to score and rebound the basketball," Otzelberger said. "His exceptional ball skills allow him to lead the break, attack off the dribble, and finish at the rim with authority."

Brown, a 6-foot-9-inch forward, from Albany, New York, attends the Loomis Chaffee School in Connecticut. He averaged 10.2 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.2 blocks and 1.0 steals per game last season, while shooting 56 percent from the field.

"Reece is an exceptional athlete with the versatility to play multiple positions," Otzelberger said. "His high basketball IQ and multifaceted skill set will make him a difficult matchup."

Fleming, a 6-foot-1 guard from Atlanta, Georgia, attends Highland Community College in Illinois. He previously attended Marshalltown Community College in Iowa where he averaged 10.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game last season.

"Nick is a natural floor general with an infectious enthusiasm," Otzelberger said. "His quickness allows him to defend the dribble, push the tempo, and make plays for his teammates."

Lindsey, a 6-foot-4-inch guard from Mineral Point, Wisconsin, attends Mineral Point High School. Last season, he averaged 20.5 points and 4.3 assists per game, making 48.4 percent of his shots, including 35.3 percent on 3-pointers.

"Isaac is a dead-eye shooter with an excellent feel for the game," Otzelberger said. "He can create off the bounce for his teammates as well as impose his will with his knack for making shots."

Martinez, a 6-foot-11-inch center from Vallejo, California, currently attends Dream City Christian School in Arizona. Previously at Coronado High School in Henderson, Nevada, he averaged 12.7 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. He also has played with Vegas Elite during the AAU season. 

"Jhaylon has tremendous hands and passing ability for a big man," Otzelberger said. "His outstanding touch will be an asset for him both on the block and stepping out to the perimeter."

Yap, a 6-foot-3-inch shooting guard from Arbor View High School in Las Vegas, averaged 15.2 points, 3.7 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game last season. He led his team to its first state tournament appearance since 2007.

"Donavan is a dynamic playmaking guard that is electric with the basketball," Otzelberger said. "He shoots it well from the perimeter and excels as a passer when he breaks down the defense."

All six Rebel commitments will join the program starting with the 2020-21 season

To me, this is the largest infusion of talent coming into the program at once since the Lamar Odom class, Bayno brought in. 

Also the class that Rice had coming before he was canned. Top to bottom TJ got every position, plus depth. 

Im hoping hes a better long term solution than both those guys.

Also, to illustrate what ive said about Rice recruiting talented, but physically and mentally soft players, all of those players except Simmons ended up sustaining lengthy or season ending injuries at some point.

I think Rice was in on Rawle Aikens as well, but not sure if he had verballed before CDR was canned.

What is up with all these recruits? Now they’re up to 7 ands there’s talk of still going after Wilkinson.  Mitrou-Long and Blair are seniors, I imagine they force out Dembele and Green, Tillman probably goes pro- you’re still down 2/3 spots.

5 hours ago, TheJackel said:

What is up with all these recruits? Now they’re up to 7 ands there’s talk of still going after Wilkinson.  Mitrou-Long and Blair are seniors, I imagine they force out Dembele and Green, Tillman probably goes pro- you’re still down 2/3 spots.

Forcing someone out for Devin Tillis is stupid.  This is the worst signing we’ve had since Dantley Walker.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:22 PM, TheJackel said:

Pro at what?