Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

Rebels recruiting fast-rising Arbor View guard Donavan Yap

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/jul/10/rebels-recruiting-fast-rising-arbor-view-guard-don/

The Rebels have been aggressive in their pursuit of Yap, and the Class of 2020 prospect took an official visit to the campus on June 26.

Yap said UNLV holds a lot of appeal for him.

“[UNLV is] a good program,” Yap said. “I really feel like they’re going to make some noise next year. They have a very good coaching staff and their play style is nice. I feel like we have a good connection. I think they’ll do a good job next year and the next couple of years.”

As for his visit, Yap said he enjoyed pulling back the curtain on the life of a college athlete, and he especially got a kick out of his UNLV apparel.

“It was good,” he said. “I liked spending time with the players, the coaches, throwing on the gear, seeing the facilities, seeing how college players live.”

Yap is currently rated as a 3-star recruit by 247Sports, and his composite ranking has him at No. 313 in his class. As a junior at Arbor View last season, he averaged 15.2 points and 3.6 assists per game. He shot 42.6 percent from the field and 32.3 percent from 3-point range.

UNLV recruiting target Mwani Wilkinson riding high after hot summer

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/sep/06/unlv-recruiting-target-mwani-wilkinson-riding-high/

He has been upgraded to a 4-star recruit (No. 108 in the nation) and he’s in the process of choosing between his five college finalists: UNLV, Texas Tech, USC, LSU and Vanderbilt.

Though all the dates aren’t set yet, Wilkinson said UNLV will be his final visit. The Rebels were the first school to offer him a scholarship, which came just two days after T.J. Otzelberger took over as head coach in March.

Since then, Wilkinson has grown close to Otzelberger and UNLV assistant Kevin Kruger.

“Coach T.J. was the first coach that offered me a scholarship, so obviously he believes in me and my ability a lot, and he always tells me that. He’s a really good dude and I’ve formed a good relationship with him. So have my parents. We really like T.J. Same thing with coach Kruger, he’s just a really good dude. If anything, I think I have the best relationship with them out of all the schools because I’ve been talking to them the longest. They’ve been really consistent with their recruiting, and that’s a great thing.”

On 9/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, qwelish said:

Its difficult to really tell, but some of these signings seem a bit underwhelming at the moment. Hope TJ can blend all these parts into a really good unit.

It is hard to try to figure this all out.  The 2019 players are going to look so different from the 2020 guys especially when you add the new transfers.  And then this PG Keshon kid for 2021 actually sounds good to me.  Already being called a floor general that can shoot the three and to know he still has two more seasons of high school ball yet to grow.

For me things will really start to build with 20-21 season when we get a good look at transfers Jenkins, Moses, and possibly Tillman.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:28 AM, Meister_Rebel said:

It is hard to try to figure this all out.  The 2019 players are going to look so different from the 2020 guys especially when you add the new transfers.  And then this PG Keshon kid for 2021 actually sounds good to me.  Already being called a floor general that can shoot the three and to know he still has two more seasons of high school ball yet to grow.

For me things will really start to build with 20-21 season when we get a good look at transfers Jenkins, Moses, and possibly Tillman.

20 definitely seems like the year things are building to. This year should be interesting. I hope Keshon is a steal and all these guys fit TJs system. 

TJ loading up the roster with speed and shooting. I’m betting he wants to run n gun it by next year. This years roster is a little slower than what he would like but the staff is moving fast getting his guys that can run and shoot. 

Slocum and Buckley are real high on Fleming. All it took was a phone call from TJO and he committed soon after, didn’t even visit campus etc. 

Since Tillman is in, I wonder if UNLV could be a dark horse for 19'? Rebs definitely flying under the radar.

Gong to need great guard play, tenacity and shot making when it matters to hopefully be good middle to late.

Really not sure if that is asking for too much.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:28 AM, Meister_Rebel said:

Now that Tillman can play, he probably goes pro unless he underwhelms. Hoping for a killer season from Donnie.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Now that Tillman can play, he probably goes pro unless he underwhelms. Hoping for a killer season from Donnie.

That is why I wanted him for next year.  I can’t see him with us for two years.  I hope I’m wrong though.  It will make this season more interesting and if he has a great season perhaps we will pickup a good grad transfer to fill in for next year.