Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

15 hours ago, qwelish said:

I heard not everyone played and that none of the frosh stood out.

The rest I already kind of knew. Nunu, Juiston an Mbacke will be tough to deal with inside this season.

Mbacke most improved. Ntambwe could be best frosh during the season.

I've talked with a few people who seem to think Hamilton is going to come in and have a massive impact early.  I just don't see it.  He has the physical tools, but he needs to understand the game a bit better.

I've heard Diong is much better.  Still not nearly as polished a post player as McCoy, but he brings the intensity McCoy seemed to be lacking nearly all of last year.  

15 hours ago, qwelish said:

Ntambwe/ Mbacke / JTT will make a scary back line on a 2-3 zone. 

Im not sure Marvin will go 2-3 much this year with Juiston and Beck on the wings. Defense might be an issue.

Juice will still be a bit of liability on defense, but our perimeter defense should be improved.  Plus he will be playing next to Diong, which should help erase some of his defensive mistakes.

5 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

Juice will still be a bit of liability on defense, but our perimeter defense should be improved.

Juice lacks length and lateral quickness. He does better defending bigs. Im hoping for improvement, but you can see Marvins vision. Ntambwe, Christian Brown, Pierre-Louis, Coupet, Clyburn all lanky and long wing defenders. He definitely wants to zone. 

The thing being overlooked with JTT is that he has a great handle and he moves his feet on the perimeter like a guard/forward. I think he will be an exceptional defender on the perimeter from day one. He will probably never be a terrific scorer, but his defense, motor and rebounding will get him minutes.  I think MM will play a good deal of zone this season, but not certain. Next year will be very zone heavy for sure. 

5 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

Hamilton is going to come in and have a massive impact early.  I just don't see it.  He has the physical tools, but he needs to understand the game a bit better.

The guard position is the hardest to learn for frosh. There are so many reads within an offense. Young players, especially star scorers, a lot of times come in and try to rely on their skills and abilities. The key to be great within an offense is to know the reads and having a good understanding of different schemes teams will use to try to guard you. 

On 10/22/2018 at 2:03 PM, qwelish said:

Juice lacks length and lateral quickness. He does better defending bigs. Im hoping for improvement, but you can see Marvins vision. Ntambwe, Christian Brown, Pierre-Louis, Coupet, Clyburn all lanky and long wing defenders. He definitely wants to zone. 

The thing being overlooked with JTT is that he has a great handle and he moves his feet on the perimeter like a guard/forward. I think he will be an exceptional defender on the perimeter from day one. He will probably never be a terrific scorer, but his defense, motor and rebounding will get him minutes.  I think MM will play a good deal of zone this season, but not certain. Next year will be very zone heavy for sure. 

The guard position is the hardest to learn for frosh. There are so many reads within an offense. Young players, especially star scorers, a lot of times come in and try to rely on their skills and abilities. The key to be great within an offense is to know the reads and having a good understanding of different schemes teams will use to try to guard you. 

Bill Self on Menzies NMSU zone defense:

https://youtu.be/9hioMQuiS8s

Love what im hearing from MM about defense.

"That was one of our pet peeves last year. MM "I mean, we were a very bad defensive team last year. And typically, ive had really, really good defensive teams. So that was an area where the staff met on."

He went on to talk about some other things that were good hear, like how they want to defend and play in the conference.

A bit of quiet confidence. No one will know much til Dec.

9 hours ago, qwelish said:

Love what im hearing from MM about defense.

"That was one of our pet peeves last year. MM "I mean, we were a very bad defensive team last year. And typically, ive had really, really good defensive teams. So that was an area where the staff met on."

He went on to talk about some other things that were good hear, like how they want to defend and play in the conference.

A bit of quiet confidence. No one will know much til Dec.

I’m bullish on the season.  I expect a winning conference record and a top five finish.

We are going to be so good!

It is scary how good this program is going to get overnight.

I am really excited for what is happening.

Last time I was this excited was when Odom signed.  That team would have been so good.  Odom, Keon, Nesby, Kambala and Greedy.  God damn!  Odom took Rhode Island to the elite eight by himself!  Bayno is dumb.  Could have been a legend.

This time we are going to do it right!

Menzies is ready to be the best ever.

We will reclaim our #1 spot and nobody will ever beat us!

The way this is looking is the year Beck, Hardy and Mbacke are Srs. Hamilton, Woodbury, Ntambwe, JTT are Jrs, and Ethan and JPLouis are sphms. That should be a team that is ranked preseason coming off an NCAA or at least an NIT final 4. 

That could all be sped up by one year with a big time impact signing like a Bassey this year, a Christian Brown next year or a Strawther the year after. Best case scenario is Marvin Menzies lands both those guys and a few of the current guys are studs.

That would be a serious roster to contend with.

3 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

The first two games indicate a bad recruiting class. Marvin needs to recruit Socal and stay out of Zimbabwe.

How come nobody in the local media calls Marvin out on this? Look at Djorde Nevergonplayjic. Never going to see a meaningful minute here, it’s comical.