Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

25 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV presidential recruiting news:

Brian Sandoval

Thoughts?

If anyone can get us Big-12 or PAC-12 it is probably Sandoval.  He got the stadium done.

1D3B83C4-94DE-455C-A772-87DF97E0ADF9.jpeg

This is pretty genius actually. 

He’s pretty much done everything he ever can politically. He’s too moderate so therefore logical...so he has no use to most of the political creatures of the day.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:50 PM, PrimeReb said:

Bangai can really shot the ball and also in pressure situations at the free throw line with the game on the line.

The dribble drive and finish off the dribble, from behind the arc. The feathery freethrows. The blocks and correct hand close out and contest on 3 pt shooters. 

I still dont see him beating out Diong to start the season. Maybe by years end, but I expect Mbacke to be greatly improved and get a ton of minutes this season.

29 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

If this guy thinks a Kid is coming to Vegas, he probably is. 

Yes, im familiar with this guy. He also said theres interest between Cassius Stanley and UNLV. 

Not sure what an HM athlete is, but your interpretation sure did clear up his message for me.

Im guessing he means for 2019.

21 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Yes, im familiar with this guy. He also said theres interest between Cassius Stanley and UNLV. 

Not sure what an HM athlete is, but your interpretation sure did clear up his message for me.

Im guessing he means for 2019.

High Major - HM

We are going to win the National Championship!

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

High Major - HM

We are going to win the National Championship!

If MM doesn't show some improvement this year he needs to get shit canned.  Some of you are reacting to recruits like if it were DR still at UNLV.  We better damn well see some players playing defense this year.  And, why is Clyburn still on the team?  More than likely he will see significant minutes which is only going to hurt us.

28 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

If MM doesn't show some improvement this year he needs to get shit canned.  Some of you are reacting to recruits like if it were DR still at UNLV.  We better damn well see some players playing defense this year.  And, why is Clyburn still on the team?  More than likely he will see significant minutes which is only going to hurt us.

This year will tell us a lot.

We do have to remember though that we will likely have four underclassmen in the starting lineup.

I like what I am seeing as far as the type of players that MM is recruiting and I have seen enough from him to know that once he starts winning big he has what it takes to land the elite players.

Last year we should have won 25+ games but the coaches killed the players confidence after that Arizona loss (that we should have won).

Menzies should win 25+ this season and likely have us ranked coming out of the non conference portion of the schedule.

We will be good this year.

If not, Fire his ass and get Billy Donovan in here when the Thunder dumps him.

55 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Im excited a little bit about good recruiting news and I also agree with most of what you said.

Can I be both?

1 hour ago, NWRebel said:

I see your point and won't necessarily disagree with it. But I have a different view on this and feel many others feel the same way. Look at last years nucleus of Jordi Johnson, JoJo Mooring and Kris Clyburn. Good kids and they played hard and played major minutes out of necessity at the point, two guard and small forward in guard/wing centric college basketball. But under normal circumstances neither Menzies or any other UNLV coach would have seriously recruited any one of them. Not a letter, phone call or any interest. In essence, they were like the REPLACEMENTS! Low major 2 star ex-juco talent that belonged at schools like Chicago State, Wisconsin-Milwaukee or Detroit Mercy. Not UNLV!

There was a very much higher talent level of 3-5 star talent playing the guard/wings under Rice with three players actually making NBA rosters in Bryce Dejean-Jones, Pat McCaw and 1st round draft pick Rashad Vaughn.  Also, let's not forget the very talented 4 star Derrick Jones Jr., 5 star McDonald's AA Jaylen Kendricks, 3 star Jordan Cornish, Kendall Smith and transfers Jerome Seagars and Ike Nwamu. I know for some Menzies is not getting it done fast enough. But if you compare last year with the 3 years prior to Menzies you will see that UNLV with Jordi, JoJo and Clyburn finished right where the program was at the 3 years before Menzies was hired despite the lack of talent.

Year Record MWC

Rice
2013-14 20-13 10-8
2014-15 18-15 8-10
2015-16 18-15 8-10

Menzies
2017-18 20-13 8-10  

So for me, I know what Menzies can accomplish with low D-1 talent at the guards and on the wings in the MWC. Before throwing in the towel I want to see what he can do with Bryce Hamilton at the 2 guard along with a Christian Brown, Josh Green or maybe Cassius Stanley on the wing and a point guard of the caliber of Ethan Anderson or Josh Pierre Louis. Also, I want to see the development in Amuari Hardy, Tervell Beck and Mbacke Diong.