Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

8 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Im definitely not. I think he will end up playing point forward. Im just not sure how long it takes MM to give him to that much responsibility. I see him in a Winston Shepard type role on both ends. Based on the pictures, he's a legit 6-8/6-9.

My main questions are, what will his handle look like at this level and what sort of shooter is he?

If he can play point forward, that gives MM very big lineups he can go with that do not include a PG at all. 

Lineups like:

Ntambwe   Ntambwe       Ntambwe

Hamilton    Woodbury      Hamilton

Beck          Hamilton        Clyburn

Juiston      Beck               Beck

Diong        Diong             Juiston

ntambwe.PNG

You are very perceptive and it does appear Joel is a legit 6'9". Also, Menzies is a really good defensive coach and has yet to show at  UNLV his base zone defense because of the limitations in his personal. IMO Menzies is bringing in length and athleticism on the perimeter and UNLV will be active zone team moving forward. Also, a strong zone is one of the best ways to defend small ball. Bill Self on Menzies zone defense in preparation for the NCAA tournament:

https://youtu.be/9hioMQuiS8s

This post is sort of a piggy back off the post above about Ntambwe. 

I sat down and watched a few full games Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua played in this season. Based on what I saw, unless something has drastically changed since these games, I do not expect to see him on the floor nearly at all this season. 

Defensively in terms of mobility and guarding out on the perimeter, he is a big upgrade over Juiston. As far as defensive IQ, they are about the same, low. Beck has a higher defensive IQ than both.

The highlight video of JTT is only about 4 minutes long and he's only got one highlight video out there. I think that of the games I watched, they must have had to comb those videos to make that one 4 minute video. 

JTT makes zero impact on the offensive end during games. He makes poor passing decisions when given the ball at the top of the key and he got beat on back doors by unathletic players more times than I could count. 

He looks like a major project to me. That sort of clears things up for me, because I was wondering where Beck would get his minutes. I now see nearly all of Beck's minutes coming as Juistons back up at PF, because based on what I saw, Tchatcoua is probably just bench depth for this year.

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I sat down and watched a few full games Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua played in this season. Based on what I saw, unless something has drastically changed since these games, I do not expect to see him on the floor nearly at all this season. 

Defensively in terms of mobility and guarding out on the perimeter, he is a big upgrade over Juiston. As far as defensive IQ, they are about the same, low. Beck has a higher defensive IQ than both.

The highlight video of JTT is only about 4 minutes long and he's only got one highlight video out there. I think that of the games I watched, they must have had to comb those videos to make that one 4 minute video. 

JTT makes zero impact on the offensive end during games. He makes poor passing decisions when given the ball at the top of the key and he got beat on back doors by unathletic players more times than I could count. 

He looks like a major project to me. That sort of clears things up for me, because I was wondering where Beck would get his minutes. I now see nearly all of Beck's minutes coming as Juistons back up at PF, because based on what I saw, Tchatcoua is probably just bench depth for this year.

I hear he has a really good work ethic. Bring him in and red shirt for down the road. The kid is a freak athlete and hopefully will pan out in a year or two. 

10 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

Menzies is a really good defensive coach and has yet to show at  UNLV his base zone defense because of the limitations in his personal.

Based on the personnel, it seems like Menzies has looked to change the defensive culture through recruiting. 

Ntambwe, Diong, Tchatchoua across the back line is going to be long, fast, athletic and here at UNLV for the next 3/4 years.

That still leaves Juiston, Dembele, Beck, Coupet, Clyburn 

9 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

I hear he has a really good work ethic. Bring him in and red shirt for down the road. The kid is a freak athlete and hopefully will pan out in a year or two. 

He is a freak athlete and his activity, his speed up and down the court, lateral quickness are all noticeable. He's a definite defensive upgrade over Shakur. It looks like MM is planning to transition from a post heavy offense to an offense revolving around the wing and guard positions. Slashing and penetration from the perimeter toward the basket. Diong, Dembele, JTT as clean up crew.

19 hours ago, qwelish said:

how many projects do we need?

but it sounds like ntambwe is ready to go, so that helps.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:25 PM, ph90702 said:

Christian Brown will be the first big get in 2019.  Charles Bassey will be the second one.  We will make the NCAAs in year four and onward.

I swear PH and WaddiLOLe are the same person. Maybe at least Brown will come true

I hope these decisions arent made based on APR or some ridiculous thing like that. 

Im guessing this came out of nowhere or Bassey needed a promise to start, play major minutes, get a certain amount of shots, whatever. 'Something wku has no problem promising.

I really hope it wasnt just a pass by the staff.

But hey, they got 1, 2 years tops to show and prove either way. So more power to them...

Now Marvin is recruiting some kid nobody ever heard of from Detroit.

How will we ever beat Arizona or Duke with some skinny kid from Detroit with zero stars on all the major recruiting sites!  I can’t even find any YouTube videos on this bum!

17E28AE0-2082-4484-8BCB-52FD8B899D58.jpeg

8 hours ago, And? said:

I'm gonna pull a ISU fan and declare something must be up at WKU for him to choose them over us :crying:

Stranger things have happened, like Reno landing a 5*....

On 6/13/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jaredcg said:

I swear PH and WaddiLOLe are the same person. Maybe at least Brown will come true

No, but I can see why you would suspect it.  All those guys who spent years paying their $9.99/month to Rebel-Net to become "insiders" sound eerily similar at times.