Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

My line ups

Starters

Robotham

Hamiltom

Ntambwe

Juiston

Diong

Bench

Beck

Hardy

Dembele

Woodbury

JTT

Clyburn

Depth

Coupet

Djordie

Blair

Redshirt

Green

I can see a lot of 3 guard rotations coming this year. But if JTT isnt redshirted and plays, that may push Beck to the SF position full time. Its clear, to me at least, that MM likes size in the frontcourt and he seems to view SF as a front court position. Even though statistically his best lineups were 3 guard line ups.

So I could see Clyburn or possibly Woodbury being pushed out of the rotation completely. We will see if anyone is pushed off the team. Woodbury may also be a redshirt candidate unless hes just too good to sit. Also, if the staff signs the JC PG, what does that mean for Hardy? Does he go SG full time? Redshirt or transfer? Again, we shall see. 

JTT and Ntambwe are the wildcards. Will they be rotation players or bench guys. Id say Ntambwe has a solid chance to start or in the rotation due to the recruitment of Bassey. 

Dembele, to me, is the most obvious redshirt candidate due to the emergence of Diong. I was a bit worried MM would redshirt Diong, because last season he kept trying to play Dembele over Diong.

Now Dembele will be one of the most experienced players in the program. He may show up as one of the better and most improved players, but we will see. I think he could be an impactful after a redshirt year.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

Dembele, to me, is the most obvious redshirt candidate due to the emergence of Diong. I was a bit worried MM would redshirt Diong, because last season he kept trying to play Dembele over Diong.

Now Dembele will be one of the most experienced players in the program. He may show up as one of the better and most improved players, but we will see. I think he could be an impactful after a redshirt year.

Well, they gave away dembeles #, so I guess we know what that means..

Edit.. but wait. they retired that number, for eddie owens. so that's probably all that was.

UNLV is looking at USF transfer Malik Martin who is 6’11” and would be immediately eligible.

Martin, a Miami native who arrived in Tampa from USC in 2016, sat out one year per NCAA transfer rules, and posted decent numbers (6.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg) this past season. He scored 19 points and nine rebounds in a USF 75-51 triumph at Memphis on March 1.  Martin led USF in rebounding this season.

Martin’s best game came on November 24, 2017 versus Arkansas State where he scored a career-high 24 points on 9-of-11 shooting and added ten rebounds for his first-career double-double.

9653326D-299A-421F-B5EE-25C3C05B4FF4.jpeg

Whether or not this is true, just having that statement sit out there is not a good look for MM or the program at all. 

This could cost MM a good amount of fan support. I think he'd do himself a service to address this statement made publicly by Greg.

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

Whether or not this is true, just having that statement sit out there is not a good look for MM or the program at all. 

This could cost MM a good amount of fan support. I think he'd do himself a service to address this statement made publicly by Greg.

That would make things even worse.  Menzies had no obligation to justify his recruiting to fans.  I would actually think less of him if he did.

Lets be honest here, Cole wasn’t coming to UNLV.  Perhaps had Rice been able to make UNLV nationally relevant again they may have had a chance, even then it would have been an uphill battle given the competition.    

I’m sure this wasn’t an easy one for the staff.

On one hand, if you know you have next to no chance with a player why invest the time.  Plus if a player(s) find out you are spending a lot of time focusing on him it could have turned others they actually me have a chance with off.

On the other hand, not trying to recruit a player whose jersey is hanging in the rafters is going to be a difficult pill for at least some of the fanbase to swallow.

4 hours ago, qwelish said:

This is a lose/lose proposition, IMO. He either has to come out and say Greg is lying and the staff did try to recruit him, which would only upset those still clinging to the glory days, or admit they didn’t recruit him and offering some kind of a justification that would center on why Cole wasn’t good enough for UNLV or how UNLV wasn’t good enough for Cole, which would not put UNLV in a good light.

You guys are right. Plus, im pretty sure he cannot comment on individual recruitment of players anyhow. 

The mistake was to not extend an offer to the son of a former legend. That upset Greg enough for him to make it public.

Press him to sign early if need be. But make the offer. Im pulling for MM, but this was a mistake. 

9 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

On one hand, if you know you have next to no chance with a player why invest the time.  Plus if a player(s) find out you are spending a lot of time focusing on him it could have turned others they actually me have a chance with off.

BINGO. Plus we don't know the whole story. NY is 3000 miles away.

On the other hand, not trying to recruit a player whose jersey is hanging in the rafters is going to be a difficult pill for at least some of the fanbase to swallow.

That part of our fanbase needs to get over the glory days connections and let the current coach, coach, with his players.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Lets be honest here, Cole wasn’t coming to UNLV.  Perhaps had Rice been able to make UNLV nationally relevant again they may have had a chance, even then it would have been an uphill battle given the competition.    

I’m sure this wasn’t an easy one for the staff.

Absolutely agree that Greg Anthony wasn't sending his son to play for Menzies.  Also, Greg never implied there was any chance, just tossed a match on the fire.

This is not on Menzies.  This is more fallout from the extremely dysfunctional '15-'16 season.

In the wake of the ouster of Dave Rice, Greg Anthony was a key player in the group “Rebels for Success” that campaigned that Stacey Augmon was entitled to be UNLV's next coach.  They paid for a full-page ad in the RJ.  They collaborated with NY Times writer William Rhoden to push the message further that the only reason Stacey wasn't automatically the interim coach and next permanent UNLV coach was due to blatant racism.  The message was growing and there was significant concern that there would ultimately be legal action against the university.  When Menzies ended up being hired that movement quietly disbanded, but "Rebels for Success" did not support the Menzies hire.

20 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

That part of our fanbase needs to get over the glory days connections and let the current coach, coach, with his players.

Its  not really about that. Greg is UNLV's most visible basketball alum. He's got a national TV platform and still rep's UNLV on that platform. Its almost unreasonable for his kid to not get an offer.

Im not too worried about it, though. Im really hoping MM is ahead of the curve and this years team is a MWC league leader/winner, like many of MM's previous squads.

Anyone consider that Cole Anthony could be a major twat, or demanded $$$ or something?  I have no absolutely no idea about that but maybe Marvin knows more than we know?

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

BINGO. Plus we don't know the whole story. NY is 3000 miles away.

We have been in agreement a lot lately.  Here’s another thing we agree on.