Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

While your point about player development is true, I'm still hoping Menzies lands a big fish. This looks like the kind of kid he'd get to NMSU. Seems extremely meh.

i'm still holding out hope (although a faint one) that brandon mccoy lands here. menzies can pitch pascal siakem to him and say 'see what i did?' who knows, maybe it will work, :unsure:especially if menzies is a family friend.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

i'm still holding out hope (although a faint one) that brandon mccoy lands here. menzies can pitch pascal siakem to him and say 'see what i did?' who knows, maybe it will work, :unsure:especially if menzies is a family friend.

Brandon McCoy has been on five UNLV visits (one official and four unofficial).  Barring a major turn of events, he's coming to UNLV.

17 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

We won't know what we got until mid next season.  It's the same with Australian kid that signed.  Another unknown.  These guys may never amount to much but, what if we get back on track with winning will you still be ok?  Or, are you going to base our future on the type of recruits we get?  I'm all for the big fish but, they got damn better be some working fish and not guys that show up when they want.

It's a mix. It has to be. I don't want all big fish ala Rice. I am all for the program type players. Ideally there is a mix of one (two tops) studs per class and the rest are program guys. But even the program guys have to have a decent stock. One of Menzies' selling points has been recruiting. His coaching record is iffy. If he recruiting is iffy as well, do we have anything to base future results on? If he has mediocre recruiting, are you going to base our future on his coaching? (never had a win against a top 25 ranked program in forever)

And yes, I acknowledge it is extremely early. I am not saying that he his a failure. Just that he is going to have to land a highly ranked recruit at some point.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, CockyUNLVPoster said:

We won't really get a feel for Anthony until he gets into conference play next year.  Just like Mooring was a scoring machine in JC and then came into the MWC jacking 3's and being a turnover machine but, he has developed to be one of the guys you now feel good about having on the floor.  We also don't know if this guy can play defense.  But, I feel like I can trust MM more than I could ever trust the riceball to develop players.

I’m not overly enthused anymore on JC players, certainly not stocking a roster with several of them.  You just don’t see very many at all come in today and make the kind of instant impact a fair number did back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.    Hard to build very successful teams like UNLV, Cincinnati and Oklahoma did years ago with a roster with a fair number of JC guys.  

As you mentioned it typically takes them a half of a season, to a whole season to get acclimated to the division 1 level.  By that point most only half one more season of eligibility.  Might as well go after a four year prospect.  

Hopefully he can at least come in and be solid role player.  He at least appears to have some physical attributes to potentially be a solid defensive player. 

On 1/17/2017 at 3:44 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Armon Gilliam was similar - he was a wrestler and didn't play HS ball until his senior year (if I recall) and then got noticed at JC - Not saying this kid is another Gilliam! 

Armon played two years of high school basketball.  His junior season he was on the JV team and made varsity his senior year.  In addition wrestling he was also a really good TE prospect in football.  He had offers from Pitt, West Virginia and Clemson among others.  The Fridge hosted him when he visited Clemson.  

He had a unique track in basketball for sure.  After becoming disinterested in wrestling and quitting his junior year, the varsity basketball coach saw him walking through the gym and with his size talked to him about basketball.  His skill set was so raw even with his size they had no real choice but to place him on the JV team.

He ended up at Independence JC almost by accident.  Bob Kivisto who was the head coach at the time saw him in a summer league game he was scouting talent at, and while Armon was still fairly raw he saw potential offering him a scholarship.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:24 PM, 4UNLV said:

anderson said it was between usu and unlv. who knows...

maybe those two beat out WV and TCU, lol.

(yeah, i'm kidding.)

I can’t speak to TCU’s interest but I know a couple of the folks on WVU’s staff. Smith wasn’t a primary target of theirs, but he was on their radar as an option.

Mike Grimala @MikeGrimala

This is why UNLV fans can allow themselves to start dreaming about McCoy. Recruiting is all tea leaves so why not have some fun with it

After committing, Anthony Smith credited his trainer/mentor Shaun Manning, saying he's "like an uncle." Manning is Brandon McCoy's guardian

C2awyrrVIAATHUl.jpg:large

Mike Grimala @MikeGrimala 2h2 hours ago

If UNLV fields a lineup of Jordan Johnson, Jovan Mooring, Jalen Poyser, Dwayne Morgan and Brandon McCoy next year, Marv deserves a parade

Mark Zeigler @sdutzeigler 2h2 hours ago

Hearing Brandon McCoy is "leaning" toward UNLV, but as a wise man told me: In the world of 5-star recruits, it's never done until it's done.

Mark Zeigler @sdutzeigler

Not sure anyone noticed but UNLV JC commit Anthony Smith played for Ground-Up AAU club run by Shaun Manning, who is Brandon McCoy's guardian

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

This is why UNLV fans can allow themselves to start dreaming about McCoy. Recruiting is all tea leaves so why not have some fun with it

After committing, Anthony Smith credited his trainer/mentor Shaun Manning, saying he's "like an uncle." Manning is Brandon McCoy's guardian

If UNLV fields a lineup of Jordan Johnson, Jovan Mooring, Jalen Poyser, Dwayne Morgan and Brandon McCoy next year, Marv deserves a parade

Hearing Brandon McCoy is "leaning" toward UNLV, but as a wise man told me: In the world of 5-star recruits, it's never done until it's done.

Not sure anyone noticed but UNLV JC commit Anthony Smith played for Ground-Up AAU club run by Shaun Manning, who is Brandon McCoy's guardian

If landing Smith helps land McCoy then good for Marvin for getting this JC player.

3 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

If landing Smith helps land McCoy then good for Marvin for getting this JC player.

and smart. that might be what zeigler was referring to when he told a guy on twitter 'you have no idea what goes into it'...

seeing what Marvin has done so far with this 'ragtag' team, i'm liking him more and more. i'm sure he's playing up his success with bigs to mccoy, and all mccoy has to do is look at dembele. yes, dembele has a long way to go, but the improvement in just these last couple of months is amazing. what a great change from years past. and, i look forward to the day when i see dembele throw one down. :rock:

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

and smart. that might be what zeigler was referring to when he told a guy on twitter 'you have no idea what goes into it'...

seeing what Marvin has done so far with this 'ragtag' team, i'm liking him more and more. i'm sure he's playing up his success with bigs to mccoy, and all mccoy has to do is look at dembele. yes, dembele has a long way to go, but the improvement in just these last couple of months is amazing. what a great change from years past. and, i look forward to the day when i see dembele throw one down. :rock:

Just wait until 2018.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, 4UNLV said:

Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Marvin looking like near-Rice level recruiting. Plus an obvious upgrade in coaching from the Rice years... I'm really liking the look of this...

IF he can land some of these highly ranked recruits AND get them to play as a team? We will all be sending thank you cards to Cronin and Beard.

Jesse Granger @JesseGranger_ 9h9 hours ago

FINAL- @ClarkHoops ends Bishop Gorman's 75-game NIAA win streak with 68-62 win at Gorman. #702hshoops

this kid really wants to come here, and has been blowing up lately at clark, they beat gorman last night. MM not quite ready to pull the trigger?

http://nevadapreps.com/boys-basketball/no-2-clark-makes-statement-road-win-over-no-1-gaels

7 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Jesse Granger @JesseGranger_ 9h9 hours ago

FINAL- @ClarkHoops ends Bishop Gorman's 75-game NIAA win streak with 68-62 win at Gorman. #702hshoops

this kid really wants to come here, and has been blowing up lately at clark, they beat gorman last night. MM not quite ready to pull the trigger?

http://nevadapreps.com/boys-basketball/no-2-clark-makes-statement-road-win-over-no-1-gaels

Meet the local basketball prospect who is drawing interest from UNLV

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jan/27/local-prospect-trey-woodbury-drawing-interest-from/