Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

well, i HAVE missed derrick jones, lol. so here's our new guy..

Video of new #UNLVmbb commit dunking from near the free throw line:

http://ballislife.com/unkown-hooper-almost-dunks-from-ft-line-off-two-feet/

edit. but is mark wrong, that's 2012? although juco..

Just spoke with Anthony Smith. Decision came down to #UNLVmbb and Utah State. #RJnow

UNLV commit Anthony Smith says "family atmosphere" is why he chose Rebels. Cited strong connection w/ Dwayne Morgan https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jan/16/unlv-gets-commitment-from-juco-forward-anthony-smi/ 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

well, i HAVE missed derrick jones, lol. so here's our new guy..

Video of new #UNLVmbb commit dunking from near the free throw line:

http://ballislife.com/unkown-hooper-almost-dunks-from-ft-line-off-two-feet/

edit. but is mark wrong, that's 2012? although juco..

Just spoke with Anthony Smith. Decision came down to #UNLVmbb and Utah State. #RJnow

UNLV commit Anthony Smith says "family atmosphere" is why he chose Rebels. Cited strong connection w/ Dwayne Morgan https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jan/16/unlv-gets-commitment-from-juco-forward-anthony-smi/ 

Derrick Jones was, as Todd Simon said, "a basketball athlete."  In other words, he could use his athleticism to positively impact a game.  We'll see if this guy is a basketball athlete.

3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Derrick Jones was, as Todd Simon said, "a basketball athlete."  In other words, he could use his athleticism to positively impact a game.  We'll see if this guy is a basketball athlete.

On new #UNLVmbb commit Anthony Smith:

JUCOadvocate @JUCOadvocate
@markanderson65 @scottfrankel13 definitely can be an impact guy

well, there you have it^^^ it must be true.

17 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

anderson said it was between usu and unlv. who knows...

maybe those two beat out WV and TCU, lol.

(yeah, i'm kidding.)

Seeing USU doesn't excite me as much as seeing WVA & TCU obviously 

But if UNLV is beating out the average MWC program, then I hold my enthusiasm 

23 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

anderson said it was between usu and unlv. who knows...

maybe those two beat out WV and TCU, lol.

(yeah, i'm kidding.)

RJ article http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/basketball/junior-college-forward-commits-unlv-rebels

Mentiosn he chose UNLV over USU..........but had offers from WVA, TCU & More 

Here is a nice write up on Anthony Smith.

" On the court, "Anthony has great ability and potential with no ceiling," Rick said. "He's strong and can jump out of the gym, one of the greatest athletes I've ever seen. He has a high motor and plays hard, something which really excites the college coaches who have watched him." That being West Virginia, Texas Christian, UNLV, Utah State and a number of others in pursuit"

http://athletics.frc.edu/news/2016/10/5/mens-basketball-anthony-smith-blowing-up-at-frc.aspx?path=mbball

36 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Here is a nice write up on Anthony Smith.

" On the court, "Anthony has great ability and potential with no ceiling," Rick said. "He's strong and can jump out of the gym, one of the greatest athletes I've ever seen. He has a high motor and plays hard, something which really excites the college coaches who have watched him." That being West Virginia, Texas Christian, UNLV, Utah State and a number of others in pursuit"

http://athletics.frc.edu/news/2016/10/5/mens-basketball-anthony-smith-blowing-up-at-frc.aspx?path=mbball

DeShawn Mitchell was arguably the best athlete that Lon Kruger recruited, and he was terrible.

We won't really get a feel for Anthony until he gets into conference play next year.  Just like Mooring was a scoring machine in JC and then came into the MWC jacking 3's and being a turnover machine but, he has developed to be one of the guys you now feel good about having on the floor.  We also don't know if this guy can play defense.  But, I feel like I can trust MM more than I could ever trust the riceball to develop players.

15 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

he didn't play high school basketball..only a little AAU, but blew up at Feather River. We'll see, but must be decent to have the interest he did. might end up being a steal.

Armon Gilliam was similar - he was a wrestler and didn't play HS ball until his senior year (if I recall) and then got noticed at JC - Not saying this kid is another Gilliam! 

5 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

We won't really get a feel for Anthony until he gets into conference play next year.  Just like Mooring was a scoring machine in JC and then came into the MWC jacking 3's and being a turnover machine but, he has developed to be one of the guys you now feel good about having on the floor.  We also don't know if this guy can play defense.  But, I feel like I can trust MM more than I could ever trust the riceball to develop players.

While your point about player development is true, I'm still hoping Menzies lands a big fish. This looks like the kind of kid he'd get to NMSU. Seems extremely meh.

5 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Therein lies the difference..........Rice got all the high ranked guys but couldn't do anything with them........Menzies seems to be a "COACH" who can perhaps get the most out of players.

Rice with 4 & 5 star players was getting beat regularly by MWC teams made up of 2 & 3 star recruits..............but if Menzies can land some 4 & 5 star recruits, the upside could be phenomenal if his ability to coach kids up is a reality 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Armon Gilliam was similar - he was a wrestler and didn't play HS ball until his senior year (if I recall) and then got noticed at JC - Not saying this kid is another Gilliam! 

Yeah Armon Gilliams don't walk through the door every day, lol. I walked to the parking lot with him one day right after he signed his NBA contract, he hopped into a cute sporty white  Mercedes 5? I think it was a 5.. 

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

While your point about player development is true, I'm still hoping Menzies lands a big fish. This looks like the kind of kid he'd get to NMSU. Seems extremely meh.

We won't know what we got until mid next season.  It's the same with Australian kid that signed.  Another unknown.  These guys may never amount to much but, what if we get back on track with winning will you still be ok?  Or, are you going to base our future on the type of recruits we get?  I'm all for the big fish but, they got damn better be some working fish and not guys that show up when they want.