Jump to content
sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

Recommended Posts

Marvin getting started on 2018. go get em, marv...

http://runrebs.com/2016/07/13/unlv-offers-elite-2018-wing-jules-bernard/

Bernard is one of the highest rated players offered by Marvin Menzies so far during his tenure as head coach. Rivals rates the 6-foot-5 slasher as the No. 37 player in the nation, while 247Sports has him at No. 42 and ESPN ranks him No. 53 overall

Back in May, Bernard told Endlessmotor.net that he had already received offers from UCLA, USC, Nevada-Reno, Utah and Arizona State, among others.

Menzies was hired too late to go after any big fish in the Class of 2016, and even the 2017 class may be beyond his reach. The Rebels have offered 2017 guard Hamidou Diallo (No. 7 in the Rivals rankings), but when it comes to high-profile players, most of the stars have been building relationships with college coaches for years at this point. So 2018 will probably represent Menzies’ first real shot at bringing in blue-chip recruits, and he’s apparently already targeting Bernard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i would be thrilled with any one of these 3.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/findlay-prep-s-pj-washington-has-unlv-final-eight

Findlay Prep’s P.J. Washington, ranked No. 16 by ESPN.com, became the third local player to include UNLV on his short list of basketball programs.

Washington, a 6-foot 7-inch forward, tweeted Wednesday he is considering the Rebels in addition to Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Texas and UCLA.

Bishop Gorman High School 6-6 guard Charles O’Bannon Jr. and Centennial High 6-6 guard Troy Brown Jr. also recently included the Rebels. ESPN ranks O’Bannon No. 23 and Brown No. 28.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

i would be thrilled with any one of these 3.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/findlay-prep-s-pj-washington-has-unlv-final-eight

Findlay Prep’s P.J. Washington, ranked No. 16 by ESPN.com, became the third local player to include UNLV on his short list of basketball programs.

Washington, a 6-foot 7-inch forward, tweeted Wednesday he is considering the Rebels in addition to Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Texas and UCLA.

Bishop Gorman High School 6-6 guard Charles O’Bannon Jr. and Centennial High 6-6 guard Troy Brown Jr. also recently included the Rebels. ESPN ranks O’Bannon No. 23 and Brown No. 28.

 

One of those three will probably come.  He got Wink Adams and Davon Jefferson in the year that he was here under Lon Kruger.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

meanwhile, popoola at one point was looking for an offer from unlv. he did well this last month, good get for BYU.

Blessed to announce my commitment to Brigham Young University. ?????#GoCougs #BYU

Really surprised that UNLV passed on a legacy recruit.  Kid had offers from a lot of schools.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189436/christian-popoola-jr

SCHOOL STATUS OFFER VISIT
252.png&w=50&h=50&transparent=true
BYU
Committed icon-check.png  
235.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Memphis
  icon-check.png  
167.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
New Mexico
  icon-check.png  
201.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Oklahoma
  icon-check.png  
163.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Princeton
  icon-check.png  
242.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Rice
  icon-check.png  
257.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Richmond
  icon-check.png  
164.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Rutgers
  icon-check.png  
21.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
San Diego State
  icon-check.png  
2567.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
SMU
  icon-check.png  
2439.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
UNLV
  icon-check.png  
30.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
USC
  icon-check.png  
328.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Utah State
  icon-check.png  
3084.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Utah Valley
  icon-check.png  
265.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true
Washington State
  icon-check.png
Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM, ph90702 said:

We will get players to come.  He's ours if we want him.

But I know you wouldn't want him because he's not a 4 or 5 star guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Not if he's being counted on to be anything other than a role player.

Nah. You've said repeatedly that recruiting that type of player is for losers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Nah. You've said repeatedly that recruiting that type of player is for losers. 

You can have three star players on your roster.  Even Kentucky has some three star guys.  However, they can't be the majority.  Dave Rice was right in going after elite players.  He got it wrong by going after the wrong ones.  Also, it's ironic that you praise low level recruiting considering that San Diego State's roster is primarily composed of four star players plus one five star player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

You can have three star players on your roster.  Even Kentucky has some three star guys.  However, they can't be the majority.  Dave Rice was right in going after elite players.  He got it wrong by going after the wrong ones.  Also, it's ironic that you praise low level recruiting considering that San Diego State's roster is primarily composed of four star players plus one five star player.

I doubt a juco guard is a 3-star player. I find it ironic that when SDSU signed an unrated role player you called them losers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I doubt a juco guard is a 3-star player. I find it ironic that when SDSU signed an unrated role player you called them losers. 

If you're final list of schools is all high major schools (conference affiliation is irrelevant for that), then you're at least a three star level player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's going to land some players in this class, and my guess is that Terrence Lewis is the first.  The longer that these recruits are uncommitted, the better that bodes for us.  On a side note, Mike Bibby Jr. signed with South Florida.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He's going to land some players in this class, and my guess is that Terrence Lewis is the first.  The longer that these recruits are uncommitted, the better that bodes for us.  On a side note, Mike Bibby Jr. signed with South Florida.

i saw that, but who did they end up hiring? i haven't been paying attention. or is what's his name still there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...