Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenEagleAztec

Which team is dirtier?

Which team is dirtier?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. See images below.

And from 2013!  :)

Historical references of the consistent dirty play.  That is what it shows.

What did he get away with? Wasn't a penalty called? 

No, the punch wasn't called on the penalty.  NCAA rules state that if a punch is throw the player is ejected.  Since the player wasn't ejected, it was clear the refs just didn't like his overall rough play after the whistle was blown.  And, the ref that threw the flag was up field of the play, not standing where he could see the punch.

Additionally, if you re-watch the whole video and not just snippets, you'll see that the BSU player doesn't "jump" on the guy but does try to grab the ball out of his hands from the side.

One shouldn't ever try to justify bad behavior, just acknowledge it and move on.  BYU as an institution clearly has no issues with it and left the discipline, if any, in the hands of the team.  If BYU were in a conference there could be conference discipline, but since they are not, there is no real oversight of the team being done with an administration that is clearly just rubber-stamping Bronco's policies.

Anybody who says that AF designed that play for Williams to square up Tago either hasn't seen the play or just doesn't know much about football.

Tago has the Fullback on that play. It wasn't an option run, it was a designed inside run for the fullback, So Tago was exactly where he was suppose to be, where Williams cld go in motion to the TE and build steam up for a free shot

If they wanted to square him up,  they wld have run the FB to the perimeter. Williams would have stayed wide and Tago wld run square into the block

12667677.jpeg

So you can read his mind??? Also, I mentioned that he just ran by another Spartan defender (#26) straight for Tago (#4). It looks like a deliberate dirty hit.

No, I am not saying I am reading his mind. It was a bad block, he should have pulled up and just walled him off.  It's surprising to me that Tago was just standing there.  As someone who has blocked a lot of LBs, it's rare to not see them flowing towards the ball.  Also, you made it sound like he passed up #26 to go straight for Tago, and I am saying that is how the play was designed.  It's basic inside-out blocking that creates the whole, so it's completely irrelevant that he passed #26 up.  The WR goes inside to draw the CB in towards the pulling Guard coming after him - football blocking 101, except Williams needs to go back to blocking school, but to insinuate this was a hack job is a little much

Earlier in the game SJSU @ AF, an Air Force called personal foul for rolling up a Spartan player too, maybe if we had video on that AF would get more votes.

He didn't roll him up.  He tackled the QB as he was going out of bounds.  Even the announcers thought it was a poor call from the refs.  Nice try

Anybody who says that AF designed that play for Williams to square up Tago either hasn't seen the play or just doesn't know much about football.

Tago has the Fullback on that play. It wasn't an option run, it was a designed give to the fullback, So Tago was exactly where he was suppose to be, where Williams cld go in motion to the TE and build steam up for a free shot

If they wanted to square him up,  they wld have run the FB to the perimeter. Williams would have stayed wide and Tago wld run square into the block

Actually, you are incorrect.  Tago was playing the strong side LB, his responsibility is not the FB in that play.  You display a complete lack of football knowledge because this is about one of the most basic blocking schemes that exist; just about every HS team runs it.

So you've got some form of telepathic super powers to determine the intent someone has when they commit a specific act? You must be making millions as a litigator!

How about taking the emotional nonsense out of your obviously biased evaluation and take a look at both players body position at the time of contact. You can see Williams has started to move into a position that squares him up for a frontal hit. If you see the speed with which he is moving at to engage and understand basic physics, I think he simply misjudged his time to impact and that led to bad position in his block.

I could just as easily launch into a tirade about how SJSU players conspired to end Nate Romine's career after the bro got knocked out of the game,  proclaiming there was motive/intent, but like your proclamation it would be pure unsubstantiated BS.

BOLTS BEAT MI STATE!

LOLOLOLOLOL

PLEASE DO

12667677.jpeg

So you've got some form of telepathic super powers to determine the intent someone has when they commit a specific act? You must be making millions as a litigator!

How about taking the emotional nonsense out of your obviously biased evaluation and take a look at both players body position at the time of contact. You can see Williams has started to move into a position that squares him up for a frontal hit. If you see the speed with which he is moving at to engage and understand basic physics, I think he simply misjudged his time to impact and that led to bad position in his block.

I could just as easily launch into a tirade about how SJSU players conspired to end Nate Romine's career after the bro got knocked out of the game,  proclaiming there was motive/intent, but like your proclamation it would be pure unsubstantiated BS.

BOLTS BEAT MI STATE!

:rolleyes:

The poster who's replying angrily and defensively is telling someone else to take "the emotional nonsense" out. 

It's clear that he went in helmet first deliberately. He could have as easily made impact with the other players waistline. He didn't. It's clear that he was aiming high the how time. You don't need physics to use common sense.

It was called for a block. Nothing more. AFA player did make a bad block (not with the crown of his helmet. More like the top of his facemask) but the SJSU linebacker is to blame for not being aware of where the play is.

LB's have no problem blindsiding QB's for a living...standing around in the box oblivious to where the play is developing is a good way to get yourself hit with a hard block. Especially blocks from smaller receivers giving up a few inches and about 50 pounds who are going to put everything into it.

Yeah, but he didn't block. He targeted.

Blindside happens frequently in a game, that really isn't the issue here. You're trying too hard.

Historical references of the consistent dirty play.  That is what it shows.

No, the punch wasn't called on the penalty.  NCAA rules state that if a punch is throw the player is ejected.  Since the player wasn't ejected, it was clear the refs just didn't like his overall rough play after the whistle was blown.  And, the ref that threw the flag was up field of the play, not standing where he could see the punch.

Additionally, if you re-watch the whole video and not just snippets, you'll see that the BSU player doesn't "jump" on the guy but does try to grab the ball out of his hands from the side.

One shouldn't ever try to justify bad behavior, just acknowledge it and move on.  BYU as an institution clearly has no issues with it and left the discipline, if any, in the hands of the team.  If BYU were in a conference there could be conference discipline, but since they are not, there is no real oversight of the team being done with an administration that is clearly just rubber-stamping Bronco's policies.

Say what? What was the flag for then? 

At least you acknowledge that the Boysee player lunged at the BYU player who was already down with possession.

Although BYU is not a member of a conference, we are subject to the CFO West officials (the Big XII, MWC and Southland). They did not deem it a suspendable offense. 

Actually, you are incorrect.  Tago was playing the strong side LB, his responsibility is not the FB in that play.  You display a complete lack of football knowledge because this is about one of the most basic blocking schemes that exist; just about every HS team runs it.

Hey zoomie, how is that search for Tyler Williams stats going? 

I hear he's gonna be a tough guy for TC to replace

12667677.jpeg

No anger isn't displayed in my response, simply calling you out for an argument that has absolutely no foundation to it.

BOLTS SINK NAVY BEAT ARMY 

AFA's #12 intentionally directly ram his helmet into SJSU's #4. Blindsided him and KOing him. #4 was kept out of the rest of the game. #12 was ejected. Press play and watch #12 come up from the bottom left corner of the frame and make a bee-line for #4. He left #26 completely unblocked.

BOLTS BEAT MI STATE!

Yeah, but he didn't block. He targeted.

Blindside happens frequently in a game, that really isn't the issue here. You're trying too hard.

You added the blindside fact, not me. Clearly you were the one trying too hard to sell the quality of "dirty" in the play.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

There is only so much you can do to change people's perception of you.  What could BYU possibly do to get @jackmormon, @tailingpermit, or @StanfordAggie to have a positive image of BYU?  You are never going to have everyone walking around with halos floating above their head--and even if you did that doesn't mean people look positively on that.  Anyone who wants to be fair at all about all the negative publicity or image needs to look a little closer at what is actually being done and lose the cynical eye.  After all--when BYU handled things publicly, they were criticized.  Now that they handle it internally, they are criticized.  Nothing has changed in that respect.

I think the angst comes from those of us who've worked very hard to promote a good image of the church.  I'm reasonably sure you served a mission.  I did as well, and it's hard to go out and sweat and walk and puke and shit somewhere other than the friendly confines of your own country.  You work months to share a message and build goodwill and it's hard to see it go downhill a little when a team representing not only our church, but us individually does this kind of thing.  I agree, it goes on with every other team in the country, but BYU has taken upon itself the mantle of building that goodwill and sending that message through football.  Some things should be handled internally and it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  Sins of a sexual nature or other things that a bishop or stake president weighs in on should stay confidential.  There is no need for a public pound of flesh.  You at BYU were criticized for handling those externally, and rightfully changed the policy.  Violations of law or game rules demand public exposure because the public is the victim in cases of illegal acts, and punishments for violations of game rules are made public to protect the integrity of the game and make sure each side suffers or benefits equally from adherence/violations to the rules.  I'd like to go back to AFA being the dirtiest team in football, because it promotes the image that they're out there practicing in preparation for chop-blocking ISIS.

I think the angst comes from those of us who've worked very hard to promote a good image of the church.  I'm reasonably sure you served a mission.  I did as well, and it's hard to go out and sweat and walk and puke and shit somewhere other than the friendly confines of your own country.  You work months to share a message and build goodwill and it's hard to see it go downhill a little when a team representing not only our church, but us individually does this kind of thing.  I agree, it goes on with every other team in the country, but BYU has taken upon itself the mantle of building that goodwill and sending that message through football.  Some things should be handled internally and it doesn't have to be an either/or situation.  Sins of a sexual nature or other things that a bishop or stake president weighs in on should stay confidential.  There is no need for a public pound of flesh.  You at BYU were criticized for handling those externally, and rightfully changed the policy.  Violations of law or game rules demand public exposure because the public is the victim in cases of illegal acts, and punishments for violations of game rules are made public to protect the integrity of the game and make sure each side suffers or benefits equally from adherence/violations to the rules.  I'd like to go back to AFA being the dirtiest team in football, because it promotes the image that they're out there practicing in preparation for chop-blocking ISIS.

I appreciate that.  I really do.  But at the same time I think to an extent it's talking out of both sides of the mouth for someone to say when BYU football does things that are against the rules, it hurts the image of the church and they wish they would do better to leave a better impression.  But at the same time, they go to great efforts to make BYU look bad by harping on any issue that arises, mocking them openly on message boards, bending or stretching the truth about policies and conduct at the school or questioning integrity or motives, and sharing general disdain for the university and everything attached to it including their fans.  There is plenty of good-natured stuff that goes on and even being genuinely upset about certain things is fine in my book.  But it does often go far beyond reasonable, no?

Hey zoomie, how is that search for Tyler Williams stats going? 

I hear he's gonna be a tough guy for TC to replace

So your not going to address that you don't understand simple blocking schemes?  The kid is a sophomore and is in WR rotation. We typically use 5-6 receivers during a game and he is one of them. He's only played 2 games. You stated he was a benchwarmer, I stated he was not. I've got to hand it to you, if nothing else you are entertaining. I'm moving on to the next game but, take care Don Quixote.