Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Chris Obekpa

Would Dave Rice be recruiting Chris Obekpa if his job was not in jeopardy?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would Dave Rice be recruiting Chris Obekpa if his job was not in jeopardy?

• Yes.
    • No.

I think the real question that needs to be asked is: Has Dave Rice learned any-phucking-thing about recruiting?

Here is a quote from the New York Post on Obekpa, " A source said Obekpa didn’t want to be part of Chris Mullin’s program, in part because of the different manner in which it is being run, with stricter rules, more discipline and everyone being held accountable." (http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/chris-obekpa-quits-st-johns-again-due-to-mullins-strict-regime/)

In general, this sounds like the kind of player coaches should be running FROM, not TO. A player who wants to avoid discipline and accountability sounds like a terrible addition to any team.

All of these negatives are multiplied exponentially by the fact that Rice either can't or won't stand up to his players. Did Rice forget about Bryce Dejean-Jones?

And finally, this doesn't have anything to do with Rice's job being in jeopardy because Obekpa will have to sit for a year. If he was looking for a late addition to help him save his job it would only make sense that the player could actually play in the coming season.

I think the real question that needs to be asked is: Has Dave Rice learned any-phucking-thing about recruiting?

Here is a quote from the New York Post on Obekpa, " A source said Obekpa didn’t want to be part of Chris Mullin’s program, in part because of the different manner in which it is being run, with stricter rules, more discipline and everyone being held accountable." (http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/chris-obekpa-quits-st-johns-again-due-to-mullins-strict-regime/)

In general, this sounds like the kind of player coaches should be running FROM, not TO. A player who wants to avoid discipline and accountability sounds like a terrible addition to any team.

All of these negatives are multiplied exponentially by the fact that Rice either can't or won't stand up to his players. Did Rice forget about Bryce Dejean-Jones?

And finally, this doesn't have anything to do with Rice's job being in jeopardy because Obekpa will have to sit for a year. If he was looking for a late addition to help him save his job it would only make sense that the player could actually play in the coming season.

You're absolutely wrong.  This has everything to do with Dave Rice's job being in jeopardy.  He would be able to recruit a high school big for 2016 if TKM didn't sabotage him.

I wish that the RunninRebels would use the final available scholarship on '16 UNLV commit Justin Jackson (who still may reclass from '16 to '15) because if he preps another season I truly fear that he could slip away (Kentucky and some other elite programs really seemed to like him).  That is why I'm not very enthused about the Obekpa visit.

That being said, I don't think that UNLV or any other MWC school is in a position to turn away a player of Obekpa's potential if he wants to come to campus for a visit.  Yes, he has issues.  DraftExpress had him as the #31 junior at the end of this past season as far as pro potential.  That puts him at a level right in the middle of the top 5 of players returning to the MWC this coming season (James Webb III and Malik Pope are #18 and #21 in their respective classes, and Marvelle Harris and Goodluck Okonoboh are #50 and #52 in theirs).  Winston Shepard is the only ranked current MWC junior (#60) and he has had "issues" similar to Obekpa's.

I don't disagree with anything you (@HoosierRebel) said... I just understand why they would host the kid for a visit and evaluate him a little more while waiting for the verdict on Justin Jackson.  So far I haven't seen it reported anywhere that Obekpa even has an offer from UNLV.

Why would Dave Rice recruit Chris Obekpa if he could land a high school big man for the class of 2016?

I've given up on trying to guess why Rice does some of the the things he does. I'm still scratching my head about Ike Nwamu. Why bring in a kid that is only going to be around for one season and is probably going to expect a bunch of minutes in a back court crowded with your talent? The one who suffers most from Nwamu coming to UNLV is Jordan Cornish and, in all honesty, I'd rather see Cornish get the minutes he spent last season showing he deserves.

With that said, I'll address the underlying assumption to your question, specifically that Rice can't land a big for 2016. Before we get into any specifics it is important to realize we are still three months away from the early signing period and eight months away from the regular signing period. As it stands right now only 53 of the Rivals 150 have committed to a school, which is about 1/3 (
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2016). My point in this is that (1) there is still quite a bit of time left and (2) there are still quite a few players left. Throwing in the towel the early and making a pick because you are scared there won't be anything else seems premature.

Now onto the specifics. Rice currently has scholarship offers out to seven high school bigs in the 2016 class (http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/unlv). I'm not sure where he stands with all of them, but he has offers out and he has kids who are at least somewhat interested in UNLV. One of the 2016 recruits is Chace Stanback's little brother, so maybe we can get a legacy recruit.

I would go on to argue that based on the objectivly verifiable data presented to you the assumption that Dave Rice has no other options for 2016 is, at best, the flawed conclusion of a delusional fan boy, but I'm not going to waste my time. You're going to keep tooting your horn that Rice is a fantastic coach who is the victim of his surroundings, and that is a narrative I am happy to let you cling to.

You're absolutely wrong.  This has everything to do with Dave Rice's job being in jeopardy.  He would be able to recruit a high school big for 2016 if TKM didn't sabotage him.

tina didn't sabotage him, rice did that himself.

I've given up on trying to guess why Rice does some of the the things he does. I'm still scratching my head about Ike Nwamu. Why bring in a kid that is only going to be around for one season and is probably going to expect a bunch of minutes in a back court crowded with your talent? The one who suffers most from Nwamu coming to UNLV is Jordan Cornish and, in all honesty, I'd rather see Cornish get the minutes he spent last season showing he deserves.
With that said, I'll address the underlying assumption to your question, specifically that Rice can't land a big for 2016. Before we get into any specifics it is important to realize we are still three months away from the early signing period and eight months away from the regular signing period. As it stands right now only 53 of the Rivals 150 have committed to a school, which is about 1/3 (
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2016). My point in this is that (1) there is still quite a bit of time left and (2) there are still quite a few players left. Throwing in the towel the early and making a pick because you are scared there won't be anything else seems premature.

Now onto the specifics. Rice currently has scholarship offers out to seven high school bigs in the 2016 class (http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/unlv). I'm not sure where he stands with all of them, but he has offers out and he has kids who are at least somewhat interested in UNLV. One of the 2016 recruits is Chace Stanback's little brother, so maybe we can get a legacy recruit.

I would go on to argue that based on the objectivly verifiable data presented to you the assumption that Dave Rice has no other options for 2016 is, at best, the flawed conclusion of a delusional fan boy, but I'm not going to waste my time. You're going to keep tooting your horn that Rice is a fantastic coach who is the victim of his surroundings, and that is a narrative I am happy to let you cling to.

Your arguments are lame.  Of course there will be recruits who consider UNLV.  They can wait out the season and see where Dave Rice stands.  However, who will sign with a school when they have serious doubts about the head coach being there when they arrive?

I wish that the RunninRebels would use the final available scholarship on '16 UNLV commit Justin Jackson (who still may reclass from '16 to '15) because if he preps another season I truly fear that he could slip away (Kentucky and some other elite programs really seemed to like him).  That is why I'm not very enthused about the Obekpa visit.

That being said, I don't think that UNLV or any other MWC school is in a position to turn away a player of Obekpa's potential if he wants to come to campus for a visit.  Yes, he has issues.  DraftExpress had him as the #31 junior at the end of this past season as far as pro potential.  That puts him at a level right in the middle of the top 5 of players returning to the MWC this coming season (James Webb III and Malik Pope are #18 and #21 in their respective classes, and Marvelle Harris and Goodluck Okonoboh are #50 and #52 in theirs).  Winston Shepard is the only ranked current MWC junior (#60) and he has had "issues" similar to Obekpa's.

I don't disagree with anything you (@HoosierRebel) said... I just understand why they would host the kid for a visit and evaluate him a little more while waiting for the verdict on Justin Jackson.  So far I haven't seen it reported anywhere that Obekpa even has an offer from UNLV.

UNLV can land almost anybody.  They can afford to pass on prospects.

Your arguments are lame.  Of course there will be recruits who consider UNLV.  They can wait out the season and see where Dave Rice stands.  However, who will sign with a school when they have serious doubts about the head coach being there when they arrive?

At least I am making arguments. You point to a single piece of data and try to draw asinine conclusions.

I'm sure recruits would be hesitant to sign on at UNLV, but that hesitation would be there without Tina "sabotaging" Rice. Do you really think it wasn't public knowledge Rice was on the hot seat? Do you think other coaches weren't already telling recruits that Rice could be gone in a season or two? If you think a public power struggle that lasted all of two days was a game changing event you are much less perceptive than I thought, which is saying something because you have demonstrated you are not that bright.

At least I am making arguments. You point to a single piece of data and try to draw asinine conclusions.

I'm sure recruits would be hesitant to sign on at UNLV, but that hesitation would be there without Tina "sabotaging" Rice. Do you really think it wasn't public knowledge Rice was on the hot seat? Do you think other coaches weren't already telling recruits that Rice could be gone in a season or two? If you think a public power struggle that lasted all of two days was a game changing event you are much less perceptive than I thought, which is saying something because you have demonstrated you are not that bright.

Dave Rice could do damage control with recruits if TKM publicly backed him.  Also, you overestimate how much recruits follow programs.  Recruits don't sit and read all of the little details about the schools that recruit them.  San Diego State got a commit a few months ago from a kid who never even saw them play and later decommitted.

Dave Rice could do damage control with recruits if TKM publicly backed him.  Also, you overestimate how much recruits follow programs.  Recruits don't sit and read all of the little details about the schools that recruit them.  San Diego State got a commit a few months ago from a kid who never even saw them play and later decommitted.

Wait, you are saying I overestimate how much recruits follow programs but you started this thread arguing that the 2-3 days Rice's job was in question was enough to cripple recruiting to the point where Rice was forced to recruit a kid that has serious off-the-court question marks? You do see how you are taking positions that are necessarily contradictory, right?

Also, what do you mean Tina should back Rice? Are you saying she should back him beyond the 15-16 season?

Wait, you are saying I overestimate how much recruits follow programs but you started this thread arguing that the 2-3 days Rice's job was in question was enough to cripple recruiting to the point where Rice was forced to recruit a kid that has serious off-the-court question marks? You do see how you are taking positions that are necessarily contradictory, right?

Also, what do you mean Tina should back Rice? Are you saying she should back him beyond the 15-16 season?

My positions aren't contradictory.  Recruits follow teams closely enough to know that Dave Rice nearly got fired.

Tina should do what is best for the long-term results of the program, and that includes publicly stating the obvious... Rice needs to produce fast. Recruiting classes are short term. Extremely short-term under Rice.