Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BroncoOrange

More Big 12 expansion rumors

I figured it has been a few days since we talked about expansion. :popcorn:

Capture.JPG

There's 2 reasons why he is just throwing things up against the wall hoping they stick.  His rationale for expansion was tweeted prior to this one.

1) "They will find 2 teams to expand to 12 to hold conf champ game, which they feel caused them to miss CFB playoff last year"

There will be no need to expand in order to hold a CCG, since the rule requiring 12 teams will soon be scrapped.

2) "Having been a part of expansion in past career, I respectfully disagree. Too much money on line for Big 12 to miss CFB playoff"

The Big 12 is guaranteed, like the other P5 conferences, $50 million each playoff. Each playoff participant gets 6 million, each participant of the other bowls varies (Peach and Cotton, 4 million). So by having TCU and Baylor not make the playoff, the Big 12 lost 2 million, or 200K per school. Where the Big 12 actually lost big money last year was due to the Sugar Bowl being a playoff game, depriving both them and the SEC of their contracted 40 million. That wont be an issue this year. So, even if the Big 12 is cut out again, their take home pay will go way up in '15.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Guest #1Stunner

this is mwc ish

Well... those are your two best Texas partner adds to the MWC.

UTSA has some football momentum, but their basketball gymnasium is too WCC'ish.

XJTEFNLEMVYJAAT.20110415025232.jpg

Yes but San Antonio is one of 2 cities worth visiting in Texas and Austin is taken already.  UTSA is the play if you want to go into Texas.  Just don't send that lackey Thompson so attempt it.  Send Kustra.  They'll leave CUSA so fast....

I figured it has been a few days since we talked about expansion. :popcorn:

Capture.JPG

Big 12 Conference Potentially Seeking Additions from the West;  http://1340thefan.com/big-12-conference-potentially-seeking-additions-from-the-west/

At the end there is this:

In looking at the current landscape, there are worse combinations of schools the Big 12 could add compared to BYU & Boise State. For example, Houston and Memphis.  I would like to see UCF & USF be considered for Big 12 Conference expansion, but at the end of the day if BYU and Boise State are willing to make the jump, I say add them ASAP.

B)

North Texas has a very nice basketball arena

Super-Pit-for-Mean-Green-pullout.jpg

I'll say this for North Texas, they spend a bit of $$ upgrading all their facilities.

Look for them to develop even more being in CUSA.  

Yes but San Antonio is one of 2 cities worth visiting in Texas and Austin is taken already.  UTSA is the play if you want to go into Texas.  Just don't send that lackey Thompson so attempt it.  Send Kustra.  They'll leave CUSA so fast....

Texas St. will get you both.   San Marcos, sits 45 min away from SA and Austin.   I hope they develop more but the Sunbelt with only a few bowls makes it a little difficult to be chosen.  They were left out last year for another Sunbelt team in the east despite having a worse record.

Most of the TCU fans are strongly, strongly ambivalent about the MWC adding 2 Texas schools, and especially North Texas and UTSA.

Fixed your post.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Texas St. will get you both.   San Marcos, sits 45 min away from SA and Austin.   I hope they develop more but the Sunbelt with only a few bowls makes it a little difficult to be chosen.  They were left out last year for another Sunbelt team in the east despite having a worse record.

Yeah I honestly really like Texas State. If we were to add two Texas schools I would choose them and UTEP.

Even if Boise came around five years earlier Utah would have accepted a Pac 12 invitation and TCU would have jumped as well..

The BYU guys want to blame Thompson for everything, but the Cougars would have left too if an invitation from a better conference happened.

The 2 things keeping byu out of a P5 Conf:

* Actively Teaching Hate

* Keeping the Sabath Holy

GO STATE...Beat Minnesota!!!

Having a Texas school in the MWC was a great thing for the conference.  Yes, I know the other schools aren't as good as TCU.  But they would help the conference quite a bit.

Best options are

(1) North Texas

(2) UTSA or Texas State

Hahahahaha...UTEP & Houston is better than all 3-of-those.

Hahahahaha...UTEP & Houston is better than all 3-of-those.

Houston is simply not an option. 

UTEP really isn't either, but personally I see much more upside in any of the Texas Triplets (UNT/UTSA/Texas State). 

UTEP has very nice facilities, historical ties with many of the MWC schools and BBall tradition, but they have been very bad in Football for a very long time (forever?), do not deliver Texas recruiting (El Paso about as close to California as it is to Dallas), have zero national appeal or name-brand and have a small media market. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Houston is simply not an option. 

UTEP really isn't either, but personally I see much more upside in any of the Texas Triplets (UNT/UTSA/Texas State). 

UTEP has very nice facilities, historical ties with many of the MWC schools and BBall tradition, but they have been very bad in Football for a very long time (forever?), do not deliver Texas recruiting (El Paso about as close to California as it is to Dallas), have zero national appeal or name-brand and have a small media market. 

I agree with most of what you say, but they are not really a small market. The El Paso MSA does has nearly a million people (and they pretty much own it). But I doubt they'll ever be good in football.