Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

San Jose State Recruiting 2016

Here is a Texas size bump since this thread had fallen to the bottom of the page!

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

I few post LOI day comments with regards to San Jose State's 2016 recruiting class:

• My overall feeling is this was a very good (not great) class. The coaches won a number of battles for players against other MWC schools, and that's always a good thing. They filled a number of needs, spread the recruits around to all the areas of the team, and only signed two JC guys. 2016 was the third strong class in a row for SJSU, so I'm optimistic that the Spartans to be competitive for the next few seasons.
  • A lot of ballyhoo about SJSU having "mega de-commitments" after Coach Deonte Williams departed for Arizona. For the record, the Spartans lost five, with two of them being twin brothers, Suli and Seti Tamaivena, who signed with Washington State. Others were Deonte Perry & Johnny Rojas flipping to Fresno State, and Keoni Stallworth flipping to SDSU. The loss of Stallworth was quickly offset by the signing of Jonathan Lenard, who is the higher rated safely of the two. Losing the Tamaivena twins on signing day was the biggest surprise. They both are great pass rushers, which SJSU really needed help with, so not landing them was disappointing. But then again, SJSU lost them to a PAC-12 school, which is going to happen. Losing Perry to Fresno State was an expected blow, but the Spartans have a pretty good running back that redshirted last season, after transferring from NAU, in Marquise Paige, and SJSU did sign Jamar Williams-Sheppard, who at 6-1 / 215 is a bigger back than SJSU normally gets. Rojas was one of the lesser rated recruits on SJSU's commitment list. So, I would have much rather have lost him than any of the others that the Spartans did sign. San Jose State signed three players that were offered by Fresno State, and lost three to the Bulldogs. So, the schools broke even in that regard.
  • The good thing about losing Perry and Rojas the final weekend was it enabled SJSU to sign two 3-star players from Antelope HS, near Sacramento. OL Jalean Lewis de-committed from Washington State, and his teammate, QB Montel Aaron de-committed from Temple. I'm pretty stoked about Aaron. If given the choice, I'd have taken him over any of the five players SJSU lost in the final days.
  • SJSU finished in the top half of the conference in the recruiting rankings, which was my own expectation. 24/7 has SJSU in the number five spot, just behind SDSU and ahead of Fresno State, despite missing one of the 3-star recruits, Jonathan Lenard, from the list. Spartans are listed in the 6th spot on Scout, behind Fresno State. However, I remember last year a number of vocal Fresno fans making hay about how the Bulldog's average recruit ranking was higher than SJSU, so therefore their class was better. This year, Scout has SJSU with a 2.43 average recruit rating, and Fresno State at 2.41 (FWIW). Had SJSU held on to Deonte Perry and Suli Tamaivena, they might have finished in the top three. Close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I was limited in my access to the board since Tuesday, due to an issue with my laptop, and could only read and post with my phone (which I hate doing). Glad to be back in full force now.

Champ Logo.jpg

Considering the loss of coach Williams (should have made him dc the second the season ended), I'm pretty happy with the class.  Recruiting has gone well the last few years, but it's got to translate to on-field success this season. 2016 is put up or shut up time for Ronnie c.

Congrats... it sounds like SJSU did quite well, in spite of the loss of the Twins & a few others. 

Who did ur HC (Carraker?) hire as DC, and is he better than Williams who left for UA? 

I look forward to seeing all of the MWC teams improving from 2015's less than excellent performances vs. our P5 foes , & in relation to our G5 peers.   Go MWC!

3 hours ago, RAMification said:

Congrats... it sounds like SJSU did quite well, in spite of the loss of the Twins & a few others. 

Who did ur HC (Carraker?) hire as DC, and is he better than Williams who left for UA? 

I look forward to seeing all of the MWC teams improving from 2015's less than excellent performances vs. our P5 foes , & in relation to our G5 peers.   Go MWC!

Our new DC is Ron English, former DC at Michigan and Head Coach at Eastern Michigan. He replaces retired DC Greg Robinson, not Williams. 

Champ Logo.jpg

On July 3, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Mike Morgan said:

Fresh thread for 2016

San Jose State Signed Letters of Intent:

LB  Blake Walls  ***  (5-10 / 225)   Serra HS  Gardena, CA (Offered by Florida St)

WR JaQuan Blackwell  ***  (6-0 / 165)  Citrus Hills HS  Perris, CA  (Offers from Utah, Fresno St)

CB  Cam Smith  ***  (6-1 / 175) Roosevelt HS  Corona, CA 

CB  Marquise Green  **  (6-1 / 180)  Carter HS   Rialto, CA

QB  Sam Allen  (6-3 / 210)  Victor Valley College  / Fork Union Military Academy (4 to play 3)

RB  Jamar Williams-Sheppard  **  (5-11 / 190)  Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep  San Francisco, CA

DE  Cameron Alexander  ***  (6-4 / 220)  Mira Costa HS  Manhattan Beach, CA

WR  Adarrus Wilson  ***  (6-3 / 190)  Morningside HS   Inglewood, CA  (offers from Hawaii, Navy, UNLV) 

CB  Tre Webb  ***  (6-1 / 180)  Servite HS  Anaheim, CA

OL  Mike Gandy  ***  (6-4 / 305)  Palo Alto HS 

OT  Adam Heigis  ***  (6-6 / 285)  Orange Lutheran HS  Orange, CA

DE/OT  Dante Abono **  (6-6 / 245)   Alhambra HS   Martinez, CA

PK   Jake Lanski  **  (5-9 / 199)   Ventura College / Ventura HS

TE   Cameron Woodard ** (6-4 / 260)  Valley Christian HS  San Jose, CA (offers from SDSU and New Mexico)

LB   Noah Failauga   (6-1 / 230)  Eastside Catholic HS   Sammamish, WA  (offer from New Mexico)

TE  William Humphreys *** (6-5 / 220) Notre Dame HS  Sherman Oaks, CA  (offer from Wyoming)

OL  Jaelen Lewis *** (6-5 / 265) Antelope HS  Antelope, CA (Offers from Washington State, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State, Idaho, UNLV0

QB  Montel Aaron *** (6-3.5 / 190) Antelope HS  Antelope, CA (Offers from Temple, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV)

S  Jonathan Lenard *** (6-1 / 185)  Rio Mesa HS, Oxnard, CA (Offers from San Diego State, Fresno State, Nevada, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico)

Preferred Walk-ons

FB  Francoise Sims II  (6-0 / 225)  St Augustine HS  San Diego, CA

LS James Workman (6-3 / 215)  Liberty HS, Renton WA

OL Blake Walker (6-8 / 300)  Central Valley Christian HS, Visalia, CA

Well it appears that 3* OL Mike Gandy would rather go to JC so scratch him from the list. 

22 hours ago, Fowl said:

Well it appears that 3* OL Mike Gandy would rather go to JC so scratch him from the list. 

No problem. Word is OG Skylar Lacy, a graduate transfer from Louisville, with two years of eligibility, is transferring to SJSU. He started 13 games for Louisville, and should provide not only depth, but also an instant upgrade to the SJSU O-line. I wish Gandy much success in the future.

Champ Logo.jpg