Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV recruiting

Guest RoscoesDad

Get ready for Tony Samuel.  He won't cost anything.  I would be more upset with UNLV going the cheapest route possible, but he is a really good coach so hopefully it works out.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, GoldenEagleAztec said:

Any Vegas fan know what is the connection between UNLV & Saddleback College? Back-to-back bounce back QBs have found their way to Vegas from the southside of the OC.

I don't know if OC Barney Cotton and assistant John Garrison had any part of steering Johnny Stanton to Saddleback when he left Nebraska - where they were coaching him - but when those two came to UNLV they already had a relationship with Stanton and brought him over from Saddleback.

In general the staff recruits the JCs in California and Arizona pretty hard.

The latest QB from Saddleback has another connection, which may create odd chemistry.  Max Gilliam and current UNLV QB Armani Rogers were in the same HS class and both committed to Cal.  Now they will both be sophomores together at UNLV. 

Just now, TheDoggFather said:

He's a grad assistant. Boise didn't have a place for him, what's he supposed to do?

I am mostly just joking.  I think it is cool that Fresno has so many ties now to what we have been doing in Boise.  Tedford worked closely with Pete, Moore looks like a fantastic WR's coach and D.J Harper will be a position coach for you guys or somewhere else sooner than later.  There are worse things that could happen to Fresno than having a little Boise influence in the program.

Guest RoscoesDad

My boy who runs YAC is going to bring a bunch of his recruits to UNLV on 2/25 for an 'unofficial trip'.  Huffman from Rivals should be there, i'll try to tag along and post any relevant info.  He's got some pretty good HS talent and his nephew is also 1st team CA JC - DE at Moorpark (bounce from SDSU).

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I thought to myself that maybe he can play both here, but why wouldn’t the other schools allow the same thing?  Based on what we have, he would play right away.

UNLV in John Jackson III's final five, along with USC, Nebraska, Oregon, and UCLA.  Iowa State thought they were one of his top two... I guess not:

https://huskercorner.com/2018/02/05/nebraska-football-john-jackson-cut/

The fact that UNLV is the only G5 school on the list means something, as well as the belief that UNLV actually has a very good chance at landing him.

Pinned Tweet

JJiiiOffers.PNG

While most of the teams in the MWC already have most of their players signed, UNLV fans are having to wait until NLI signing day for the final tally.  The Rebels enter the day ranked about 8th in the MWC for recruiting class but should move up several spots depending on if they get any of these key recruiting targets:

• WR John Jackson III (deciding between UNLV, USC, Nebraska, UCLA, and Oregon)
  • OL (6-foot-5, 318-pound) Hunter Mayginnes - had his ASU offer revoked last month when he visited UCLA
  • LB Malakai Salu (supposedly silently committed after his UNLV OV, but has not yet publicly committed)
  • LB Omari Harris, decommitted from Cal, had Nebraska and Utah offers

Guest RoscoesDad

UNLV doing very nicely so far.  We got 3* Salu and we managed to keep 3* Moa Heimuli.  Also TE from GA Shelton Zeon a bit of a surprise, he is a monster.  Mayginnes is supposedly going to wait a month before committing and nothing yet from Jackson or Harris.

6 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

UNLV doing very nicely so far.  We got 3* Salu and we managed to keep 3* Moa Heimuli.  Also TE from GA Shelton Zeon a bit of a surprise, he is a monster.  Mayginnes is supposedly going to wait a month before committing and nothing yet from Jackson or Harris.

Jackson to USC.

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Bummer

You guys satisfied with your class?

I like the size we are getting on the lines. Not super sure on the defensive backfield and LB's. Was really hoping for a stud LB, but I always am. Pretty meh on the skills positions, and that's usually where one of our lone bright spots are.

Overall I think we addressed the real needs, so I'd say I am satisfied, but not super excited.

Guest RoscoesDad
43 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I like the size we are getting on the lines. Not super sure on the defensive backfield and LB's. Was really hoping for a stud LB, but I always am. Pretty meh on the skills positions, and that's usually where one of our lone bright spots are.

Overall I think we addressed the real needs, so I'd say I am satisfied, but not super excited.

We have quite a # of guys who were injured or red-shirted last year at LB and CB/S, it wasn't a huge need this class, biggest need was DL for sure.  We have a lot of big S, namely a total stud named Javin White who better be starting OLB next year along with Hester MLB and McCoy on the other side.  I think those are our set starters at LB.  Some of those bigger DBs will also likely slide down to OLB, I wouldn't mind seeing Hough at OLB, he is agressive and it gives him less space to miss tackles (lol).  Tykenzie Daniels blew out his knee in spring last year, he will push for a starting CB spot along with Flowers and Kalili.