Warbow

MWC has created an uneven playing field

​I see the MWC as ONE conference, not 12 difference individual teams in one conference. There's already 'perks" established with-in the system to reward those that excel in individual sports (Access bowl pay-outs/gate revenue/product sales etc.) In some conferences it also includes Tier 3 TV rights. The conference as a whole has decided what revenues to share among it's members, I can live with that. Those should be shared equally among its members, that's fair. Boise St already has already rewarded itself for not being "equal" or superior on the playing field by taking in a higher percentage of the Access bowl, increased tickets and product sales etc. As it should be. Nothing wrong about that. What's wrong is the conference is rewarding Boise at the expense of its other members. That's my beef.

A better and fair way to reward members for superior play would be to eliminate TV bonus money (shared funds) and let its members keep all Tier 3 TV rights monies that THEY generate. I'm sure Boise could agree to that and work a great deal for themselves.

So if Hawaii gets a P12 invite, you'll turn it down because the MWC is ONE conference and you're going to stick with us?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Seriously, is everything alright at home, Warbow? This isn't trolling, it's real, and out of character to go so extremely far out there and stay there. 

sometimes i have to test my limits.

Why does half of this conference openly tolerate and encourage a TV distribution system that creates a permanent disparity between long-time members?  It seems like you guys love this system, but I don't understand why you would.  

If Aresco pulled this stunt, half of the AAC would walk out the door.  

It's a good thing Aresco hasn't pulled a stunt like that.  It would be a shame to repeat the results of his last stunt of inviting Tulane and have half of the conference walk out the door.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

It's a good thing Aresco hasn't pulled a stunt like that.  It would be a shame to repeat the results of his last stunt of inviting Tulane and have half of the conference walk out the door.

The C7 were going to leave anyway for the FOX contract.  They needed to someone to blame, and they chose Tulane.  They knew Tulane wasn't going to fire back at them so Tulane was basically the easiest target of all time.  

I would like to see Tulane do something in basketball before football, just to make the point that schools don't stay down forever.  (We're #68 in recruiting now - ahead of a number of Big East schools).   

The C7 were going to leave anyway for the FOX contract.  They needed to someone to blame, and they chose Tulane.  They knew Tulane wasn't going to fire back at them so Tulane was basically the easiest target of all time.  

I would like to see Tulane do something in basketball before football, just to make the point that schools don't stay down forever.  (We're #68 in recruiting now - ahead of a number of Big East schools).   

​To set the record straight the C7 decided to break away on 15 Dec 2012. Tulane had just been admitted  to the nBE a few weeks earlier on 27 Nov 2012.  Commish Aresco wanted his butt-buddy in the conference.  It started when CFU's president John Hitt notifed Aresco that "Scott Cowen at Tulane wants to talk with me about possibilities for Tulane in the Big East. Scott is a friend. Will listen and then call you. John." This was from emails obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

Aresco responded, "Great, John, their AD, Rick Dixon, is an old friend and he called this afternoon. They are extremely interested. This would be a big one for us, important market, great schoolicon1.png academically, and Scott would be in our tent on the BCS revenue share matter we have to deal with as well as other things. He's a bulldog and very sharp. Keep me posted. Thanks, Mike."

I have no hard feelings against Tulane but it is hard to say if Tulane's addition played a part in the decision for the C7 to bail.  But the loss of the C7 along with loss of many marquee teams, compounded by the addtion of teams like Temple and Tulane  was enough for Boise State to also bail after Aresco's broken promise to "look west for future members".  

"A donkey always says thank you with a kick." --– Kenyan Proverb

Aloha Guys!

Interesting discussion on the current set up of the financials for the different teams here.

Whether we (Hawaii fans) like it or not, our then leaders (MRC & Rockne) agreed to pay the travel subs as part of the agreement to be a part of this conference.

Questionable leadership and bad decisions (Chow) have lead to an even bigger financial hole for Hawaii.  Paying the travel subs ensures Hawaii spot to continue to play your fine institutions.  But it also makes it tougher for us to put money into facilities and coaching salaries to improve our program.  You couple crappy pay for our football coaches plus some of the highest cost of living in the nation, and you have a tough financial conundrum.  Is that the MWC and it's member schools problem?  No.

Hawaii needs to do a better job with what they have.  We need to continue to improve salaries for our coaches and improve facilities.  We need to stop the bleeding.  So what comes first, the chicken or the egg?  I have always said that it starts with getting rid of that plague that is destroying our entire athletic department, Norm Chow.

I hope that we can improve and prove our worth to the MWC.  Right now, outside of a bag of cash we are reluctantly turning over in terms of travel subs, we are bringing very little to the conference.  On the bright side, we aren't really taking much either.  We do appreciate the bowl money.  Mahalo, especially to Boise State for that.  We gotta get better.  Because drastic changes are coming to our athletic department across the board if we don't.

Go Bows!

Go MWC!

Go Warriors! Go Bows! Go Wahine! GO HAWAI'I!!

aloha-stadium.jpg

This is Mountain West Country

ALOHA!

Follow me on Twitter! @UHawkFan12

Seriously, is everything alright at home, Warbow? This isn't trolling, it's real, and out of character to go so extremely far out there and stay there.

​i'm sorry if your brain can't comprehend this.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I do understand what Warbow is saying.  An uneven revenue distribution system does not bode well for a strong and competitive conference.  It's lopsided.  Rewarding one school heavily (Boise State) while taking from another (Hawaii).  But these are the conditions and rules both schools were able parlay, or reluctantly agreed to.  We just got to make the best of it.

Strong conference members that are competitive and financially viable benefit everyone.  High tide raises all boats.  Therein lies the rub.

Hard to argue that Boise doesn't deserve more since they add more to the pot.  But you have to at least sympathize with our school in the negative aspect the travel subs are having on our programs bottom line.

aloha-stadium.jpg

ALOHA!

I do understand what Warbow is saying.  An uneven revenue distribution system does not bode well for a strong and competitive conference.  It's lopsided.  Rewarding one school heavily (Boise State) while taking from another (Hawaii).  But these are the conditions and rules both schools were able parlay, or reluctantly agreed to.  We just got to make the best of it.

Strong conference members that are competitive and financially viable benefit everyone.  High tide raises all boats.  Therein lies the rub.

Hard to argue that Boise doesn't deserve more since they add more to the pot.  But you have to at least sympathize with our school in the negative aspect the travel subs are having on our programs bottom line.

​But, as this thread points-out, Hawaii is the only MWC school with its own regional TV deal, which pays UH several million a year for the islands TV distribution of the games.

If Hawaii is going to participate in the main MWC TV deal, then those regional revenues would need to be shared with the MWC, split among all programs.

In-effect, you're both claiming it's totally unfair, even though Hawaii enjoys its own "unfair" TV revenue advantage.  This comes across to the rest of us as if Hawaii is trying to have its cake and eat it too.

Hawaii getting a MWC regular TV payout, and keeping its regional TV deal is like BYU back in the MWC and getting a TV share, but keeping their ESPN deal for all home games.  It's one or the other, you can't have both.

The travel subsidies are a separate but still important issue.  Blame the Front-Range schools over that- they're the ones that helped form the MWC in part to get away from Hawaii, due to not getting those subsidies anymore.

The MWC needs to sit down and readdress all these financial issues.

1. Travel subs.   Hawaii pays the travel of only what is over and beyond what it takes to fly from California (LAX) to Hawaii. That is the only added cost of having Hawaii in the MWC.

2. MWC shared revenue distributions. Equal across the board. Remove TV bonus money and allow schools to make up for that by letting them keep all monies of their Tier 3 TV deal.

3. Allow schools to renegotiate their own and keep all benefits of a Tier 3 TV deal (to include live internet steaming) . This helps schools who put great effort into fielding a good program to capitalize on their successes on their own merit.

4. Access bowl payouts. 50% to the school who makes an access bowl and the other 50% goes into revenue sharing among it's members.

I'm sure all MWC schools would agree to the above and it even may get BYU back into the MWC with those Tier 3 rights ownership.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

​But, as this thread points-out, Hawaii is the only MWC school with its own regional TV deal, which pays UH several million a year for the islands TV distribution of the games.

If Hawaii is going to participate in the main MWC TV deal, then those regional revenues would need to be shared with the MWC, split among all programs.

In-effect, you're both claiming it's totally unfair, even though Hawaii enjoys its own "unfair" TV revenue advantage.  This comes across to the rest of us as if Hawaii is trying to have its cake and eat it too.

Hawaii getting a MWC regular TV payout, and keeping its regional TV deal is like BYU back in the MWC and getting a TV share, but keeping their ESPN deal for all home games.  It's one or the other, you can't have both.

The travel subsidies are a separate but still important issue.  Blame the Front-Range schools over that- they're the ones that helped form the MWC in part to get away from Hawaii, due to not getting those subsidies anymore.

It's 2.3 million dollars a year.  You can make an argument that that thing has outlived its usefulness.  It severely cuts into the live gate and ticket sales.  But that's a whole other can of worms.  Aloha Stadium, parking, concession, signage, and the cost to clean that piece of trash up after the games.

Bottom line is this.  UH is working with a broken financial model.  The expenses outweigh the revenue.  UH wants help at the state level for subsidization but wants autonomy to control where that money goes.  The state wants a say in how that money would be spent because quite honestly, UH has pissed millions away rather foolishly.  Fake concerts, buying out crappy coaches and ADs, etc.  Yet again, another can of worms.

I wish UH would abolish the PPV contract with Oceanic Time Warner.  But it would be wise to get better on the football field before doing so.  It would reopen negotiations on travel subs with the MWC.  We kept all of our PPV money and got a slice from the WAC while we were members.

aloha-stadium.jpg

ALOHA!

​You know nothing of Hawaii's Tier 3 TV deal. Hawaii choose and was given an option to either keep it's own TV money or throw it in the MWC pot to be distributed to all 12 schools. Hawaii choose to keep it's own deal and not get a share of the MWC's TV money. Hawaii receives no natta nothing from the MWC for TV money. Most conference let the school keep their tier 3 TV money (Longhorn network) and still receive an equal share of the conference Tier 1 and 2 TV deals.

Why do you think BYU left. Those greedy conference members wanted a share of the BYU network Tier 3 TV money. BYU wasn't going to let that happen.

The MWC needs to sit down and readdress all these financial issues.

1. Travel subs.   Hawaii pays the travel of only what is over and beyond what it takes to fly from California (LAX) to Hawaii. That is the only added cost of having Hawaii in the MWC.

2. MWC shared revenue distributions. Equal across the board. Remove TV bonus money and allow schools to make up for that by letting them keep all monies of their Tier 3 TV deal.

3. Allow schools to renegotiate their own and keep all benefits of a Tier 3 TV deal (to include live internet steaming) . This helps schools who put great effort into fielding a good program to capitalize on their successes on their own merit.

4. Access bowl payouts. 50% to the school who makes an access bowl and the other 50% goes into revenue sharing among it's members.

I'm sure all MWC schools would agree to the above and it even may get BYU back into the MWC with those Tier 3 rights ownership.

​I will counter your proposal with this:

Re-structure the revenue sharing agreement to something similar to this ... First separate the revenue streams ... General media contract revenue is currently about $20M/yr -- that can be distributed equally. 3rd tier media rights can be sold by individual teams for their sole benefit, or pooled to be sold regionally -- those teams that would rather let the conference manage them can do so for the MWC to sell to Root or use on MWCtv/Campus Insiders

MWC CCG is a bonus game similar to a bowl game so it gets to be apportioned separately from the regular media like a bowl game -- in that the conference champion goes on to keep half of the earnings from either the Las Vegas bowl or the NYE/D Bowl and the rest is divided among the rest of the conference so the same can be applied to the MWC CCG.

A similar distribution model could be used for NCAA credits, where half of all earned credits would be kept by the team that earned them, the rest would be distributed equally (like for bowl games). 

The CFP has 2 distributions, one that can be distributed equally (pool A & the APR) and the other distribution (pool B based on conference ranking) which was an additional $5M this year can be distributed within the MWC based on Final Conference Standings.

Thus a system of relative equal media shares and a bonus earned for being good at a sport(s) in any given year. 

​For the past year, it would result in $32M  ($20 in Media + $12M from pool A of the CFP) divided equally (based on membership level) and $15M ($47M - $32M) divided based on who earned it e.g. MWC CCG & Bowl Games, CFP pool B & NCAA credits and 3rd tier media.

This should be a pretty good deal all around even football only members

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

It's 2.3 million dollars a year.  You can make an argument that that thing has outlived its usefulness.  It severely cuts into the live gate and ticket sales.  But that's a whole other can of worms.  Aloha Stadium, parking, concession, signage, and the cost to clean that piece of trash up after the games.

Bottom line is this.  UH is working with a broken financial model.  The expenses outweigh the revenue.  UH wants help at the state level for subsidization but wants autonomy to control where that money goes.  The state wants a say in how that money would be spent because quite honestly, UH has pissed millions away rather foolishly.  Fake concerts, buying out crappy coaches and ADs, etc.  Yet again, another can of worms.

I wish UH would abolish the PPV contract with Oceanic Time Warner.  But it would be wise to get better on the football field before doing so.  It would reopen negotiations on travel subs with the MWC.  We kept all of our PPV money and got a slice from the WAC while we were members.

​Which is impossible in the MWC... That is something the original MWC schools won't ever agree to in this conference.

I think you have great points on the Regional TV deal, and also the state of UH Financial Affairs.  The UH TV deal provides more money each season than the MWC TV deal does (unless a school gets a Boise-like number of national TV games).

Finances-aside, I believe it's better for UH to be a MWC member in FB than to be Independent. It also gives Hawaii access to the NY6 Bowl Bids, and a share of the Playoff payout.

​You know nothing of Hawaii's Tier 3 TV deal. Hawaii choose and was given an option to either keep it's own TV money or throw it in the MWC pot to be distributed to all 12 schools. Hawaii choose to keep it's own deal and not get a share of the MWC's TV money. Hawaii receives no natta nothing from the MWC for TV money. Most conference let the school keep their tier 3 TV money (Longhorn network) and still receive an equal share of the conference Tier 1 and 2 TV deals.

Why do you think BYU left. Those greedy conference members wanted a share of the BYU network Tier 3 TV money. BYU wasn't going to let that happen.

​Thank you for confirming my assertion that Hawaii wants to keep their personal TV deal, and get a share of the overall MWC TV deal anyway.

As we've pointed-out, that will never happen; it's one or the other.