Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrBug708

OT - Werewolf (Mafia type forum game)

Would there be any interest in a game of werewolf? For those that don't know what that is, it's basically an online version of the party game, mafia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29

Here is a rundown of what it would look like.
------------------------------------------
A synopsis

--------------------------------------------------------

Players

1. UNLVFan90
2. Chysis
3. SalinasSpartan
4. CV147
5. TRL87
6. Carpen83
7. thelawlorfaithful
8. Jack Bauer
9. Bulldog Rob
10. Wyo1016
11. AZdogfan
12. cgzpack
13. Mugtang

Rules

RULES

Werewolf is a game of accusation, deduction, lying, reverse psychology and bandwagoning. Moreover, it's a lot of fun.

The rules are pretty simple: The players represent a village and each member of the village has a role which is kept secret. Most players are ordinary villagers but two or more are werewolves and one is a seer, there are some other roles which are explained later. The goal of the villagers is to eliminate all of the werewolves. The goal of the werewolves is to achieve 1:1 parity with the villagers at which time they can openly rise up and overwhelm the villagers thus winning the game. You are not allowed to PM each other unless you are on the wolf side.

Gameplay
The game consists of two different phases: Night and Day. The game begins with a Dayphase.

Day
During the daytime the villagers all wake up and find that one of their own has been killed by the werewolves. At this point at least one player is a werewolf and so someone is gonna get lynched.

During this phase all players, including werewolves who have assumed villager form, must discuss their suspicions. Eventually it will reach a point where villagers start to cast votes for who they feel is a werewolf and must be lynched. Votes are cast by placing bold text in a post like this VOTE PLAYER A. At the end of the day (which is defined as 8:00 pm board time) the player who received the most votes is lynched and is removed from the game. That player’s role will be revealed to the village.

When the lynching is done all the villagers go back to their homes to sleep and the next night begins.

Night
In a night phase the moderator will ask the werewolves to choose a villager to “eat” and also ask the seer to choose one player to “view”. The werewolves should decide amongst themselves using the board's PM(private message) function who their victim will be and inform the moderator of their choice. The seer should decide who his target will be and inform the moderator of his choice.

The werewolves' victim is dead and is removed from the game, but the rest of the village won't find out until daytime who the victim is and what their secret role was.

The seer's target has his role (villager or werewolf) revealed to the seer only.

Winning
In case it's not clear: The villagers win if they kill all of the werewolves. The werewolves win if they kill enough villagers so that their numbers are equal. At this point the werewolves can openly rise up and slaughter the rest of the villagers.

Special Roles

Roles will be assigned randomly; the Moderator will inform you of your role via PM when we start the game. The following is a description of the roles in the game.

Villager - Simple townsfolk; no special functions other then a vote.

Seer – There is one Seer in the game and he is on the villagers team. Each night the Seer may choose one other player to “view” by sending a PM to the moderator with that player’s name. The moderator will tell the Seer whether his chosen target is a werewolf or a human. No special role will be revealed to him, just wolf or human

Town Elder - He has no special night function but contains a very important day feature. If voted to be lynched, he may use his influence to pick another village person to be lynched. Once he uses his power though he can no longer use it again

Herbalist - There is one Herbalist in the game, and he is on the villagers team. Each night the Herbalist may choose one other player to protect with his wolfsbane. He may not protect the same player two nights in a row. He may, if he chooses, protect himself, but again, not on consecutive nights.

Werewolf – The werewolves know who each other are and may send PM’s between themselves to discuss strategy. At night the wolves PM the moderator the name of the player they’d like to eat.

Brutal Wolf: If lynched you can select a player to take with you to the grave.
-------------------------------------------
I hope this explains the basic premise. Feel free to sign up/ask questions in this thread.
It's the offseason and it's fun playing and this board is quite active, so I figured I would ask.
FWIW - I run the PAC-12 version of this board. I ran it by Mug earlier in the year and he suggested waiting until after the NCAA season.
Thanks!

This should be fun. Will be a good offseason distraction before the troll derby in May.

You're welcome.  We'll see if this gets any traction.  

Been there done that on another forum. No thanks. Not that it isn't fun, just that I forget to check when I need to, especially when I'm one of the "power" characters.

Plus, it's been several years since I last played. And it was simply called "Mafia" on the site I played it.

Once a player is killed/lynched, they are removed from the game and become strictly an observer. The wolves have the element of surprise on their side and know who the other wolves are and can work together to manipulate the rest of the group.

The wolves win when they achieve a 1-1 ratio with the villagers. The villagers win when they eliminate all of the wolves. For novice players in games, being a wolf is harder the first time or two. Once you've gotten a handle on the game, the wolves tend to have a better shot at winning and often do.

Voting history often gets over scrutinized where people start accusing everyone of being a wolf, even wolves

Once a player is killed/lynched, they are removed from the game and become strictly an observer. The wolves have the element of surprise on their side and know who the other wolves are and can work together to manipulate the rest of the group.

So how many wolves are in the game? Can that number grow or is it a matter of staying alive and picking off the villagers as the sole path to victory?

This particular game doesn't allow the mechanics for wolf conversions. Depending on sign ups I'd estimate just three. You would know how many wolves to be hunted at the start of the game though