Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

av-rated

Fresno State Recruiting

Yup, local prep writer from my area tweeted:

Glendora OL Ben Northup with a signing day surprise, ditching Hawaii to sign with Fresno State http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/20150203/ben-northup-ol-glendora-university-of-hawaii-football-scouting 

View summary0 replies5 retweets5 favorites
 Retweet5
 Favorite5
More

Our team sucks 

Related image

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

More like......

"Can't stop thinking about why Fresno is recruiting Texas so much......"

bell-ringer-jack-off-o.gif

Was just a question... so you are of the opinion he IS currently recruiting in TX? If so, I hope he steals one from TX St., or UTSA, maybe UTEP, real soon....I'm sure he has a ton of "silent" commits ready to pull the FS hat any day now.

Was just a question... so you are of the opinion he IS currently recruiting in TX? If so, I hope he steals one from TX St., or UTSA, maybe UTEP, real soon....I'm sure he has a ton of "silent" commits ready to pull the FS hat any day now.

Lol.

3-9

tumblr_mzucauvoa11ru72puo1_r1_400.gif

I see....dumbfounded like the rest of us.  TD appears (maybe he's not) to be a l a z y recruiter... but, nobody here has answers either, so I'm fine with letting this thread drop back down to the abyss... I'm sure he'll be looking to steal from other MWC lists come Jan-we can talk then.

I see....dumbfounded like the rest of us.  TD appears (maybe he's not) to be a l a z y recruiter... but, nobody here has answers either, so I'm fine with letting this thread drop back down to the abyss... I'm sure he'll be looking to steal from other MWC lists come Jan-we can talk then.

Even a simpleton can figure out that CTD recruits Texas because of the staff's recruiting ties while at aTm.  

Lol @ a fan of a 3-9 team talking smack.  Please continue....

SJSU fans are fun...endless entertainment!

Know-Your-Limits-But-Never-Stop-Trying-T

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Even a simpleton can figure out that CTD recruits Texas because of the staff's recruiting ties while at aTm.  

Lol @ a fan of a 3-9 team talking smack.  Please continue....

OK.... as a Spartan fan, I think his TX focus is excellent and the two time MWC West champs are reeling 'em in.  #ya'all killin'it.

OK.... as a Spartan fan, I think his TX focus is excellent and the two time MWC West champs are reeling 'em in.  #ya'all killin'it.

Straight question, no trolling...how do you think that the recent boon in SJSU recruiting is going to pan out in terms of W/L's this season? And the following few seasons. Clearly you've been following along for both SJSU & FS and I'd like to see where you believe both teams will land based on the differing recruiting approaches. To be honest, I have not been keeping tabs on either and would sincerely appreciate your take, bias and all.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

15849-fail-thread-epic_fail.gif

Straight question, no trolling...how do you think that the recent boon in SJSU recruiting is going to pan out in terms of W/L's this season? And the following few seasons. Clearly you've been following along for both SJSU & FS and I'd like to see where you believe both teams will land based on the differing recruiting approaches. To be honest, I have not been keeping tabs on either and would sincerely appreciate your take, bias and all.

You asking me a football question?  Aight, a football message board we have here after all......

Fresno has talent.... but on paper at least, this year could be one of the more down ones you've had in a while.  QB makes it all go in the world of CFB, and losing your incumbent, no matter how much he struggled at times, hurts-possibly, Big Time.  Burrell showed flashes, especially against the 'lowly' Spartans, but, also struggled which everyone clearly saw.  That said, you just can't lose the only guy on your roster with significant game experience and feel good about it-can't spin it.

Now speaking of spinning it, Greenlee could come out like gangbusters, and light it up.  Strong arm, decent size, lots of HS success and national notoriety coming out of HS. He can make the throws, but he showed last year he was far from possessing the knowledge and mental aspect of the game to do much with it.  Was he just a year away?  We'll find out.  But, losing your 22 year old QB who may have been on the cusp of putting it all together for his senior year hurts; handing the QB position over to three teenagers is never a good thing. If nothing else, you had a very capable back up in Burrell, but that would have only been if one of your youngsters stepped up-now they MUST step up from the get.

FS has to run, run, and run again, and that will likely be the ticket; riding Waller to victory.  A successful rush game will also give the young QB, whomever it is, bigger windows to find young talent like Hardaway and Olsen, as teams will stack the box and dare the young QB to beat them.  I would not be surprised to see your Tr Fr QB back there later in the year running a successful read option game with Waller, but that may be only if things are going south early and often, because I'm sure FS would like to see success with Greenlee/Anderson in order to RS Virgil.

To avoid too much information here, Defensively under Toth, FS, who had two NFL caliber players taken in the draft, has struggled the last two years defensively.  No real reason to believe they become shutdown this year. On paper, the D may struggle even more so.... gotta outscore 'em, but that's usually the MWC's MO anyway.

Recruiting has been underwhelming under TD.  To equate, he reminds me of Tomey when he was at SJS, just kind of waits late for kids to flip etc.  He gets some, but the impression, to me, seems to be he's not as tireless in this area, and/or, he's not connecting locally as Hill/Sweeney did in building the program.  I think going to TX is an overreach and takes you away from the fertile recruiting grounds in his backyard and own State.  Splitting time in both CA and TX, I believe, takes you away from the easier, local sell, and is likely only going to turn up similar talent, mostly competing against the FBS level programs in TX.  That said, Virgil could turn out to be well worth it.

Prediction:  OL allows Waller to pound the ball and QB play surprises, 6-8 wins and bowling again;  QB play is shaky to bad, 3-5 wins and no bowl.

SJS:  Recruiting is outstanding considering there's just not much to sell in SJ.  Attendance struggles, lack of funding for much needed projects, 20 years of losing, HC turnover.  But Donte Williams has been bringing them in, and RC has obviously continued to make recruiting a focal point as MacIntyre did.  Get better talent than your opponents and avg coaches can even find success.  Now, is RC even avg? we'll find out this year IMO.  But, today, the most important coach on the Spartan staff is DW. Even more so than RC, or seasoned coordinators in Robinson and Borges.  At 30ish, DW relates to today's recruit and is bringing skill position talent to SJS never seen before, at least in volume.  Now, promoting him to recruiting coordinator and bumping his pay a few thousand won't keep him around forever, in fact, I'm surprised we still have him and think it's 50/50 he's here to see another class sign.

Should SJS struggle again, 3 wins or so, this year, RC's job will be in jeopardy as year three needs to show tangible improvement.  Schedule isn't easy and stellar recruits are still young (2016, more and more RC recruits hit the field).  Again, it's about QB play.  Likely, Joe Gray starts and he must connect on some deep balls, where he's struggled, and the RZ O (SJS needs something resembling a power game inside the 20's) needs to improve dramatically.  Depth at RB is much improved, will QB play be?

Defensively -get teams to throw it as the DB's are NFL caliber. But, the DL is not and lacks depth.  Again, like FS, gotta outscore 'em, RZ O crucial.  

Prediction:  QB play much improved along with RZ/scoring O, SJS has a chance at 6-7 wins based on a tough schedule.  However, neither improve and teams continue to run at will, SJS looking at 3, maybe.

TD's won with Hill recruits, RC has mostly lost with Mac recruits.  Both will be playing more of their recruits this year, 2016 even more so.  No matter what occurs this year under TD, he'll be around to see "his" recruits, predominately hit the field in 2016; RC has another 3 win year, and he may not see '16.

I appreciate the response and the time that you put into it...hard to argue with what you've presented. I think it's fair and supportable, even if it doesn't slant the way I want...

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg