Warbow

BYU fans

Guest #1Stunner

If by "options" you mean stay in the only conference that would have you that isn't called the Sunbelt or go independent, I think just about any school in the current MW could claim it has "options".

BYU* made a checkers move in a chess game and now they're pretty much screwed.

Please...our basketball is the same as always.

Our football is down from what it was in the MWC, because we need a better coach. With the right coach, we'd return to our norm of being the same caliber as the top MWC school.

Obviously having a bad coach is a different issue than which conference you are in.

Guest #1Stunner

I wonder what BYU is going to do once ESPN realizes their not making any money having them as Indy and substantially reduces their paychecks.

You act like BYU football games involve just 1 team: BYU. Wrong. BYU is giving ESPN a lot of decent content involving 2 teams.

BYU's ESPN contract ends in 2018.  

Here is the content that BYU will be offering to ESPN for 2019 forward:

2019: 4 Home, 3 Road

Aug 29? – WISCONSIN

Sept 7 – @ Virginia

Sept 21 – WASHINGTON

Sept 14 – SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Oct 19 – BOISE STATE

Nov 23 – @ UMass

TBD – @ Washington State ??

[Vegas Bowl?? vs Pac-12]

2020: 3 Home, 4 Road

Sept 12 – ARIZONA

Sept 19 – @ Arizona State

TBD – VIRGINIA

Oct 17 – @ Boise State

Oct 24 – @ Northern Illinois

Nov 7 – MISSOURI 

Nov 28 – @ Stanford

2021: 2 Home, 2 Road

Sept 18 – ARIZONA STATE

Sept 25 – @ USF

Oct 9 – BOISE STATE

Nov 27 – @ Southern California

2022: 1 Home, 2 Road, 

Sept 23 – USF

Oct 8 – @ Boise State

Nov 26 – @ Stanford 

2023: 2 Home, 1 Road

Oct 14 – BOISE STATE

Sept 2 – STANFORD

Nov 25 – @ Southern California

2024: 0 Home, 0 Road

2025: 1 Home

Sept 13 – STANFORD

Nice to see a BYU fan finally admitting the wcc sucks. Stunner is still in denial

It only sucks for basketball.  You get no credit for doing well against anyone in the WCC besides 2 teams.

The rest of it is way better than here, competition wise.  Unfortunately, those sports don't drive the bus, as they say.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

If by "options" you mean stay in the only conference that would have you that isn't called the Sunbelt or go independent, I think just about any school in the current MW could claim it has "options".

BYU* made a checkers move in a chess game and now they're pretty much screwed.

Go independent and see how it goes for you.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Sooooooooooooooo, how do you figure that, Sherlock?

Elementary my dear Watson. 

BYU's TV ratings aren't that good overall.  Not saying their horrible but certainly not obtaining big ratings.  More of a fill-in, and ESPN has a lot of money on the big boys their not going to be spending as much money on BYU. 

BYU's TV ratings aren't that good overall.  Not saying their horrible but certainly not obtaining big ratings.  More of a fill-in, and ESPN has a lot of money on the big boys their not going to be spending as much money on BYU. 

It doesn't take much to be out-paying the MWC share.   :P

Go independent and see how it goes for you.

Didn't say independence was necessarily an option for Wyoming, but I'd say we have others that would be equivalent.

Thing is, Wyoming's mission is education, not an ideo-theological agenda. Because of that, our skin's a bit thicker and we tend to think things through rationally rather than by some old guy going to the top floor of an office building overlooking Temple Square and having a conversation with a carnival huckster who's been dead for over 150 years.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Guest #1Stunner

It only sucks for basketball.  You get no credit for doing well against anyone in the WCC besides 2 teams.

The rest of it is way better than here, competition wise.  Unfortunately, those sports don't drive the bus, as they say.

If the WCC simply had 4 solid, top 75 RPI teams, it would be a whole lot better.

Right now, it only has 3:  BYU, Gonzaga, Saint Mary's.

Didn't say independence was necessarily an option for Wyoming, but I'd say we have others that would be equivalent.

Thing is, Wyoming's mission is education, not an ideo-theological agenda. Because of that, our skin's a bit thicker and we tend to think things through rationally rather than by some old guy going to the top floor of an office building overlooking Temple Square and having a conversation with a carnival huckster who's been dead for over 150 years.

I thought the thicker skin was due to the Laramie winters.   :P

Nice to see a BYU fan finally admitting the wcc sucks. Stunner is still in denial

Oh please... Jack likes to pander to the anti-BYU sentiment on this board. I've never seen a BYU fan act like the WCC is great. The sentiment I see amongst the BYU fanbase is that the WCC is an "adequate" landing spot for BYU. Nobody is in denial on anything. It's just an OK place to park bball and other sports. The fact that the WCC is in the middle of a 2nd consecutive season of having a higher conference RPI than the MWC is good evidence of that. Would the vast majority of BYU fans prefer that bball compete in the MWC? Hell yeah, I know I would. But would I prefer BYU to give up Indy+WCC to place all sports here? Not a chance. It's P5 or bust as far as conference affiliation goes for this fan - as depressing as that may be. IF the BYU decision makers decided that being in a G5 conference is the future for BYU then I would support a decision to return here.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest #1Stunner

Oh please... Jack likes to pander to the anti-BYU sentiment on this board. I've never seen a BYU fan act like the WCC is great. The sentiment I see amongst the BYU fanbase is that the WCC is an "adequate" landing spot for BYU. Nobody is in denial on anything. It's just an OK place to park bball and other sports. The fact that the WCC is in the middle of a 2nd consecutive season of having a higher conference RPI than the MWC is good evidence of that. Would the vast majority of BYU fans prefer that bball compete in the MWC? Hell yeah, I know I would. But would I prefer BYU to give up Indy+WCC to place all sports here? Not a chance. It's P5 or bust as far as conference affiliation goes for this fan - as depressing as that may be. IF the BYU decision makers decided that being in a G5 conference is the future for BYU then I would support a decision to return here.

Preach on brother!

If BYU is "stuck" in the WCC, I'm in favor of making it a better conference.  I wouldn't mind expanding the WCC by 2 schools either.

Denver

Grand Canyon U (only when they buy out their investors and return to being a not for profit)

BYU does the production end of things with their own truck.  Pretty cheap for ESPN to run the games.  If BYU's a fill in, everyone here is a fill in.  

What options do you have that are equivalent?  BYU is an excellent place to get an education, btw.  You should check in to that instead of spouting this and that.

Meh, I really do hate the conference.  I don't think we're above it because we lose to these teams and can't win the conference, but I hate playing and losing to these teams.

Oh please... Jack likes to pander to the anti-BYU sentiment on this board. I've never seen a BYU fan act like the WCC is great. The sentiment I see amongst the BYU fanbase is that the WCC is an "adequate" landing spot for BYU. Nobody is in denial on anything. It's just an OK place to park bball and other sports. The fact that the WCC is in the middle of a 2nd consecutive season of having a higher conference RPI than the MWC is good evidence of that. Would the vast majority of BYU fans prefer that bball compete in the MWC? Hell yeah, I know I would. But would I prefer BYU to give up Indy+WCC to place all sports here? Not a chance. It's P5 or bust as far as conference affiliation goes for this fan - as depressing as that may be. IF WHEN the BYU decision makers ESPN decides that being in a G5 conference is the future for BYU then I would support a decision to return here.

Thats good to know.

Denial about what? WCC is as mediocre as the MWC for basketball. I prefer the larger venues of the MWC (I've said this all along...you were driving your truck and must have missed it).

That said... I've only ever said that the MWC and WCC are 2 to 3 bid leagues most years, so it is a wash.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't drive a truck or live in a trailer. You have made arguments over and over that the WCC is just as good as the mountain west. You have also stated that it would be better for BYU to stay in the WCC for Olympics and put football in the AAC than joining the mountain west for all sports.

image.png

Did you watch the fiesta bowl? The mountain west gives BYU a better chance to play in a big money bowl game than being an independent does. I don't get why. BYU fans seem so content with being independent.

image.png