Warbow

BYU fans

We squandered a huge opportunity.  Being enamored with your new television toys isn't a good excuse for us to not have made the jump.  Like I said, I'll never forgive them until they make it right.

I understand the frustration completely. When I pulled in my driveway in Idaho at 3:30 a.m. after the Nevada debacle (no offense Pack fans), I swore that I was done with the dumpster fire in Provo. After the Miami Beach Brawl I was completely embarrassed for the program and fan base. When I look at next year's home slate it hardly gets one excited to make a 3.5 hour drive each way on Gameday. Yet it seems like BYU athletics (and the equally frustrating Denver Broncos and UM Wolverines) have been the bane of my existence these 50 some odd years, and for me 'til the day I am firmly planted in God's green earth, that will still probably be the case. Things are cyclical and there will be better days ahead. I must admit that I am looking forward to a trip to the Big House in September.

I understand the frustration completely. When I pulled in my driveway in Idaho at 3:30 a.m. after the Nevada debacle (no offense Pack fans), I swore that I was done with the dumpster fire in Provo. After the Miami Beach Brawl I was completely embarrassed for the program and fan base. When I look at next year's home slate it hardly gets one excited to make a 3.5 hour drive each way on Gameday. Yet it seems like BYU athletics (and the equally frustrating Denver Broncos and UM Wolverines) have been the bane of my existence these 50 some odd years, and for me 'til the day I am firmly planted in God's green earth, that will still probably be the case. Things are cyclical and there will be better days ahead. I must admit that I am looking forward to a trip to the Big House in September.

You're a better man than I to make that commute to BYU games.

I only live an 40m away and I'm not getting season tickets this year.  I didn't donate to the CC either.  That's the only way you can make them listen is not give them their freebies until they start earning it.

I think the college buddies are going to want to go to Nebraska, so I think I'll do that.  A different guy I know wants to go to Michigan, I think both trips would be good because theyr'e great places to catch a game against blue blood teams.  Probably just going to do that instead of give money to the program.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

It's pretty obvious at this point that they're going to promote someone like Scalley for DC and maybe Roderick or Erickson for OC.

Lemme ask you this, would you go work at Utah as an offensive coordinator?

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2015/01/29/clancy-pendergast-utah/

here is the first Utah coordinator rumor, sounds like a good pickup, but I'm more worried about the O than the D

I think that would be a good hire, but I kind of feel like it doesn't matter who runs the defense as Utah all that much, as you've inferred.

USC kind of ran what BYU runs, a bend don't break scheme.  Obviously it works better with good athletes.  Kind of seems different from the aggressive scheme Whitt likes.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

I think that would be a good hire, but I kind of feel like it doesn't matter who runs the defense as Utah all that much, as you've inferred.

USC kind of ran what BYU runs, a bend don't break scheme.  Obviously it works better with good athletes.  Kind of seems different from the aggressive scheme Whitt likes.

Regardless of who they hire for DC, they are going to run Kyle's system. Easier for a talented coach to pick up on the system than try to change what has been working for decades. In experienced guy like Pendegast can add to and expand upon the existing defense, but there will be no wholesale changes.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2015/01/29/clancy-pendergast-utah/

here is the first Utah coordinator rumor, sounds like a good pickup, but I'm more worried about the O than the D

Utah Football Fills Coaching Vacancies

Whittingham announces two hires and four promotions.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020215aaa.html

Feb. 2, 2015

SALT LAKE CITY -

Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham announced new offensive and defensive coordinators, a new defensive assistant and four staff promotions at a team meeting this morning.

Dennis Erickson was promoted to assistant head coach, Aaron Roderick and Jim Harding were named co-offensive coordinators, John Pease returns to the Utah staff as the defensive coordinator and Justin Ena was hired to coach the linebackers. Also receiving a new title was Morgan Scalley, who will serve as the special teams' coordinator in addition to coaching the safeties.

The moves leave Utah with one assistant coach vacancy to be filled.

Erickson, in his third season with the Utes, will continue to coach the running backs in his new role as the assistant head coach. Roderick, a member of Whittingham's staff since he took the reins back in 2005, is the co-offensive coordinator for the second time of his Utah career. Roderick also held the title in 2010. Harding enters his second season on the Utah staff and has previous experience as a co-offensive coordinator at Wyoming (2013). Roderick (quarterbacks) and Harding (offensive line) will retain their position coaching duties.

Pease comes out of retirement for his second time to become Utah's defensive coordinator and defensive line coach. He first retired from coaching in 2005 after nearly two decades as an NFL assistant coach (1986-2005) and 15 years as a college assistant coach (1968-82). In 2009, he was lured out of retirement by Whittingham to coach the U. defensive line. After two seasons--during which time he coached current NFL starters Koa Misi and Sealver Siliga--he retired again. Pease, who played for Utah from 1963-64, is now in his fourth stint as a Utah assistant coach. He was a graduate assistant from 1968-69 and coached the linebackers in 1977.

Ena comes to Utah from Weber State, where he was the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach last season. Before that, he spent six years at Southern Utah, the last four as the Thunderbird defensive coordinator. Under Ena, SUU finished second in the Big Sky in total defense and third in scoring defense in 2013. From 2008-09 he was SUU's special teams coordinator. In 2009, the Thunderbirds led the nation in punting and finished ninth in punt return average.

Ena is another former Cougar.  It looks like while BYU hasn't put the players in the NFL as much as other local schools lately, they sure seem to stock the coaching pool.   :)

Pease is old he's 72, but he's been at every Utah practice for the last couple of years.  I think Whitt is throwing a bone to Pease, Whitt will coach the defense and will give up the special teams duty to Scalley.

Harding/AROD - Harding has been a great get.  The OL has improved and he's proven to be a good recruiter.  Not crazy about the promotion of AROD to CO-OC, but AROD is one of the better recruiters on the staff. 

Ena - if your raising a son, it would be wise to teach him to throw a baseball left handed and hope he can end up throwing it +95 mph.  You'll be set for life.  In the same sense if your Polynesian and live anywhere in the Pacific or MT time zone, you should get into coaching.

Guest Dr. Dre

That map just reinforces my stance on eliminating Utah. May wanna take Idaho and Arizona with you.

And BOTH senators in Arkansas are Harvard grads? Wacky

Pease is old he's 72, but he's been at every Utah practice for the last couple of years.  I think Whitt is throwing a bone to Pease, Whitt will coach the defense and will give up the special teams duty to Scalley.

Harding/AROD - Harding has been a great get.  The OL has improved and he's proven to be a good recruiter.  Not crazy about the promotion of AROD to CO-OC, but AROD is one of the better recruiters on the staff. 

Ena - if your raising a son, it would be wise to teach him to throw a baseball left handed and hope he can end up throwing it +95 mph.  You'll be set for life.  In the same sense if your Polynesian and live anywhere in the Pacific or MT time zone, you should get into coaching.

These seem like stopgap hires.

Pease seems like he is someone familiar with the system that can easily fill in at the DC spots for a couple of years while Scalley learns how to be a coordinator working the special teams., and I am sure that the plan is for Morgan to take over in a couple of years.

Harding/ARod seems like either one of these guys emerges as THE guy under the supervision of Erickson, or we get a 9th new hire at OC next year. Seem like safe, familiar hires for Whitt, but nothing to blow your skirt up.

Ena seems like a competent Polynesian coach, I would expect the remaining hire to be a Polynesian as well.

I don't know that having 4 members of the current senate is really something to brag about.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

Kyle Van Noy was on the radio this morning with PK and DJ. He voluntarily echoed the sentiment from Jason Buck that alumni are not involved at all at BYU, and that he has no relationship with Bronco.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150202_020215_Kyle-Van-Noy-WEB.mp3

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

Kyle Van Noy was on the radio this morning with PK and DJ. He voluntarily echoed the sentiment from Jason Buck that alumni are not involved at all at BYU, and that he has no relationship with Bronco.

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150202_020215_Kyle-Van-Noy-WEB.mp3

Yet he was at BYU on commitment weekend and spent some time with the recruits.  Hmm......And he wasn't exactly "echoing" Buck's comments.  KVN was much less accusatory though he was definitely not complimentary.  He was being led down that path by questions from DJ and PK though.  After all, wasn't he on to talk Super Bowl then the questions changed topics?

Yet he was at BYU on commitment weekend and spent some time with the recruits.  Hmm......And he wasn't exactly "echoing" Buck's comments.  KVN was much less accusatory though he was definitely not complimentary.  He was being led down that path by questions from DJ and PK though.

I said "He voluntarily echoed the sentiment from Jason Buck that alumni are not involved at all at BYU",  not that he agreed with everything Buck said, and he certainly did that. He stated he had no relationship with the coaches, nor did he want one,  and that what Buck said about the alumni not being involved was true.

KVN is the one who brought up the Buck comments, not the interviewers. PK and DJ both sounded kind of shocked when he brought it up, and kind of scrambled to ask a couple of follow up questions.

Take it for what you will, I am sure you believe that everything is perfect down south, and all the players that say anything negative are just disgruntled and have an axe to grind. So be it, I hope your program continues down its current perfect trajectory.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan