Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sjsbuff

Access Bowl money

Because it's becoming more relevant, I wanted to bump this string from July 16, but couldn't seem to do it:

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?showtopic=54539

Anyway, I think I might disagree with one of MWCTex's assumptions... 

1.  $5 million comes from the 50/50 split the conference shares with the MW that goes to the Access Bowl.   Per the G5 distribution formula.  $6 million is set a side for the conference that goes to the Access Bowl.  In addition, the CFP give $4 million to conference that has a team in the Access Bowl (this is separate from the G5 cut). That give $10 million total and 50% go to the MW team.

2.  The $15 million per conference is the base ($75 million is given to the G5).  However, rather than splitting up the money equally between all conferences, a distribution formula was created to give the best conference more of a cut with the conference going to the Access Bowl a bonus.

The G5 decided to cap the base distribution at $12 million/per conference. (so that conferences will be penalize for expanding past 12 teams).  The rest of the money is distributed via a formula give the conference ranked #1 more than the conference ranked #4 (just as in the BCS) with a bonus left over for the conference who place their team in the Access Bowl.

Two links (1st in 2013; 2nd in 2014):

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/22045224/group-of-five-league-schools-could-see-1m-per-year-revenue-cap

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/07/16/college-football-playoff-financial-revenues-money-distribution-bill-hancock/12734897/?AID=10709313&PID=6146927&SID=19znu9zzttxuc

As to the "$10MM to the MWC" statement by Tex (assumes an Access Bowl bid and being the top-ranked G5 conference), are we sure that ALL of that money is split split 50-50... or does the Dennis Dodd quote,

"The Mountain West will split that playoff bowl money 50-50 between the conference champ and other conference members if an MWC school qualifies

somehow mean that only the Access Bowl money ("Pool C" = $4MM or $6MM) is split 50-50, whereas the conference-ranking money ("Pool B" is instead split equally?  

I also think Tex may have misquoted the $6MM in his commentary.  That figure goes to a PLAYOFF team (meaning a "final four" team), NOT an Access Bowl bid for a NON-playoff team, which, according to the 2014 USA Today article, seemingly only receives $4MM.

I think some of this stuff is still open to interpretation (indeed, I think Dodd even mis-spoke slightly in his article) and would appreciate others' thoughts here.  Oh, and, perhaps, more current links....

Yes...I misquoted the $$.  $6 million is the estimate that the G5 set aside for the team that goes to the Access Bowl.  The $4 million that I thought was for the Access bowl only is for the top 4 for the playoffs.

Only the Access bowl or Playoff amount of $$ is split 50/50 if the MW team goes.  All other money received by the MW (i.e. #1 conference) is split equally with the rest of the MW.

The question I then have is if a G5 team made the top 4, is there also a G5 spot still for the Access Bowl?  I haven't heard anything to the contrary

Yes...I misquoted the $$.  $6 million is the estimate that the G5 set aside for the team that goes to the Access Bowl.  The $4 million that I thought was for the Access bowl only is for the top 4 for the playoffs.

Only the Access bowl or Playoff amount of $$ is split 50/50 if the MW team goes.  All other money received by the MW (i.e. #1 conference) is split equally with the rest of the MW.

The question I then have is if a G5 team made the top 4, is there also a G5 spot still for the Access Bowl?  I haven't heard anything to the contrary

It might be a good year to e-mail that question to those in charge.  Since they don't have to worry about it this year, they will still have plenty of time to figure that one out before next season.

Can you or SJSBuff lead us thru the Access Bowl buckets of $$$'s & the Calc's that split them up.... correctly?

Gracias Senior...  what part of TX do u live in?

Ok.  Here is a older post I put and the linke regarding the whole G5 distribution.  I'm over in San Antonio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/22045224/group-of-five-league-schools-could-see-1m-per-year-revenue-cap

1. Each conference gets $1 million/team up to 12 million.  CUSA is penalized for expanding past 12 teams. The Sunbelt gets $11 million because they have 11 schools.

2. Each conference will get a performance payout (based on a sliding scale): The highest ranked conference gets around $7 million and the lowest conference gets around $1.5 million. (This portion will grow over the life of the contract)

3. The remaining amount of money (around $6 million) will go to the conference who gets the playoff or access spot.  This amount is going to be fixed for 4 years. $3 million will go the the MW team who gets the Access spot based on the 50/50 split the MW has setup for reaching the Major bowl.

So if the MWC gets the Access Spot and is the highest rated conference of the G5. Then the MW would get a total of $22 million of the $25 million to be distributed equally.  (which would be around 2.2 million)

-----------------------------------------------------

Adding:  This is for the CFP distribution only.   All other bowl distributions/ TV / basketball credits is added on top of that.

Now, if we get a playoff spot, that is separate from the distribution.  Participating gives each team $6 million.  With another $2 million to cover expenses if go to the championship game. 

The question becomes if a G5 is in the top 4, is there still a G5 school for the Access Bowl? 

I read the most current amounts as 4 million to the conference for each team participating in the non-playoff "access" bowl...and 6m for the conference for each playoff bowl team.  

Any MWC participant in an access or playoff bowl will be entitled to a 50% take of that 4m (access) or 6m (playoff).  The rest goes to the conference for distribution. 

The CFP/Access $$ standard G5 distribution..which, if I read it correctly, is capped at 12m per conference max (or 1 mil per team if less than 12 teams), which leaves a remainder of around 15 million of the apporximate 75 million dollar base G5 distribution (I haven't looked to see if any G5 have less than 12).  

That remainder is to be distributed in the agreed upon graduated fashion based on a year ending ranking of the respective G5 conferences (the 'best' G5 getting biggest chunk of around 7m, with the lowest ranked getting an around 1.5m).  Presumably all to be distributed to conference members.     

It also reads that each conference will get 300K x 'number of teams meeting APR requirements for bowl eligibility'...presumably up to 3.6 million for the MWC conference.  Although it's described as 'part of the base payout'...not sure what that really means.

Looks like we were summarizing at the same time Tex.....only I relied more on the 2014 article that describes 4m as the anticipated payout for a participant team in an non-playoff access bowl...not 6m.  I'd think it's probably more accurate in terms of prospective year one payouts.

Looks like we were summarizing at the same time Tex.....only I relied more on the 2014 article that describes 4m as the anticipated payout for a participant team in an non-playoff access bowl...not 6m.  I'd think it's probably more accurate in terms of prospective year one payouts.

$4 million does not apply to the G5 team for the non-playoff (Access Bowl).  We only get the amount set aside per the G5 distrubution that the G5 commissioner decided how to divy up the 27% of money we get to my knowledge.  Which the probably the compromise for the G5 to get an auto-bid to a Major Bowl.

$4 million does not apply to the G5 team for the non-playoff (Access Bowl).  We only get the amount set aside per the G5 distrubution that the G5 commissioner decided how to divy up the 27% of money we get to my knowledge.  Which the probably the compromise for the G5 to get an auto-bid to a Major Bowl.

Oh...I really didn't catch that.  My bad.  

Oh...I really didn't catch that.  My bad.  

Well.  Based on the CFP website for revenue distribution.   http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/revenue-distribution

You maybe right....maybe that where this fixed amount of for the Access Bowl comes from $4 million for participating (even the G5) + $2 million for expenses for a total of $6 million. 

I'm going to shoot over an email to our associate commisioner Brian Tripp and see if I can get any info from the office itself.  He has been kind to response to many emails of mine.

Well. Based on the CFP website for revenue distribution. http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/revenue-distribution

You maybe right....maybe that where this fixed amount of for the Access Bowl comes from $4 million for participating (even the G5) + $2 million for expenses for a total of $6 million.

I'm going to shoot over an email to our associate commisioner Brian Tripp and see if I can get any info from the office itself. He has been kind to response to many emails of mine.

I was just going off the 2014 article...but perhaps that's just speaking to the P5 payouts only. I know the G5 was getting creative, but I didn't realize it affected the bowl payout baseline, just the general distribution model. We'll see more clarity soon I'm sure.

1. Each conference gets $1 million/team up to 12 million.  CUSA is penalized for expanding past 12 teams. The Sunbelt gets $11 million because they have 11 schools.

There's 2 million more reasons not to expand. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

There's 2 million more reasons not to expand. 

That is one of the reason's why there is a limit per conference.   However, if it provides more $$ for TV, digital network or basketball credits, then it will be worth it. 

Well.  Based on the CFP website for revenue distribution.   http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/revenue-distribution

I'm going to shoot over an email to our associate commisioner Brian Tripp and see if I can get any info from the office itself.  He has been kind to response to many emails of mine.

Ok...Mr. Tripp didn't know but directed me to the USA today article at the top of the OP. But, the $4 million from the CFP revenue distribution is separate from the contract and base distribution.   

Since the G5 decided to keep a performance base distribution that amount will be added on top of the revenue from the CFP.  So here is the stab at this.

With info from the CFP website, USA today and CBS sports (all within this thread) here is the breakdown.

G5 Access Bowl from CFP = $4 million (with an additional $2 million for expenses per the CFP website) [$6 million total]

G5 Access Bowl reward from G5 Group = $6 million

Total for the MW conference if go to Access bowl = $12 million.  

50/50 split for the MW team = $6 million with $6 million spread with the other 11 teams [$545,000/school].

G5 distribution of the 27%.

Estimated this year at $86 million.

Base: $58 million: $1 million/school up to $12 million per conference (AAC and Sunbelt have 11 schools and therfore get $11 million)

Conf. Performance: $22 million [approx $7 million for the 1st conference and $1.5 million for the worst]

Access Bowl: $6 million [to the conference selected for the Access Bowl].

We'll probably know in February what the actual distribution is.

Ok...Mr. Tripp didn't know but directed me to the USA today article at the top of the OP. But, the $4 million from the CFP revenue distribution is separate from the contract and base distribution.   

Since the G5 decided to keep a performance base distribution that amount will be added on top of the revenue from the CFP.  So here is the stab at this.

With info from the CFP website, USA today and CBS sports (all within this thread) here is the breakdown.

G5 Access Bowl from CFP = $4 million (with an additional $2 million for expenses per the CFP website) [$6 million total]

G5 Access Bowl reward from G5 Group = $6 million

Total for the MW conference if go to Access bowl = $12 million.  

50/50 split for the MW team = $6 million with $6 million spread with the other 11 teams [$545,000/school].

G5 distribution of the 27%.

Estimated this year at $86 million.

Base: $58 million: $1 million/school up to $12 million per conference (AAC and Sunbelt have 11 schools and therfore get $11 million)

Conf. Performance: $22 million [approx $7 million for the 1st conference and $1.5 million for the worst]

Access Bowl: $6 million [to the conference selected for the Access Bowl].

We'll probably know in February what the actual distribution is.

So the participating MWC team gets $6 M, but is responsible for its own expenses?

So the participating MWC team gets $6 M, but is responsible for its own expenses?

That is my assumption for the getting the 50% split.

If its not correct then the MWC team gets $5 million + $2 million for expenses from the CFP revenue distribution.

However, this document regarding BSU's deal and the BCS bowl payout, not sure how to interpet it. Paragraph 4 ©.

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2013/01/02/11/28/S3EZp.So.36.pdf