Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

18 minutes ago, REBEL BEAR said:

So Dave Rice might be gone soon or later.

But real problem is UNLV does not have enough money to get top coach. UNLV might be able to pay 1-1.2million but that will not get legit top coach, just ok coach.

It will set for another mediocre coach, and mediocre season continue until some big booters pay 2-3million for new coach.

Mediocre coaching, with our talent level, would be good enough for us to make the NCAA Tournament.

• Like 1

I have been reading this message board since 2008. I just registered, I am CHAOS!!! I have seen CHAOS at UNLV for so long, born and raised here in Las Vegas, I have been a fan since 1969, I was 7 years old when I went to my first UNLV game against Puget Sound at the rotunda. Enough of the background trash. I read what the UNLV posters write and it is funny as heck. The poster REBEL18 who started this thread was correct from the beinning and is probably the most insightful of all the posters from UNLV, HE WAS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING. I see he has talked about Reggie Theus and supported hiring Reggie, he was right, as was Tarkanian, by now UNLV would have been a year in year out NCAA Tournament team. That ship has sailed now! Here is the deal, UNLV is a disgrace!! This Administration is one of the worst in the country. They hire cheap unqualified employees/Administrators and coaches, you get what you pay for! What UNV paid for was what they have now! MELTDOWN CITY. 

RICE was a scrub as a player, he is a scrub as a coach. Reggie was a Superstar at UNLV and a good NBA player, Reggie took two teams to the tournament, NMSU was horrible before he arrived, he flipped things around quickly and went to the NCAA Tournament, If anyone who talks trash about him ever watched him coach a game at NMSU you would know he was fully engaged and passionate. So shut your trap about Theus. By the way he thumped CSUF last night, with a lower level team, Who did CSUF beat this season that plays in the MWC? Look it up, Rice did not beat this team at home with all his 4 and 5 star recruits. ENOUGH SAID!!!

So many UNLV fans on this board were RICE Supporters and are now realizing REBEL 18 was right all along. Your boy RICE is not a coach and has no leadership skills at all. He needs to be fired right now. An assistant will do a better job as they will want to prove themselves. UNLV does not have a chance unless they fire DAVE RICE and hope one of the assistance can INSPIRE and MOTIVATE this talented team. After all Rice uses the word HOPE quite often, just the use of that word shows he does not have one ounce of leadership in him. HOPE is not a strategy, but it is the best strategy when you are lost. 

I am tired of watching this team and the university in a town I was born in get punked by the MWC teams and their fans. Most of the posts from the other MWC team fans are correct, yet many contnue to defend our team and this university. Being a fan of the UNLV Runnin' Rebels has become frustrating. We watch this team implode and continue to degress every season under Rice and wait for the next season to just suffer the same thing. Past performance after 4 years does dictate what the future holds.

I have posted a few times on the Rebel-Net Tarkanian Court only to get some responses from delusional people. I posted that UNLV will be 9-7, 0-3 after Saturday, this was right after we choked vs Fresno State, I also posted that UNLV is toast after the first Conference game and got some sarcasm from some knucklehead who said "after one game you threw in the towel for the season" and stated that I wasn't a fan of UNLV. What a moron he must be and a person who is chomping on crow today. I also stated maybe we should revisit this in March when the proof was in his face. Here we are 0-3 in conference. I don't think we need to wait until March. Obviously that paper jughead doesn't have life experiences and understand anything about leadership or does not spend time doing any analysis on the last 4 years plus. I am a huge UNLV fan and always will be. 

For those who say your not a fan of your team because you scrutinize your team, they are in a fantasy world. Passion from a fan, player or coach how you show you care. I would never attack a player personally as some do on the Rebel message board, That would be going overboard and exceeds passion for your team. 

UNLV is not that good, they are overrated and have underachieving players all due to the lack of leadership from the Head Coach and a lack of fundamentals being taught. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CHAOS said:

I have been reading this message board since 2008. I just registered, I am CHAOS!!! I have seen CHAOS at UNLV for so long, born and raised here in Las Vegas, I have been a fan since 1969, I was 7 years old when I went to my first UNLV game against Puget Sound at the rotunda. Enough of the background trash. I read what the UNLV posters write and it is funny as heck. The poster REBEL18 who started this thread was correct from the beinning and is probably the most insightful of all the posters from UNLV, HE WAS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING. I see he has talked about Reggie Theus and supported hiring Reggie, he was right, as was Tarkanian, by now UNLV would have been a year in year out NCAA Tournament team. That ship has sailed now! Here is the deal, UNLV is a disgrace!! This Administration is one of the worst in the country. They hire cheap unqualified employees/Administrators and coaches, you get what you pay for! What UNV paid for was what they have now! MELTDOWN CITY. 

RICE was a scrub as a player, he is a scrub as a coach. Reggie was a Superstar at UNLV and a good NBA player, Reggie took two teams to the tournament, NMSU was horrible before he arrived, he flipped things around quickly and went to the NCAA Tournament, If anyone who talks trash about him ever watched him coach a game at NMSU you would know he was fully engaged and passionate. So shut your trap about Theus. By the way he thumped CSUF last night, with a lower level team, Who did CSUF beat this season that plays in the MWC? Look it up, Rice did not beat this team at home with all his 4 and 5 star recruits. ENOUGH SAID!!!

So many UNLV fans on this board were RICE Supporters and are now realizing REBEL 18 was right all along. Your boy RICE is not a coach and has no leadership skills at all. He needs to be fired right now. An assistant will do a better job as they will want to prove themselves. UNLV does not have a chance unless they fire DAVE RICE and hope one of the assistance can INSPIRE and MOTIVATE this talented team. After all Rice uses the word HOPE quite often, just the use of that word shows he does not have one ounce of leadership in him. HOPE is not a strategy, but it is the best strategy when you are lost. 

I am tired of watching this team and the university in a town I was born in get punked by the MWC teams and their fans. Most of the posts from the other MWC team fans are correct, yet many contnue to defend our team and this university. Being a fan of the UNLV Runnin' Rebels has become frustrating. We watch this team implode and continue to degress every season under Rice and wait for the next season to just suffer the same thing. Past performance after 4 years does dictate what the future holds.

I have posted a few times on the Rebel-Net Tarkanian Court only to get some responses from delusional people. I posted that UNLV will be 9-7, 0-3 after Saturday, this was right after we choked vs Fresno State, I also posted that UNLV is toast after the first Conference game and got some sarcasm from some knucklehead who said "after one game you threw in the towel for the season" and stated that I wasn't a fan of UNLV. What a moron he must be and a person who is chomping on crow today. I also stated maybe we should revisit this in March when the proof was in his face. Here we are 0-3 in conference. I don't think we need to wait until March. Obviously that paper jughead doesn't have life experiences and understand anything about leadership or does not spend time doing any analysis on the last 4 years plus. I am a huge UNLV fan and always will be. 

For those who say your not a fan of your team because you scrutinize your team, they are in a fantasy world. Passion from a fan, player or coach how you show you care. I would never attack a player personally as some do on the Rebel message board, That would be going overboard and exceeds passion for your team. 

UNLV is not that good, they are overrated and have underachieving players all due to the lack of leadership from the Head Coach and a lack of fundamentals being taught. 

Welcome.

Good post other than the Theus stuff. He was a great UNLV player and will always be a Rebel.

Reggie Theus is never going to be our coach. For many reasons.

He wasn't even at New Mexico State long enough to build anything worth credit. Also saying New Mexico State was horrible before he came is just dumb. Sure they had some bad seasons in Lou Henson's last few years, but that is a strong basketball program with history.

RT is also doing worse than his predecessor at CSUN. Add injury to insult they just concluded an investigation that resulted with "Serious violations" under Theus in only his 3rd season there.

Love Theus the Rebel. Was refreshing to see him speak at Tarks memorial, but let that shit go. The guy isn't cut out for UNLV head coach and nobody wants another Rice situation.

• Like 2

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

That most Rebel fans are ignorant and living in La La land is not a secret, to support this loser for 5 seasons and not seeing the obvious it shows a lack of logical thinking. The biggest disgrace is the Rebel-Net and its moderators, they should apologize to all of us for the way they treated supporters that were right all along but I don't expect that from bunch of people without any class. I said it from the very first day that Rice should never been hired as HC, presented with two choices Rice or Theus the better candidate was passed over and exposed to ugly smear campaign, way to treat one of the greatest Rebels of the past, shame on all of you. Dave Rice in the end will be done by his own biggest supporters just as I predicted last year, 5 years late but long overdue.

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm hearing the Regents have to approve Dave's termination and unless he resigns, he'll probably be coaching until the end of the season. 

Is this true?  

And this is the kind of drama that I am hoping Rice will prevent for the sake of the university by making an offer to resign as part of a deal on his buyout.  I have faith that Dave knows what the right thing to do is.

Good luck with the structured buyout thing.

If what I've heard is accurate - and the source was a good one - when SDSU still owed Chuck Long two years on his infamous deal, they offered Chuck's agent a chance to settle the thing in lieu of SDSU perhaps taking the position that Chuck had breached his contract. The contract had a clause which said something about demonstrated competence yet in Chuck's final season, his team gave up more points in one game (the other team was coached by a guy named Rocky), surrendered the most points in a season and had double digit losses for the first time in school history. Sounds pretty incompetent to me. Anyway, Chuck's agent agreed to mediation with the caveat SDSU would pay the mediator's entire fee. I don't know how many times the mediator met with the two sides or how close he might have gotten to a compromise but the settlement attempt fell through. The contract also clearly had a clause which said that if Chuck was fired before expiration and he got another gig, the amount SDSU would owe the guy would be reduced by whatever his income was from the other job. It was later reported in the SD Union-Trib that Chuck was offered the QB coach job at what I recall being a Big Ten school but declined it because his daughter was still attending SDSU. Lol at that. The QB coach job probably paid around 150 grand which over two years would have saved SDSU twice that but what motivation did the man have for accepting? After all, SDSU was compelled to pay him ~$725K per year to do studies that the California State University website suggested SDSU normally paid somebody about $115K per year to do.

Having spoken with Chuck a couple times, I can say you would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy. However, you would also be hard pressed to find a worse head coach. Sounds an awful lot like Dave Rice to me.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, RebelTexan said:

And this is the kind of drama that I am hoping Rice will prevent for the sake of the university by making an offer to resign as part of a deal on his buyout.  I have faith that Dave knows what the right thing to do is.

Is it true about the Regents?  

If so, someone needs to have a heart to heart talk with Dave.  It is admirable to refuse to quit anything, but only to a point.  

You guys may have to picket his house. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Is it true about the Regents?  

If so, someone needs to have a heart to heart talk with Dave.  It is admirable to refuse to quit anything, but only to a point.  

You guys may have to picket his house. 

Not sure about the regents.  Hopefully, somebody in the know chimes in.  But if there is a resignation, its all moot.  Hand the steering wheel over to one of the assts, Dave, please.

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Dave Rice IS NOT resigning.  That would be absolutely dumb on his part.  He would be turning down $1 million.

Not if it is a negotiated resignation. Dave doesn't have to lose a penny.  It happens with coaches, CEO's, and damn near any job where a contract is involved.  It just requires agreement on both sides. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

The fact that you think Livengood did a good job here tells me you have no idea what has and currently is happening in the athletic department. The financial mess we have been in is in large part because of his decisions. 

I'm not saying TKM is the greatest AD in the world but she is a vast improvement over every AD we've had since Weaver. 

TKM is incompetent. There's no success under her watch, none. Now I didn't say Livengood did a good job, I said he was not great, there were some success under him with our sports. TKM is vastly incompetent in her current position and has made stupid financial decisions, Not to mention none of the main sports are vastly improving under her watch, none. It's a disaster.

2 hours ago, CHAOS said:

RebelRobert returns.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TK_05 said:

On a plane back to America. Been away from the world for a few weeks. What the +++++ has happened to unlv basketball? Deer gawd.... I imagine the Dave Rice prophetisers have finally flipped? 

God willing the legendary super hero rice will be removed from the Mack this Monday.  By force if necessary...

In Living Color- The Adventures of Handi-Man

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Not if it is a negotiated resignation. Dave doesn't have to lose a penny.  It happens with coaches, CEO's, and damn near any job where a contract is involved.  It just requires agreement on both sides. 

Exactly.  See Bobby Hauck last year.

• Like 1