Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

this is just so incredibly depressing from a fan's point of view. the fact that this has been allowed to continue with the talent available to unlv is just sad. i really will have to work hard to get my enthusiasm up for next year, because no matter who will be here, it is still the same coach. i wish i could talk myself into feeling good about it, and i have been trying, but even though the returning members of the team will be better, i'm afraid it will not be enough to counter the subpar coaching that's been displayed, especially in the second half of almost every game. i don't know what will magically make rice more effective, i really do wish there was something but i'm just not terribly optimistic... and i hate that... i WANT to be excited, i WANT to look forward to going to the games, even whatever away games i might plan on. which at this point will probably only be in tucson (at least i would get to hang out with my son in phoenix).. i WANT to go to maui for thanksgiving, and might end up going anyway, i would just like to have a little optimism for the trip, and i'm just not sure i can muster it up at this point. but the bright side is that at least i would be in maui, so we'll see.

ok there's my rant. sad...

You would make a perfect Charger fan. In fact, consider yourself an honorary Charger fan. I feel your pain.

• Like 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

i think tina fully intended to cut him loose and get howland in here, and the cbi would have gotten in the way. her mistake was that she said something about 'a meeting with dave on monday'. this gave his supporters time to threaten to pull their support. and the rest is history. if she hadn't verbally implied that they were going to go in a different direction, i think there would have been a new coach at unlv...

Tina never mentioned the meeting. This lunacy has to Stop. The meeting is an aannual meeting scheduled in advance each year after the end of the season. Once we lost In the mwct and rejected the other post bids, the meeting was set in stone. The press knows that this meeting takes place, it does not have to be announced. They asked her about it and she simply said yes we are having that meeting On Monday.

You have to be smarter than to buy into the Rice lovers false narratives. What was she supposed to do, deny the meeting that everyone knew was taking place, was actually going to take place?

You can't be serious.

Rice has a BIG OOC win every year, followed by guys like you saying how much "progress" he's making, followed by yet another mediocre year in what is a mediocre conference. Will another lousy MWC regular season followed by lucking out and winning the MWC tournament on his own court and then being one and done in the dance actually = satisfactory "progress" in your eyes?

My how the bar for success at UNLV has diminished.

Of course, as the other Rebel mentioned, this Aztec thinks Rice already achieved the nadir of the UNLV program by losing at home to Boise on a night when the CITY of Las Vegas honored Tarkanian by shutting off the lights along the Strip. What a monumental embarrassment THAT was.

EDIT: To be fair, i didn't see the original comment that was being talked about, and I didn't have the context to make sense of the post. My bad.  

Of course I wouldnt be happy with that. That would be ridiculous. 

Tina never mentioned the meeting. This lunacy has to Stop. The meeting is an aannual meeting scheduled in advance each year after the end of the season. Once we lost In the mwct and rejected the other post bids, the meeting was set in stone. The press knows that this meeting takes place, it does not have to be announced. They asked her about it and she simply said yes we are having that meeting On Monday.

You have to be smarter than to buy into the Rice lovers false narratives. What was she supposed to do, deny the meeting that everyone knew was taking place, was actually going to take place?

i'm sorry, but i HEARD tina say that she would sit down with dave and discuss whether he would have a future at unlv the following monday. i am well aware that they have an annual meeting but when she was asked by the press about whether rice would be the coach next year, she did not say 'yes, he is our coach, he will be here next year' she said they would sit down at their meeting on monday and discuss his coaching future at unlv for next year... that coupled with her not allowing dave to have his team participate in the cbi is what first led to the widespread speculation that he was out... and as gully said, there was MUCH more to it (not being allowed to play in the cbi) than an arena not being available. and that's not even counting the howland rumors. if there was nothing to it, then i guess grg was just making shyt up, too.  i think we were a lot closer to having a new coach than any of us knows (and btw, i heard that from a very good source, one that has proven to be accurate on several other things.)

and btw, i am not a rice lover. i'm actually not even a hater, i don't give a rat's ass about who the coach is, but there is no reason for this program to have deteriorated like it has the last few years. if rice can get it done, great, then i'm happy he's the coach. and nobody expects the rebels to be in the final 4 next year, but it can't continue this downward trend. simple as that.

and don't call me a liar again, ok? or stupid. i am neither.

this is just so incredibly depressing from a fan's point of view. the fact that this has been allowed to continue with the talent available to unlv is just sad. i really will have to work hard to get my enthusiasm up for next year, because no matter who will be here, it is still the same coach. i wish i could talk myself into feeling good about it, and i have been trying, but even though the returning members of the team will be better, i'm afraid it will not be enough to counter the subpar coaching that's been displayed, especially in the second half of almost every game. i don't know what will magically make rice more effective, i really do wish there was something but i'm just not terribly optimistic... and i hate that... i WANT to be excited, i WANT to look forward to going to the games, even whatever away games i might plan on. which at this point will probably only be in tucson (at least i would get to hang out with my son in phoenix).. i WANT to go to maui for thanksgiving, and might end up going anyway, i would just like to have a little optimism for the trip, and i'm just not sure i can muster it up at this point. but the bright side is that at least i would be in maui, so we'll see.

Just be excited for our new coach in 2016-17.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

How do you know it wasn't a calculated move on her part to give the ricejobs time to come to his aid?

The fact that TKM refused to extent Rice a year ago until he almost bailed to USF.

i think tina fully intended to cut him loose and get howland in here, and the cbi would have gotten in the way. her mistake was that she said something about 'a meeting with dave on monday'. this gave his supporters time to threaten to pull their support. and the rest is history. if she hadn't verbally implied that they were going to go in a different direction, i think there would have been a new coach at unlv...

I think the supporters would have found out regardless if TKM announced it. Remember, Bern first reported it.

That would be my concern if I were a vegas fan.

If he wins a game or two in the NIT his supporters will say the program has turned the corner and firing him would result in transfers and the loss of recruits. They will keep him out of fear things will get worse if he's fired.

Rice won't win a postseason game. Those are reserved for good coaches. A 1 or 2 seed in the NIT means you get a mid-major, whose teams are very under the radar and sometimes have strong coaches.

Good post. Agree with everything.

I went to the Arizona and ASU games the past 2 years. Will probably go to Tucson again this year.

Went to Brooklyn this past season. I'd love to go to Maui, but not sure if I want to make that trip during Thanksgiving and UNLV probably getting stomped.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Good post. Agree with everything.

I went to the Arizona and ASU games the past 2 years. Will probably go to Tucson again this year.

Went to Brooklyn this past season. I'd love to go to Maui, but not sure if I want to make that trip during Thanksgiving and UNLV probably getting stomped.

You don't even think they could beat St. John's next year?

You don't even think they could beat St. John's next year?

Maybe, but 1-2 isn't acceptable by any means.

Maybe, but 1-2 isn't acceptable by any means.

Give me a break.  St. John's will be awful next year.  They will likely lose their entire seven man rotation.  You don't think UNLV can beat a first-time head coach who has to literally field a new team?

Give me a break.  St. John's will be awful next year.  They will likely lose their entire seven man rotation.  You don't think UNLV can beat a first-time head coach who has to literally field a new team?

Oh we could. But will we even run into St. Johns?

Think they'll lose to Chaminade? Hell, we could even lose to them as we lose to them pre-season. 

I think the UNLV players can beat the St. John's players, but I'm not sure I've seen a coaching matchup yet where Dave Rice had the advantage. I'm not sure that will change against Chris Mullin.

Chris Mullin has never coached a game.  If you have no confidence in UNLV winning that game, then you're pathetic.

Chris Mullin has never coached a game. If you have no confidence in UNLV winning that game, then you're pathetic.

Let's see who St. John's suits up for this one. I think UNLV would be favored, but they have lost plenty of games where they were the favorite. As far as coaching, I suspect that it is likely that Mullin will be a better coach than Rice when the two are judged at the end of their careers.

Let's see who St. John's suits up for this one. I think UNLV would be favored, but they have lost plenty of games where they were the favorite. As far as coaching, I suspect that it is likely that Mullin will be a better coach than Rice when the two are judged at the end of their careers.

We're talking about next year.  How could you expect UNLV to lose to a team that loses their top seven players and has not recruited good players to replace them?  UNLV would be a double digit favorite on a neutral court.