Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

Why is it about recruits?

It's about wins.

If anything, I'd rather win 21 games with 1 star guys than 5 star guys. Am I the only one that appreciates good coaching and good basketball on here?

1 star recruits will NEVER get you to an elite level.

aaaaaaannnnnddddd as usual you completely miss the point but you'e nothing more than a troll so that's not surprising. Coaching is more than recruiting. Rice's 4 and 5 star guys aren't even getting us to a marginally good level so what does that say? 

The point was he like most normal fans don't care about who signs as long as they deliver, yes it's great to win headlines while SDSU raises another banner. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Why is it about recruits?

It's about wins.

If anything, I'd rather win 21 games with 1 star guys than 5 star guys. Am I the only one that appreciates good coaching and good basketball on here?

You must have been thrilled with the Bayno, Spoonhour, Lon years.

Dude Lon won 3 games in the NCAA Tournament and was one hot shooting freshman away from an Elite 8, I was there in St Louis and I still believe if there were 2 minutes left in that game we win it. 

Bayno was a joke, but Spoon did the best he could given the circumstances. 

You want to bash Lon yet Rice hasn't made one NCAA Tournament without one of Lon's players. 

You guys want to limit the program to just 1-2* star recruits and win 20 games.

You conveniently forget that it was Lon's last game with UNLV where the program was laughed off the court versus Illnois, Barkley coined Lon's team the walkin' rebels. Hilarious to see the pining for those results.

You guys want to limit the program to just 1-2* star recruits and win 20 games.

You conveniently forget that it was Lon's last game with UNLV where the program was laughed off the court versus Illnois, Barkley coined Lon's team the walkin' rebels. Hilarious to see the pining for those results.

Dude you are missing the point, nobody said they wanted to see 1 and 2 star recruits, what they said was they would rather win with a bunch of nobodies then lose with 5 star guys. Yes the recruits are nice but the number of stars a guy has next to his name matter not when the team goes 18-15. 

Rice can recruit. If he can get better as a coach we have a chance to be really good. I think he has more potential than a guy who can coach but cant recruit. I guess we'll see this year if any of that experience pays off. If not, we'll have a new coach. so its kind of a win/win. 

Rice can recruit. If he can get better as a coach we have a chance to be really good. I think he has more potential than a guy who can coach but cant recruit. I guess we'll see this year if any of that experience pays off. If not, we'll have a new coach. so its kind of a win/win.

Agreed.

Very few cbb programs are at an ELITE level.

You'd be surprised to see what a great coach could do.

Oh wait, why am I replying to you? I forgot you never listen.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

I wasn't around for Bayno, but AFAIK he's just a slightly better version of Rice.

I love both Spoonhour and Lon (even though I don't remember much form the Spoon/pre-S16 Lon days). Both coaches (or at least LK goes in this category, and I take based on his past success, Charlie Spoonhour seems to fit in this category as well).

Ppl who favor losing with 5 star kids don't like basketball and don't understand nor appreciate the team concept. Go watch AAU shit then and watch all these lazy bums go 1 on 1 and play no defense.

No I get the point. The Lon years were great for a certain segment of the fanbase and were content with the results lon was producing. Even if he didn't put in any effort to maximize the program's potential.

Are you really this braindead?

The point is that winning is better than recruiting. If you had to choose one, most reasonable people would choose winning. What is so difficult about this concept? Did you hit your head?

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Also, another thing.

Why do ppl have a problem with averaging 55ppg? What is wrong with being the "Walkin' Rebels" if it works? It's time to de-attach itself from the Tark years.

The point is that winning is better than recruiting. If you had to choose one, most reasonable people would choose winning. What is so difficult about this concept? Did you hit your head?

I think he is just contrarian because he's not a dope, I don't agree with him but I know he's no troll and he's not dumb. 

As far as his comment about not maximizing the school's potential I absolutely agree with him. There is no reason UNLV couldn't get the caliber of players Oklahoma is now, it's about effort. To be fair we didn't have the Mendenhall Center but he was a lazy recruiter... (and he probably still is at Oklahoma except the fact that it's a Big 12 school probably helps in his lazy recruiting. Beas Hamga, Emanuel Adeife and his crony Cory Bradley, even Rene Rougeau was a freaking walk on. The list could go on, he was lazy no way around it but the guy absolutely can coach and it's been proven at evert stop except the NBA. 

Really? Intelligence smack from someone with an IQ of a rock?

larrydavid.gif

Very few cbb programs are at an ELITE level.

You'd be surprised to see what a great coach could do.

Oh wait, why am I replying to you? I forgot you never listen.

You will never get to an elite level without elite talent.  Your approach is stupid.

You will never get to an elite level without elite talent.  Your approach is stupid.

You will never get to an elite level with elite recruits without good coaching.

We've seen elite talent wearing UNLV uniforms.

The sideline unfortunately hasn't produced. Nor gave us any reason to think it can produce.

• Like 1

All is well, For Rice is gone.