Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

that would be a disaster, imo. worst case scenario.

if UNLV is 2-6 at the halfway mark..........the season is toast so what does it matter if it's Rice or some interim assistant that finishes the last 9 games & MWCT - guess it's a flip of the coin, but unless Rice volunteers to step down, I think he rides it out to the end..............there's no major violations or issues that call for immediate removal and a 2-6 record at the halfway point would tell Rice that he's done after the season.

I don't want to see UNLV have to go thru the interim coaching thing like the Grg, Landa, and whoever else coached that one season when it was a "coach of the week" type of end to the season.

Let Rice go out and be professional about it for all concerned :(

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

if UNLV is 2-6 at the halfway mark..........the season is toast so what does it matter if it's Rice or some interim assistant that finishes the last 9 games & MWCT - guess it's a flip of the coin, but unless Rice volunteers to step down, I think he rides it out to the end..............there's no major violations or issues that call for immediate removal and a 2-6 record at the halfway point would tell Rice that he's done after the season.

I don't want to see UNLV have to go thru the interim coaching thing like the Grg, Landa, and whoever else coached that one season when it was a "coach of the week" type of end to the season.

Let Rice go out and be professional about it for all concerned :(

Sometimes it is best for everyone.  Fans are relieved and know that there is a future for the program so they will still go out and support the kids and the coaches left.  Like Ernie said, attendance numbers becomes an issue for the AD department.  Fans can also start to get really nasty sometimes and that isn't good for anyone.  The administration can start putting out feelers and everyone knows the position is open.  I think this would be good for UNLV so that they can get the money put together and try to get a consensus with boosters.  I know that boosters shouldn't have a lot of influence, but they do and that is reality.  A coach hanging around can be a distraction for the players as well.  They might play better without Rice there.  If they are 2-6 what does it hurt to try a new voice?  Depending on how bad it gets, it could be better for Rice as well.  If they continue to lose, the scrutiny will get worse and then you almost start to feel bad for a guy like him.  He isn't the best in the media and it just might be easier to let him go.  

I don't think you need a scandal or violation to let him go.  He knew he had to perform this season and if he is 2-6 at the halfway mark, then he hasn't done his job.  

10 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Sometimes it is best for everyone.  Fans are relieved and know that there is a future for the program so they will still go out and support the kids and the coaches left.  Like Ernie said, attendance numbers becomes an issue for the AD department.  Fans can also start to get really nasty sometimes and that isn't good for anyone.  The administration can start putting out feelers and everyone knows the position is open.  I think this would be good for UNLV so that they can get the money put together and try to get a consensus with boosters.  I know that boosters shouldn't have a lot of influence, but they do and that is reality.  A coach hanging around can be a distraction for the players as well.  They might play better without Rice there.  If they are 2-6 what does it hurt to try a new voice?  Depending on how bad it gets, it could be better for Rice as well.  If they continue to lose, the scrutiny will get worse and then you almost start to feel bad for a guy like him.  He isn't the best in the media and it just might be easier to let him go.  

I don't think you need a scandal or violation to let him go.  He knew he had to perform this season and if he is 2-6 at the halfway mark, then he hasn't done his job.  

Exactly, it's impossible for him to be able to turn things around knowing there is basically a surety that he's done at the end of the year. Let's just move beyond this and focus on the future. Dave Rice is just a distraction at this point.

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

TKM and UNLV can notify the big boosters in private - would be prudent to keep them in the loop and also let them know changes are pending...........heck, perhaps they already know what's going down...................but the average message board key board pounder doesn't need to know or be in the loop.

As I see it the only way Rice doesn't finish the season is if he steps aside for the better of the program.............and if he does that, there;s going to be speculation that he was terminated mid-season...............which is why I don't think TKM has made any overture's to Rice as to his status as of January 10 and 3 games into the MWC season..............I think TKM stays quiet at last to the halfway point of MWC play and if things are bad, then we might hear something, if things are good the silence will continue until the season verdict is known.

The month of January will tell a lot:

• 01/12/16    vs. New Mexico
  • 01/16/16    vs. Air Force
  • 01/19/16    at Utah State
  • 01/23/16    at Nevada, Reno
  • 01/27/16    vs. Boise State
  • 01/30/16    vs. San Diego State

I see one (what should be a sure) win vs Air Force - UNLV at worst could be 1-5 the rest of January, which would put them at 1-8 & that would probably signal the end of the Rice era at seasons end. Of the next 4 games, the home game vs New Mexico is a must win and the road game at Nevada loom large...........if UNLV goes into Reno and gets beat like a drum, that won't sit well with the power brokers.

Then if UNLV does get it's crap together there's a outside chance UNLV could make a 6-0 run and then the speculation on will Rice stay or go will reach a frenzy level.

Don't see any news from TKM or UNLV until we see how January ends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HollyWood- said:

That writing style isn't even close to R18, but it does in fact closely resemble RR's style. It's a shame when you guys try to lump R18 with plebs like RR and LACASEY when he is clearly multiple tiers above both of them. 

i almost asked if he went to rancho...

• Like 2

Just now, HollyWood- said:

I have multiple facebook posts saying the same thing, but there all from grads like myself with no credibility that I know of..

I dont have facebook but I've read it on 2 different places and got a group text before I even read the other 2.

Think it has wings unless everyone is speculating from the same guy....which is totally plausible. lol

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Some day when you are older than I would guess, 25 and have a family the realities of the real world will set in. Nothing about the future is certain except that a family is depending upon him to provide for their future. You expectations of his future job opportunities don't provide food a roof over a head or pay for educations for his kids or his and his wife's retirements.

You can't be this naïve or maybe you just can be?  I've read some of your recent posts.

This isn't about your butthurt message board bravado it's about the realities of life. 

Lol...when I turn 25.  I wish I was that young again.

I know you guys will hate me and my school (USU) for this, but this thread had a shelf life.  It was doomed from the beginning.  Coaches have a shelf-life, hate for USU does not.  This thread is dead.  Long live the "Why is Utah State so hated on here" thread.  Amen.