Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

The bottom line is you had a great coach in Kruger and were too phucking stupid to see it.  And he was the best hire you've made since Tark.   Look at what he's done in Norman and compare that to the former Rebel you replaced him with. F'n stroke of genius right there.  

Later, you had a chance to get rid of him and replace him with Howland and you whiffed. Instead, young gave Rice an extension and a raise. Another dumb F'n move.  

Has the admin in vegas suddenly grown a brain and will get it right this time?  History suggests otherwise. You may not even be smart enough to dump Rice.  

If you dump him you may end up with Reggie. Not long ago he was the dream coach for a lot of guys who now don't want him, because, you know, Vegas is elite.  You deserve a proven guy. A coach would be a fool to not want to coach at that  jewel in the desert.  

A good coach can win anywhere.  Even in Wichita Kansas, Spokane, WA, Dayton Ohio, etc.  Yeah it's nice to drive 20 minutes to see the best HS players in the country play AAU ball.  But a lot of people like to go to Vegas for a weekend but wouldn't want  to live there or rakse their kids there. Sin City can be fun but it also has its negative connotations.  

Vegas is a dream job for an up and comer. You could be the best stepping stone program in the country.  You could make a sweet 16 run every very few years, but you're no more likely to bring back the glory days than they are in Nebraska.  

A big name coach can do much better than Vegas.  And one could argue that SDSU has more upside than  you do. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The bottom line is you had a great coach in Kruger and were too phucking stupid to see it.  And he was the best hire you've made since Tark.   Look at what he's done in Norman and compare that to the former Rebel you replaced him with. F'n stroke of genius right there.  

Later, you had a chance to get rid of him and replace him with Howland and you whiffed. Instead, young gave Rice an extension and a raise. Another dumb F'n move.  

Has the admin in vegas suddenly grown a brain and will get it right this time?  History suggests otherwise. You may not even be smart enough to dump Rice.  

If you dump him you may end up with Reggie. Not long ago he was the dream coach for a lot of guys who now don't want him, because, you know, Vegas is elite.  You deserve a proven guy. A coach would be a fool to not want to coach at that  jewel in the desert.  

A good coach can win anywhere.  Even in Wichita Kansas, Spokane, WA, Dayton Ohio, etc.  Yeah it's nice to drive 20 minutes to see the best HS players in the country play AAU ball.  But a lot of people like to go to Vegas for a weekend but wouldn't want  to live there or raise their kids there. Sin City can be fun but it also has its negative connotations.  

Vegas is a dream job for an up and comer. You could be the best stepping stone program in the country.  You could make a sweet 16 run every very few years, but you're no more likely to bring back the glory days than they are in Nebraska.  

A big name coach can do much better than Vegas.  And one could argue that SDSU has more upside than  you do. 

Barack Obama

A good coach can win anywhere.  Even in Wichita Kansas, Spokane, WA, Dayton Ohio, etc.  Yeah it's nice to drive 20 minutes to see the best HS players in the country play AAU ball.  But a lot of people like to go to Vegas for a weekend but wouldn't want  to live there or rakse their kids there. Sin City can be fun but it also has its negative connotations.  

Please elaborate.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Still bringing up Kruger is pointless. You're getting nowhere. We weren't paying 3 mill to keep Kruger. We just weren't.

Howland was a whiff. But break down details and 5th year wasn't that crazy. 5 years is enough for guys like PH to jump off. It allows everyone to be on same page.

Stupid, yes.

Boosters and fans won't have Rice. He's done.

Reggie isn't coming here.

A good coach can win anywhere. Vegas only helps. Buy a nice mill $ house and enroll at Gorman and you'll be living your Disney dream in Vegas.

What job is available to Archie Miller that will be better than UNLV this offseason? Is he gonna wait? Maybe. Nobody knows, but you're a fool to think we aren't a top 30 coaching job.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

6 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:
2 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Damn, IM sold, Mr Reno!

Facts are facts, Mr Vegas.  SD is a very nice town.  Vegas is not.  It ranks down there with Clevland on those "best & worst places to live" articles we see every so often.   If you doubt that, google it.

Barack Obama

24 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The bottom line is you had a great coach in Kruger and were too phucking stupid to see it.  And he was the best hire you've made since Tark.   Look at what he's done in Norman and compare that to the former Rebel you replaced him with. F'n stroke of genius right there.  . 

bottom line is, kruger was not putting in the effort at unlv that he currently is at oklahoma. otherwise the REBS would have been the #2 team in the country, and we would have found a way to pony up the 2.8 mill he got. kruger loves it here and comes back often. he did a great job in rebuilding the rebs, and then just basically stopped, for whatever reason. i'm glad to see him doing well, he did a lot for us, i just wish he'd kept going.

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Facts are facts, Mr Vegas.  SD is a very nice town.  Vegas is not.  It ranks down there with Clevland on those "best & worst places to live" articles we see every so often.   If you doubt that, google it.

Hmm, I checked one of those "worst places to live" articles and Vegas is nowhere to be found. But look what city is at #11.

http://www.destinationtips.com/destinations/12-of-the-worst-places-to-live-in-the-us/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

bottom line is, kruger was not putting in the effort at unlv that he currently is at oklahoma. otherwise the REBS would have been the #2 team in the country, and we would have found a way to pony up the 2.8 mill he got. kruger loves it here and comes back often. he did a great job in rebuilding the rebs, and then just basically stopped, for whatever reason. i'm glad to see him doing well, he did a lot for us, i just wish he'd kept going.

Or maybe he now has the means to hire top notch assts who can recruit well. Even if Vegas can scrape up the cash to hire a known HC, can they pay for good assts too?  You don't have P5 money even if booster help with the HC. 

And how can you possibly know what kind of effort Kruger is putting in now compared to what he did at Vegas? All you can do is look at the results and make an assumption.  

Barack Obama

The irony of a trailer-park dwelling inbred from a place no one wants calling ANYWHERE a bad place to live.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Or maybe he now has the means to hire top notch assts who can recruit well. Even if Vegas can scrape up the cash to hire a known HC, can they pay for good assts too?  You don't have P5 money even if booster help with the HC. 

And how can you possibly know what kind of effort Kruger is putting in now compared to what he did at Vegas? All you can do is look at the results and make an assumption.  

so you're saying he coaches better at oklahoma because of the money? ok then. i guess he would have cranked it up a notch and coached like he is now while he was at vegas if we had matched his $$$. never mind the plateau he had reached here at that time...would i like to have him back with the way he is coaching now? of course, who wouldn't..

I've come to the conclusion that Kruger wasn't worth $2.8 million in this region. It didn't make sense to give a coach big money when they had reached his ceiling. But who knows, maybe recruiting would have picked up, but hindsight is 20/20.

Nevertheless, with Fertita money, we can afford a big time coach or at least get a hot shot up and comer.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

13 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

so you're saying he coaches better at oklahoma because of the money? ok then. i guess he would have cranked it up a notch and coached like he is now while he was at vegas if we had matched his $$$. never mind the plateau he had reached here at that time...would i like to have him back with the way he is coaching now? of course, who wouldn't..

Did I say he's coaching better?  I'd guess he's the same coach he always was.  As mentioned, he took K St to an E8. He took you to a swt 16. He has okie ranked 3rd.  But he apparently wasn't good enough to be a Vegas coach.  Go figure. 

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree Archie would be a home run hire.  But if he wants to leave Dayton, he can go to a school that doesn't have to scrounge up anything. He can do something similar to what Shaka Smart did.  Go somewhere where getting the money to hire him isn't a problem  and if he proves himself worthy, getting the money to keep him won't be a problem either. And the big boys can pay assts well. Can Vegas? 

The reality is you hired a BYU asst and needed Feritta money to get rid of a FCS coach so you could hire a high school coach.  

Also, the fact that you really haven't been much since Tark and your last coach went from Vegas to Norman, Oklahoma and has taken his new team to the top tier of college BB, may have some coaches thinking Vegas may not have a high ceiling. 

But the potential to hire an up an comer who sees  the potential is definitely there.  You can find a good coach within your budget.  If not, there is always Reggie. 

UNLV just had to correctly show Pitino and wife the classy way to be dropped off at McCarran Airport. Had Carol Harter and Cavanaugh had the slightest motivation to help the program, that would have been easily done and Pitino would be our HC. We were very close, but people tend to forget that Harter and Cavanuagh really decimated our sports programs at that time, they were just there to collect checks and have a nice job title for status. 

Far as Kruger goes, he was let go because the program plateaued under him and some say was in decline. He didn't recruit that well, instead took transfers. Though I wonder if he backed off recruiting at a high level because of the Beas Hamga fiasco. Either way, he just didn't put the time into recruiting, we were losing recruits in our own backyard. That wasn't acceptable and essentially agreed to part ways. 

I do think Archie would be interested in UNLV, it's facilities and name are tops in college basketball. We've been playing in some great regular season tournies lately that other mwc schools and some p5 schools could only dream to be in. If everyone is on the same page, the money will be there for Archie, as it was for Pitino.

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Did I say he's coaching better?  I'd guess he's the same coach he always was.  As mentioned, he took K St to an E8. He took you to a swt 16. He has okie ranked 3rd.  But he apparently wasn't good enough to be a Vegas coach.  Go figure. 

we could play this game all night, but nobody said he wasn't good enough to be a vegas coach. on the contrary. it just would have been nice to see him do here what he is now doing at oklahoma.