Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

13 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You hit the nail of truth here.  Die-hards can send all the emails they want, but it's really just a few big shot's opinions who matter.  

Always was funny on Rebel-Net when the general yahoo's would fire off angry emails !! 

IF you don't have scholarship seats, you really don't have much say and if you want more impact make sure you have bigger $$$ seats and also have bigger general $$$ contributions or advertising agreements.

Some guy firing off emails from his bar stool or den in Seattle is just laughed at

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roughrider said:

The only way to counter influence of big boosters is with the fan base.  It's what finally got us Leon Rice after 3 years of dropping attendance.

At UNLV (with BB) it's all about the season tickets with scholarship donations that mostly fill the lower bowl............walk up and casual (minimal cost) ticket holders are not a huge number.............walk up tickets will probably suffer some if the hiccups continue and if a few upper deck people don't renew their $250 seats that's not going to have much influence.........it's the $3000 and up ticket holders in the lower bowl and their businesses that advertise with UNLV that make the impact.

If not one single person showed up for a game the rest of the year, UNLV still would be 3rd in the MWC in attendance based on the scholarship / RAF ticket holders and advertising trade outs where the money is already in UNLV's hands...............the lower bowl of the T&M is at or above most MWC arena capacities so anyone buying upstairs is bonus $$ on a game per game basis.

The casual attendance has already been on a down trend during the Rice era..........if the trend continues with the big $$ seats then UNLV will really take notice.

And always in consideration is UNLV might be firing a HC who still has a +.650 .700 overall winning percentage.....with no scandal's................UNLV's "out" with Bill Bayno was the Lamar Odom / booster recruiting scandal that overrode Bayno's winning % 

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You're forgetting about Rollie. He too won a NC.  Bayno was the hottest asst in the country when you hired him.  Both were splashy hires.  

Archie Miller was an asst at multiple schools before being hired by Dayton.  Marshall was a HC at a tiny school. Dayton & Wichita found their guy and neither were splashy hires.  

If you guys can come up with the money to hire a 2 million dollar guy, good for you.  But what's going to happen when someone offers him 3?  Or even worse, what happens if you hire Rollie 2.0?  Will the money be there to go after another proven HC who comes with a hefty price tag? 

Wichita is now paying Marshall around 3 million.  If you get an up and comer who wins and keeps the fanbase excited, the money to keep him will follow, assuming he wants to stay. 

Rollie never stood a chance.

Of course Archie was. That's not my point. My point is UNLV shouldn't shoot for another assistant this time. Miller and Marshall worked out really nice, but did they actually expect that??? Look at Rice. He was supposed to be something too. Risky.

It is possible to hire an assistant and they become greats. Yet UNLV has and has swung out every time...just think we need a sure thing hire. That is a very expensive and small list though.

Us not hiring a guy because we're afraid he'll bolt for 3 million elsewhere later is the weakest argument I've seen. Same thing was said for Howland. It's dumb.

If someone else is offering big time money that means UNLV is in a very good state....meaning UNLV might fork out even more to keep that state. Deep runs. Great recruiting. Sold out T&M?

If Wichita can do it...UNLV should be able to. A winning UNLV is a happy UNLV. Winning will put most boosters on the same page.

• Like 2

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

35 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The Rollie situation was doomed once the ink was drying on his contract. The program was way too divisive and toxic at that point that no coach would have survived because of Maxson's war against Tark. 

Ill say this, I'm concerned about how much money can get scrounged up for a HC, there wasn't any on the table for Howland. That being said a scenario of Rice leaving by resigning and in good terms, then once the job is open there will be interested coaches, no doubt. If Archie is one of them, then the boosters will round up the scratch and get close to 3 million or more.

Agree - The coach following Tark was not going to have 100% support from the big $$ boosters because they were at war with the UNLV admin.............plus for Rollie it was a chance for an aging older coach with a decent resume' to land a job in a warm weather location, in a smaller conference and with a proven national power program........no going up against Big East opponents, fewer recruiting wars & should have been way easier to get wins in the Big West as opposed to the Big East.

The post Tark - Rollie - UNLV thing was a mess from the get go

22 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

The Rollie situation was doomed once the ink was drying on his contract. The program was way too divisive and toxic at that point that no coach would have survived because of Maxson's war against Tark. 

Ill say this, I'm concerned about how much money can get scrounged up for a HC, there wasn't any on the table for Howland. That being said a scenario of Rice leaving by resigning and in good terms, then once the job is open there will be interested coaches, no doubt. If Archie is one of them, then the boosters will round up the scratch and get close to 3 million or more.

I agree Archie would be a home run hire.  But if he wants to leave Dayton, he can go to a school that doesn't have to scrounge up anything. He can do something similar to what Shaka Smart did.  Go somewhere where getting the money to hire him isn't a problem  and if he proves himself worthy, getting the money to keep him won't be a problem either. And the big boys can pay assts well. Can Vegas? 

The reality is you hired a BYU asst and needed Feritta money to get rid of a FCS coach so you could hire a high school coach.  

Also, the fact that you really haven't been much since Tark and your last coach went from Vegas to Norman, Oklahoma and has taken his new team to the top tier of college BB, may have some coaches thinking Vegas may not have a high ceiling. 

But the potential to hire an up an comer who sees  the potential is definitely there.  You can find a good coach within your budget.  If not, there is always Reggie. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

36 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Where are your facts on the money not on the table for Howland? I remember you saying this before as well, but it was reported by multiple people about Howland wanting UNLV and some booster willing to make the move.

Bern reported on the Sun saying that the $1.2 mill was there and they wanted Rice gone after the SDSU loss. Even Rebel_Net confirmed the talks started after we got embarassed by Reno in early January.

Archie isn't getting 3 mill tho.

Sean Miller is barely getting 3 mill and is the 6th highest paid coach.

Closer to 2 mill.   2 mill puts you in top 25 pay alongside some very good names and also is enough to make the move convincing.

Could even make it just under 2 mill with a nice bonus incentive for results.

I think it is very possible for a legit name. I mean UNLV was willing to give Pitino over 2 mill 15 years ago.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Rollie never stood a chance.

Of course Archie was. That's not my point. My point is UNLV shouldn't shoot for another assistant this time. Miller and Marshall worked out really nice, but did they actually expect that??? Look at Rice. He was supposed to be something too. Risky.

It is possible to hire an assistant and they become greats. Yet UNLV has and has swung out every time...just think we need a sure thing hire. That is a very expensive and small list though.

Us not hiring a guy because we're afraid he'll bolt for 3 million elsewhere later is the weakest argument I've seen. Same thing was said for Howland. It's dumb.

If someone else is offering big time money that means UNLV is in a very good state....meaning UNLV might fork out even more to keep that state. Deep runs. Great recruiting. Sold out T&M?

If Wichita can do it...UNLV should be able to. A winning UNLV is a happy UNLV. Winning will put most boosters on the same page.

How hard did you try to keep Kruger?  Do you think the next guy will be better than him? 

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree Archie would be a home run hire.  But if he wants to leave Dayton, he can go to a school that doesn't have to scrounge up anything. He can do something similar to what Shaka Smart did.  Go somewhere where getting the money to hire him isn't a problem  and if he proves himself worthy, getting the money to keep him won't be a problem either. And the big boys can pay assts well. Can Vegas? 

The reality is you hired a BYU asst and needed Feritta money to get rid of a FCS coach so you could hire a high school coach.  

Also, the fact that you really haven't been much since Tark and your last coach went from Vegas to Norman, Oklahoma and has taken his new team to the top tier of college BB, may have some coaches thinking Vegas may not have a high ceiling. 

But the potential to hire an up an comer who sees  the potential is definitely there.  You can find a good coach within your budget.  If not, there is always Reggie. 

Has nobody seen our recruiting classes? How many of the coaches in the nation have to travel to Vegas multiple times a year to recruit kids from all over the nation playing here in multiple AAU tourneys.

Gorman.

Findlay prep.

Vegas is HS Basketball. UNLV is Vegas' pro team.

Upcoming assistants are drooling at a chance at UNLV.

Bigger names know the potential. Just need to see the $ to prove it.

How hard did you try to keep Kruger?  Do you think the next guy will be better than him? 

We didn't. See his last 2 years? People wanted more. UNLV wanted a change. Kruger built a solid foundation and assisted UNLV getting one of the best basketball facilities in College Basketball.

Rice was supposed to build off of Kruger. Get UNLV back to the Runnin Rebels. Recruit his ass off.

He's been a fraud outside of his recruiting. Go look at his presser when he was announced UNLV's HC....He's done nothing he's wanted to do.

Someone can most definitely do better than Kruger. Much better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Don't think too many were real concerned when Kruger left..........he wasn't recruiting at the level many thought he should have been ............he had one nice season and was helped because his son Kevin transferred in from AZ St...............and UNLV and boosters weren't going to match the OU offer for a guy recruiting mainly 3 Star and the occasional 4 star rated recruits ..........and his style of offense wasn't what people wanted (up tempo & running) 

7 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

We didn't. See his last 2 years? People wanted more. UNLV wanted a change. Kruger built a solid foundation and assisted UNLV getting one of the best basketball facilities in College Basketball.

Rice was supposed to build off of Kruger. Get UNLV back to the Runnin Rebels. Recruit his ass off.

He's been a fraud outside of his recruiting. Go look at his presser when he was announced UNLV's HC....He's done nothing he's wanted to do.

Someone can most definitely do better than Kruger. Much better.

Bingo 

6 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Has nobody seen our recruiting classes? How many of the coaches in the nation have to travel to Vegas multiple times a year to recruit kids from all over the nation playing here in multiple AAU tourneys.

Gorman.

Findlay prep.

Vegas is HS Basketball. UNLV is Vegas' pro team.

Upcoming assistants are drooling at a chance at UNLV.

Bigger names know the potential. Just need to see the $ to prove it.

Those recruiting classes have gotten you nowhere.  You keep getting worse. 

You had a good coach and he has proven it before Vegas and after Vegas.  He took a team from Manhattan, KS to the E 8.  His current team is ranked 3rd in the nation.  But he wasn't good enough for Vegas. You wanted more and you wanted it now. 

You guys may think you're as attractive as a Playboy Centerfold.  But at some point you're going to have to look in the mirror and see things for what they really are.  

Barack Obama

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Those recruiting classes have gotten you nowhere.  You keep getting worse. 

You had a good coach and he has proven it before Vegas and after Vegas.  He took a team from Manhattan, KS to the E 8.  His current team is ranked 3rd in the nation.  But he wasn't good enough for Vegas. You wanted more and you wanted it now. 

You guys may think you're as attractive as a Playboy Centerfold.  But at some point you're going to have to look in the mirror and see things for what they really are.  

They've gotten nowhere because of................? Fill in the blank.

The point is Vegas can get top 10 players and top 5 recruiting classes.

You're not paying attention. Look at where UNLV was before Kruger. Look at where UNLV is after Kruger.

Not sure where you're getting at. Nobody is gonna say we don't want Kruger. We would all LOVE Kruger right now. At that time we made a mistake clearly.

With Mendenhall, Gorman and Findlay Prep all becoming what they have been. Twitter being a place where fans can bombard recruits.

Kruger would be recruiting better NOW than he ever would have been with the exact same effort.

Go look at UNLV's 11-12 team and tell me Kruger wouldn't make a run in the tourney with that roster. HIS roster.

I am looking in a mirror. I see top 5 recruiting classes. I see Mendenhall Center. I see branding.

You clearly only see Dave Rice and a couple games where Reno beat us.

Plus I think if the money was there, Archie would be smart enough to see the potential.

"I'm here in Dayton O+++++ingHio making deep tourney runs and scrapping hard on the recruiting trail to get fringe top 100 guys."

I doubt he'll say that and then start thinking:

"Man not sure Vegas is that attractive. I mean Mendenhall is a top facility in NCAA Basketball and Dave Rice is getting top 10 guys without showing anything on the court. I dunno if I'll like only having to drive 15 mins to the local gyms to see top players from all over the country playing. I'd rather sit in airports on delays and nights away from my hot wife. Plus I dunno if I want my team to get distracted by Blake Griffin, Russell, Durant, Lebron and Anthony Davis taking up our practice facility and showing my guys work ethic up close. I dunno if I want crowds of 18k watching me working. I also heard about Ed Graney. His agendas are program damaging and it's possible I'll never have a chance!"

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Bingo 

You are funny.  In a delusional sort of way. 

Seriously, I hope you get a home run hire and be pans out.  

I recall all sorts of big names being tossed around after Kruger left. You ended up with Dave Rice.  

If you're such a F'n hottie, why did you jump in the sack with a pimple faced nerd? 

Barack Obama

You are funny.  In a delusional sort of way. 

Seriously, I hope you get a home run hire and be pans out.  

I recall all sorts of big names being tossed around after Kruger left. You ended up with Dave Rice.  

If you're such a F'n hottie why did you jump in the sack with a pimple faced nerd? 

Delusion has nothing to do with the reality you know nothing about - Boosters thought that Kruger had hit his ceiling with UNLV - They & UNLV were no way going to match the $3M Oklahoma tossed at Kruger..........guess they felt the $3M cost wasn't going to be returned w/ Kruger at UNLV and they let him take the OU job.

Maybe you should focus on turning that long time loser of a UNR program around before worrying about UNLV's psychological status & how those that matter view the UNLV program

6 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

They've gotten nowhere because of................? Fill in the blank.

The point is Vegas can get top 10 players and top 5 recruiting classes.

You're not paying attention. Look at where UNLV was before Kruger. Look at where UNLV is after Kruger.

Not sure where you're getting at. Nobody is gonna say we don't want Kruger. We would all LOVE Kruger right now. At that time we made a mistake clearly.

With Mendenhall, Gorman and Findlay Prep all becoming what they have been. Twitter being a place where fans can bombard recruits.

Kruger would be recruiting better NOW than he ever would have been with the exact same effort.

Go look at UNLV's 11-12 team and tell me Kruger wouldn't make a run in the tourney with that roster. HIS roster.

I am looking in a mirror. I see top 5 recruiting classes. I see Mendenhall Center. I see branding.

You clearly only see Dave Rice and a couple games where Reno beat us.

Actually, I'm seeing Vegas since the Tark years.  Not a lot to brag about.  But you do get nice recruits. 

There is no reason you can't get a good coach.  But I doubt you get the big splash you hope for.  

Time will tell.  First you have to get rid of Rice.  And he has a way of getting one more year.   

If you F'ers keep him around for next year, this thread could be the longest in the history of the Internet. And some of us may injure ourselves from laughing too hard. 

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

kruger knew his seat was getting very warm after being ridiculed by the announcers in the ncaa tournament illinois game. THAT is why he suddenly decided to take money he had been offered previously. but like best pointed out, things are different now with recruiting. they are all right here in the summer, we now have the mendenhall (which, btw, kruger had a hand in getting it, from boosters, lol), nba is here, social media is now huge.

i really don't want another unproven assistant, i mentioned earlier that we have paid our dues. and i guarantee the money will be there. livengood is no longer here, thank god...

• Like 2

This isn't meant to be critical so don't take it that way.

You guys sure talk a lot about your coach on this site. Is that because you're so stifled on RebelNet that you can't really do so there?

Boom goes the dynamite.

10 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

This isn't meant to be critical so don't take it that way.

You guys sure talk a lot about your coach on this site. Is that because you're so stifled on RebelNet that you can't really do so there?

i can't stand that site. never have, never will. but wait, maybe it would be fun to work on my trolling skills over there, lol.

i must like all you guys.

• Like 1