Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

If they do fire him I really hope they have some one really good lined up. If they try and go cheap route it's just a crap shoot

It was a good listen, they talked about how Rice made a huge mistake deciding to get rid of Hutson instead of Schroyer , how his teams are constantly not prepared to start the 2nd half, how his constant pacing is a sign that he tries to hard to control the game instead of letting the players play and just in general not a very favorable discussion for Rice fans. They didn't bash him but they basically stated the flaws with him and the program. 

I think some good coaches have seen that UNLV has the ability to draw big time recruits and it's an attractive place to live so I think there will be a pretty good list of candidates. We tried to go cheap here, the boosters will need to step up big time if they are serious about getting back to the top of the league. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

I caught some of Youmans on with the ESPN guys today and it doesn't sound like Rice is guaranteed anything beyond finishing the season. It is my honest opinion that if Rice fails to win a game in the MW Tourney and more importantly loses to Reno again he will be fired. 

What or who was their source?  Or were they just throwing things out there for discussion sake?

It was a good listen, they talked about how Rice made a huge mistake deciding to get rid of Hutson instead of Schroyer , how his teams are constantly not prepared to start the 2nd half, how his constant pacing is a sign that he tries to hard to control the game instead of letting the players play and just in general not a very favorable discussion for Rice fans. They didn't bash him but they basically stated the flaws with him and the program.

I think some good coaches have seen that UNLV has the ability to draw big time recruits and it's an attractive place to live so I think there will be a pretty good list of candidates. We tried to go cheap here, the boosters will need to step up big time if they are serious about getting back to the top of the league.

Great points ... Defense is a major problem and really seems like he has no idea how to fix it.

You see the shortcomings on the court then you see his personality and it's tough to watch. He never seems comfortable

What or who was their source?  Or were they just throwing things out there for discussion sake?

There was none so it could all be nothing but Youmans stated people he's talk to and things he's heard. The getting fired after the Reno game was my opinion not theirs but it sounds like from what Matt has heard nobody was willing to commit to another year even though he'll be under contract. 

Great points ... Defense is a major problem and really seems like he has no idea how to fix it.

You see the shortcomings on the court then you see his personality and it's tough to watch. He never seems comfortable

His comment was along the lines of Hutson was going to be the defensive coach and he was going to be the offensive guru but Schroyer had the type A personality and wanted to be the head coach (which we saw quite a bit of) and now with Hutson back in San Diego nobody has taken the lead on coaching the defense, they all seem to work on it without one guy taking the lead. 

They said you watch a guy like Fisher who treats practice like a classroom and the games like a test he is constantly sitting down during games and never paces because he trusts he did his job preparing these guys in the practice for what they were going to do during the games. 

I'm not trolling at all.

"Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'm all for firing Dave Rice, but who is a realistic replacement?  Keep in mind that if the replacement recruits like Kruger did, then we are just as screwed as we are with Rice.  Since 1947, the first year of the NBA Draft, NO team has won the NCAA Tournament without having at least one player on their roster drafted in the NBA Draft."

You sure? A month later and another 4 losses and now you believe he can get it done?

BTW anyone worried about recruiting, if we fire Rice, obviously doesn't know much about it. Even Kruger's recruiting would be better now with Mendenhall built.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Anybody who believes that a program "sells itself" is full of sh*t.  Billy Gillispie was only getting three star recruits when he was at Kentucky.

Tark sold this program. The current coach who Tark did not first endorse is phucking it up.

His comment was along the lines of Hutson was going to be the defensive coach and he was going to be the offensive guru but Schroyer had the type A personality and wanted to be the head coach (which we saw quite a bit of) and now with Hutson back in San Diego nobody has taken the lead on coaching the defense, they all seem to work on it without one guy taking the lead.

They said you watch a guy like Fisher who treats practice like a classroom and the games like a test he is constantly sitting down during games and never paces because he trusts he did his job preparing these guys in the practice for what they were going to do during the games.

Hutson was a bad pick in first place ... His style of defense doesn't mesh with what Rice wants to do on offense.

Especially when you take the job say winning is 1a but style is 1b

Hutson was a bad pick in first place ... His style of defense doesn't mesh with what Rice wants to do on offense.

Especially when you take the job say winning is 1a but style is 1b

What does riceball want to do in offense? "Let's Run".

Anybody who believes that a program "sells itself" is full of sh*t.  Billy Gillispie was only getting three star recruits when he was at Kentucky.

Nobody is saying that. UNLV has all the pieces in place for any head coach to recruit well. Do you disagree? Is taht why you hold on to Rice? Recruits? Recruits mean more than wins? 5-stars losing to shit Reno at home? 2 years in a row?

Nobody is saying that. UNLV has all the pieces in place for any head coach to recruit well. Do you disagree? Is taht why you hold on to Rice? Recruits? Recruits mean more than wins? 5-stars losing to shit Reno at home? 2 years in a row?

UNLV will not be competitive nationally without recruiting at the level they currently are.  If recruiting is so easy, then why can Dave Rice land top s five recruiting class in a non-P5 conference?  While I'll concede that conference affiliation doesn't matter as much in college basketball as it does in college football, it is still used against us in recruiting.

UNLV will not be competitive nationally without recruiting at the level they currently are.  If recruiting is so easy, then why can Dave Rice land top s five recruiting class in a non-P5 conference?  While I'll concede that conference affiliation doesn't matter as much in college basketball as it does in college football, it is still used against us in recruiting.

I guess you are right. It's probably better to have the number 5 recruiting class and go to the CBI every year when we are lucky enough to be invited. Phuck the Big Dance.

UNLV isn't competitive nationally regionally with the recruiting at the level they currently are....

Have you not realized this?

Recruiting means NOTHING if all you produce on the court is being the laughing stock of national boards.

You want Dave Rice because he recruits well. L O+++++ING L.

UNLV isn't competitive nationally regionally with the recruiting at the level they currently are....

Have you not realized this?

Recruiting means NOTHING if all you produce on the court is being the laughing stock of national boards.

You want Dave Rice because he recruits well. L O+++++ING L.

It's going to start clicking next year.