Rebels18

Fire Dave Rice

Let's be serious and put all the emotions aside.

UNLV can't afford to keep Dave Rice another season, it would burry this program for years to come.

UNLV should give a call to George Karl, make a bold move even if it is only for season or two, you will see the diffrence with the recruits in waiting. If Rice returns next season you will see avalanche of defections, take my word.

Not sure who might be available to replace the guy but I agree that unless he pulls off a miracle and wins the MWC tourney and then a couple games in the dance, he needs to go ASAP. But those saying he should quit are totally fooling themselves. Doesn't Rice have a 5-year deal? Nobody in their right mind would quit halfway through their contract and just give up what, $2-3M?

Boom goes the dynamite.

I had been leaning towards the opinion that Rice needed to be fired since the loss to Illinois, but now I'm completely convinced the guy needs to go.

Either he needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat and win an NCAA tourney game in the next 2 years, or he needs to be gone.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Now this is a realistic list.  Well done!

I think UNLV fans need to look at the recent history (hiring of Dave Rice, and the numerous statements to the media about UNLV financial problems) and accept that fact that UNLV won't be spending $1M plus on a new hire.  Expect about $500K, which means you won't get a huge name.

Maybe this will change, but right now it isn't the case.

Of your list, I like NMSU's coach.

Not trying to start a fight but if UNLV is paying Rice just 500 grand, I'd be shocked. That's 200-300K less than Steve Fisher is making and UNLV supposedly earns megabucks from the T&M.

As to the guy's list, I don't know enough about some of the names to comment but I like Marvin Menzies a lot. It was to a great extent Menzies who helped Fish get his first studs to come to SDSU. As an example, IIRC, Tony Bland said the main reason he agreed to transfer in from Syracuse was Menzies. Some might point to Marvin's record at NMSU and say it's not all that impressive. However, it isn't exactly easy to recruit to Las Cruces. Hell, you can almost see El Armpit from there. Bottom line is I agree that Menzies would be a good hire for UNLV.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Maybe Rebel18 is right?  He has been right most of the time.  Maybe Theus should have his day.  While working for Louisville Pitino called him a tireless recruiter.   I was doing some reading up about him and what he did at NMSU looks really good.  Tied for the 5th best turn around of a basketball program in Division 1.  Second  year took them to the NCAA Tourney.  Yeah, I also read about some of the player problems but, hell we've had a few here at home ourselves.  And, for those that I've heard say "we don't need those kind of problems" how do you like the problems we have with riceball?

Some player problems? NMSU is smart in that it realizes it has to take HUGE risks on getting kids into school. But to their credit, if that's what their fans and admin want???

Not trying to start a fight but if UNLV is paying Rice just 500 grand, I'd be shocked. That's 200-300K less than Steve Fisher is making and UNLV supposedly earns megabucks from the T&M.

As to the guy's list, I don't know enough about some of the names to comment but I like Marvin Menzies a lot. It was to a great extent Menzies who helped Fish get his first studs to come to SDSU. As an example, IIRC, Tony Bland said the main reason he agreed to transfer in from Syracuse was Menzies. Some might point to Marvin's record at NMSU and say it's not all that impressive. However, it isn't exactly easy to recruit to Las Cruces. Hell, you can almost see El Armpit from there. Bottom line is I agree that Menzies would be a good hire for UNLV.

For the ten thousandth time. $500,000 is what Rice offered to be paid so could get the job and still pay good salaries for 'good' assistants. (Lure Augmon from his Developmental coaching job at the Denver Nuggets, give Hutson a payraise to come here, get Schroyer I guess who has been worth it on the recruiting trail atleast etc) Every other HC canidate was asking for $$ in the minimum $1 million figures.

UNLV was paying $1.1 million/year to Lon Kruger. Which at the time I believe was tied with Alford for highest paid in the MWC. Kruger's buy-out was $500,000--so Oklahoma basically paid Rice's salary for UNLV in the first season.

UNLV somehow though Rice was 'it' for UNLV, and even more thrilled he offered to come at a bargain. UNLV got what they paid for.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

The upside of Rice only making 500K is that his buyout propably will be cheap too. The question is can UNLV afford to keep him when only 5k will trek to T&M?

Is it realistic to think that UNLV may have a shot at George Karl and how much would it take $$$ to get him? Even only season or two with him would put UNLV back in national spotlight, Las Vegas needs somebody respected to wake up the Rebels from Rice's induced lethargy and desperation. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Theus was a better choice than Rice but at this time I would like him to show everybody what he can do at Northridge.

I offer up Bruce Pearl as a replacement.  He's a name, and would probably come pretty cheap right about now.

Bruce Pearl would be a star in Vegas.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Mike Dunlap would be good hire as well. Recruited the east, and west. Great X and O's guy.

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

Mike Dunlap would be good hire as well. Recruited the east, and west. Great X and O's guy.

He was considered in the last hiring process.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I doubt Theus is even a possibility at this point.

It would have benefitted him more to stay jobless,

As much as I liked Theus candidacy after Kruger's departure the timing is not good now.

My ULTIMATE connection with the past would be Karl / Grigurich / Augmon Staff and Tark enjoying himself on the sidelines, guaranteed success.

Can you elaborate some on why you think the timing is not good?  Does he have a large buyout clause or something?