LPH-10

Why Is Utah State So Hated On Here

It really is.  The sportstalk radio guys are just as bad as the print journalism around here.  It's so amateur. 

You still trying to run us off, little guy?  We can be here all we like.  Keep peeing on that fire hydrant, I guess.  That'll make us leave.

Meh.  I don't really care that you all are here.  Stick around all you like.  Besides, without the byu and utah fans, there would be far fewer and far shorter threads about Utah State.

I doubt that I will ever come to terms with your purpose or desired outcome from being here.  I just don't get it.  It is a lot like if I spent time hanging out and posting on the WAC or Big West boards.  I get that it feeds your ego to come here and project superiority.  I understand that.

Carry on sir!

Meh.  I don't really care that you all are here.  Stick around all you like.  Besides, without the byu and utah fans, there would be far fewer and far shorter threads about Utah State.

I doubt that I will ever come to terms with your purpose or desired outcome from being here.  I just don't get it.  It is a lot like if I spent time hanging out and posting on the WAC or Big West boards.  I get that it feeds your ego to come here and project superiority.  I understand that.

Carry on sir!

Irony.....

With this, I am in 100% agreement.  There are some exceptions, but mostly it seems that real and fair sports reporters have been replaced by shock jocks and guys who like to say anything to create controversy.

It is a bit surprising, the guy that wrote the "USU has established themselves as the best" is actually a seasoned journalist, and usually someone I will read for information.   He doesn't seem like somebody that is just out trying to create controversy.  I think a statement like "USU has established themselves as a competitive program with the other instate schools" is a fair one, though I may get lit up for that one. (But I don't care, clearly USU today is not the same program it was just 4 years ago, much less 7-8 years ago.)  However, until it wins some more games, it is hard for me even as a biased fan to make a claim like that.

Having said that newspapers across America are cutting staff and are hard pressed to make profits.  The Des News cut about 1/3 of their staff 4 years ago, and the SL Trib has cut positions several time since then.  They don't employ as many professional journalists, but now are filled with part time bloggers and unpaid interns.   It is a dying business, and only a few seasoned reporters still write for either one.

And don't even get me started on radio.   There is maybe 30% actual reporting and 70% trying get a rise out of the local fanbases.

The sports media in Utah falls into two camps, either total homers for whichever team/school they are employed by or follow, putting out nothing but propaganda, or guys that just throw out every outrageous claim they can in order to try and manufacture contreversy and generate ratings. I am a sports junkie, and listen to sports talk quite a bit, but it is hard to take the local guys, the signal to noise ratio is so low. In the mornings, DJ and PK is the only local show, and PK's schtick is tired and old, he basically just tries to amuse himself and I don't find him to be clever at all. In the afternoon I often have to pick between soccer talk, UFO conspiracies and a pompous windbag, and in between is mostly a bunch of amatuer hacks. And outside of the Dan Patrick show in the morning, the national shows they carry during the day suck, I can't stand Rome or Cowherd anymore. Oh well, at least I can get a fix here once in a while.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

USU is hated because they won't let this thread die.

That's one of the many reasons. Or to put it differently, they're hated in part because of all the douchbags who came in here 3+ years ago guaranteeing they would be added to the MWC at the January 2011 presidents meeting. Of course, on the last day of the meeting, then MWC president Steve Weber told the media there was never even a motion to invite the Naggies.

The Naggies' vast paranoia complex is another reason to hate them. But give credit where it's due. Most of their fans have lightened up a bit so there's still hope of them being moderately tolerable. Now, if they would just verbally beat the shit out of the "professor" from Utah State, K-Mart . . .

Boom goes the dynamite.

The sports media in Utah falls into two camps, either total homers for whichever team/school they are employed by or follow, putting out nothing but propaganda, or guys that just throw out every outrageous claim they can in order to try and manufacture contreversy and generate ratings. I am a sports junkie, and listen to sports talk quite a bit, but it is hard to take the local guys, the signal to noise ratio is so low. In the mornings, DJ and PK is the only local show, and PK's schtick is tired and old, he basically just tries to amuse himself and I don't find him to be clever at all. In the afternoon I often have to pick between soccer talk, UFO conspiracies and a pompous windbag, and in between is mostly a bunch of amatuer hacks. And outside of the Dan Patrick show in the morning, the national shows they carry during the day suck, I can't stand Rome or Cowherd anymore. Oh well, at least I can get a fix here once in a while.

I couldn't agree more with this.  DJ & PK are simply lazy.  They know nothing about sports on the national scene.  All they do is make lame attempts to get Utah and BYU fans to go after each other, then they spend all morning reading texts from Utah/BYU fans bashing each other.  It's stupid and lazy, anyone could do that show.  I often think that if one of the other stations did a local morning show, it would blow those two hacks out of the water.  Personally, I would like to see Tony Jones get a show.  He has some outside perspective and since he covered USU and now covers Utah, he has some good insight to both programs and has a pretty good finger on the pulse of the local high school scene.  I also like Jeramiah Jensen from KSL, he would be good with Tony I think.  

The afternoon programs are impossible to listen to unless you love hearing about the Jazz (which I don't).  I get a kick out of Gunther, but he knows nothing about sports other than playing O-Line.  I don't read the newspapers so I can't comment on them.  I assume they are as terrible as the local radio options.  

Oh well, at least I can get a fix here once in a while.

That is why I peruse these boards as well.   I don't even listen to the local radio, too much to weed through to get anything of value.   I do read the local papers still, because I can decide what read. (And there are a couple of decent reporters left.)  I hate the comment boards on their website, the D-News takes too much time to post because everything is reviewed, and the SL Trib's boards are just a bunch of crazy nutcases that aren't out to have a discussion, just be as shrill as possible.

Though this board gets a little combative (just look at this thread) people will just talk sports and evaluate if given the chance to just talk.  I like USU's board since they are my favorite team, and I have deep Aggie roots, but I do sometimes like to read about the sports scenes in general, hence I come here.  I have been on this board under a different handle since 2005, just for that reason.

Plus it is a little bit of fun to get a rise out of others every so often, and this board gives you that chance. <_<

Just realized I never posted on the why USU is hated thread. I am a bit of a procrastinator and was waiting to get in a comment. I was also trying to find a reason to hate them.

They're hated because someone has to be and hating a team in Utah is just natural. In fact up to and including the football beat down, I thought BYU had come back.

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

I listen to Gunther for comedic relief, that guys pretty funny.

The rest of em meh...

Monson , every now and then has some cogent thoughts. And he will fight for the little guy.

Monson may occasionally write a decent article in the trib, but he is so full of himself, and enjoys hearing his own voice so much that he is really hard to take. Monson is all about promoting Monson, really can't stand him for the most part.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

PK used to be good.  That's what sucks.  Ten years ago he used to have some sources that told him stuff and he was a good beat writer, even if I didn't agree with all his takes. Monson is just a shock jock that tries to take a contrarian viewpoint to what the locals are feeling to draw ratings.  Spence Checketts is a pathetic alcoholic that only has a job because his dad got him one.  I actually like Gunther, I think he's fair most of the time with the teams here, but that new guy they have with him is a douche.

I couldn't agree more with this.  DJ & PK are simply lazy.  They know nothing about sports on the national scene.  All they do is make lame attempts to get Utah and BYU fans to go after each other, then they spend all morning reading texts from Utah/BYU fans bashing each other.  It's stupid and lazy, anyone could do that show.  I often think that if one of the other stations did a local morning show, it would blow those two hacks out of the water.  Personally, I would like to see Tony Jones get a show.  He has some outside perspective and since he covered USU and now covers Utah, he has some good insight to both programs and has a pretty good finger on the pulse of the local high school scene.  I also like Jeramiah Jensen from KSL, he would be good with Tony I think.  

The afternoon programs are impossible to listen to unless you love hearing about the Jazz (which I don't).  I get a kick out of Gunther, but he knows nothing about sports other than playing O-Line.  I don't read the newspapers so I can't comment on them.  I assume they are as terrible as the local radio options.  

Yeah, they talk too much Jazz and I don't think the Jazz are the draw they were 15 years ago.   IMO, the Jazz used to be the big draw, and the one station that does all their games keeps trying to drum up interest that way, but I think people in general are more interested in college football with the Utes in the PAC, BYU's independence, and USU in the MWC.  I'm also interested pro football and sometimes Scott Garrard will talk a bit of that. 

I drive between a few work locations during the day, so in the morning I'll listen to Dan Patrick, during the midday if Jake and Tony have something interesting, I'll listen, but it's more likely I listen to Doug Gottlieb or Cowherd during that time.  In the pm I never listen to Monson and Checketts.  I'll usually listen to Monty and Gunther, unless Hans and Soccerboy have something going, which 90% of the time they don't.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Carry on sir!

What is my proposed or desired outcome?

This all sounds like a personal problem to me.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

What is my proposed or desired outcome?

This all sounds like a personal problem to me.

Other than policing the board against slander of byu and continuing to project byu's superiority over the gang of 12 teams that make up the current MWC, I don't really see a reason for you to be here.

You tell me.  Your team left the conference and you are still here.  What keeps you coming for 22,000 posts?

I have heard rumblings that you personally have some ownership stake or something with MWCboard.  So there is that.

PK used to be good.  That's what sucks.  Ten years ago he used to have some sources that told him stuff and he was a good beat writer, even if I didn't agree with all his takes. Monson is just a shock jock that tries to take a contrarian viewpoint to what the locals are feeling to draw ratings.  Spence Checketts is a pathetic alcoholic that only has a job because his dad got him one.  I actually like Gunther, I think he's fair most of the time with the teams here, but that new guy they have with him is a douche.

Yeah, they talk too much Jazz and I don't think the Jazz are the draw they were 15 years ago.   IMO, the Jazz used to be the big draw, and the one station that does all their games keeps trying to drum up interest that way, but I think people in general are more interested in college football with the Utes in the PAC, BYU's independence, and USU in the MWC.  I'm also interested pro football and sometimes Scott Garrard will talk a bit of that. 

I drive between a few work locations during the day, so in the morning I'll listen to Dan Patrick, during the midday if Jake and Tony have something interesting, I'll listen, but it's more likely I listen to Doug Gottlieb or Cowherd during that time.  In the pm I never listen to Monson and Checketts.  I'll usually listen to Monty and Gunther, unless Hans and Soccerboy have something going, which 90% of the time they don't.

Like a previous poster said, PK is lazy, and content to do his schtick and try to stir the pot. I like Gunther, I think he has some actual talent, but he is more of a "color" guy, and needs an actual sports guy to lead the show and reign him in (needs to lay off the UFO's and cats), and as you said, Monty is a douche.

I like Hans a lot when he is actually breaking down games, but he is not used well, too much soccer and sales.

In the mornings, I really liked the segments that they had with Doman in the mornings on Mondays and Fridays. Really made me wish that we had some full time guys that knew what they were talking about. I also enjoyed the segments they had on Fridays with Lavell and McBride, although that may just be nostalgia on my part - they often went into old guy rambles and forgot stuff, but loved hearing their old stories.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

Other than policing the board against slander of byu and continuing to project byu's superiority over the gang of 12 teams that make up the current MWC, I don't really see a reason for you to be here.

You tell me.  Your team left the conference and you are still here.  What keeps you coming for 22,000 posts?

I have heard rumblings that you personally have some ownership stake or something with MWCboard.  So there is that.

Full disclosure.  I don't have ownership in the board.  The guy who does kicked me off his other board.

I've told you why I post here.  If you haven't figured it out, there's 22k posts you can sift through so you can figure out why.

If you guys would stop slandering BYU, nobody would need to police it, right?

People in Utah are so polar opposites about soccer.

I've been talking to other people about soccer and had arrogant interlopers stop the conversation to tell me why they hate it so much.  Up yours, you arrogant dickwads.

I hate soccer.

People in Utah are so polar opposites about soccer.

I've been talking to other people about soccer and had arrogant interlopers stop the conversation to tell me why they hate it so much.  Up yours, you arrogant dickwads.

+1

Every time I hear someone on KFAN try and talk anything soccer-related their counterpart just mocks the sport.  I suppose they think that makes for good radio?

+1

Every time I hear someone on KFAN try and talk anything soccer-related their counterpart just mocks the sport.  I suppose they think that makes for good radio?

What else is there to do in that situation?