LPH-10

Why Is Utah State So Hated On Here

On 3/5/2019 at 10:43 AM, westfan said:

I didn't bother to read this whole thread so maybe this is already been posted. Why when Utah and BYU were in the original MWC did they not want any part of USU being in the  same conference with them? In state rivals games are usually well attended plus BYU and Utah usually play USU in football and basketball.

This is an extremely controversial subject. I will try to give it a fair response. Eyebrows were certainly raised when USU was not invited to the original WAC. USU's football team had just had two consecutive ranked seasons led by Merlin Olsen, and it was widely considered to be the top program in the state at the time. Utah fans would argue that USU was something of a flash in the pan and that Utah had dominated the series up until the Merlin Olsen days (and they would have a point). But I think any objective-minded person would have to agree that USU's athletics program was vastly superior to BYU's program at the time. I think all of the people who know for sure why USU was excluded are dead now, so all we have are rumors and hearsay. Some say that Utah was worried about USU surpassing them, so they hoped to knee cap them by leaving them without a conference home. Others say that the conference did not want three schools from the state of Utah and the LDS Church intervened to make sure that BYU was chosen rather than USU. Others say that there was some kind of personal beef between USU's president/leadership and the leaders of the other local schools. I've heard countless old-time fans who knew someone who knew someone who was in the room when the decision was made and were adamant that USU was excluded for reasons X, Y, or Z. But given that nobody seems to agree on why it happened, I am inclined to believe that they are just rumors. Unless it is explained in the private papers of one of the university presidents involved and they make those papers public at some point, we will probably never know. However, I like to believe that all but the most delusional BYU fans would acknowledge that if the decision were based purely on the quality of the respective athletic programs at the time, USU should have been chosen over BYU.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StanfordAggie said:

This is an extremely controversial subject. I will try to give it a fair response. Eyebrows were certainly raised when USU was not invited to the original WAC. USU's football team had just had two consecutive ranked seasons led by Merlin Olsen, and it was widely considered to be the top program in the state at the time. Utah fans would argue that USU was something of a flash in the pan and that Utah had dominated the series up until the Merlin Olsen days (and they would have a point). But I think any objective-minded person would have to agree that USU's athletics program was vastly superior to BYU's program at the time. I think all of the people who know for sure why USU was excluded are dead now, so all we have are rumors and hearsay. Some say that Utah was worried about USU surpassing them, so they hoped to knee cap them by leaving them without a conference home. Others say that the conference did not want three schools from the state of Utah and the LDS Church intervened to make sure that BYU was chosen rather than USU. Others say that there was some kind of personal beef between USU's president/leadership and the leaders of the other local schools. I've heard countless old-time fans who knew someone who knew someone who was in the room when the decision was made and were adamant that USU was excluded for reasons X, Y, or Z. But given that nobody seems to agree on why it happened, I am inclined to believe that they are just rumors. Unless it is explained in the private papers of one of the university presidents involved and they make those papers public at some point, we will probably never know. However, I like to believe that all but the most delusional BYU fans would acknowledge that if the decision were based purely on the quality of the respective athletic programs at the time, USU should have been chosen over BYU.

These posts are another reason it is hated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

This thread is always entertaining.  I can’t  believe it’s been 2 years since anyone has post on this thread. 2 years.  I don’t like them anymore than I did 2 years ago.  We’ve given them a reprieve.  It’s off season, time to heat it up again.

• Cheers 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spazdog said:

This thread is always entertaining.  I can’t  believe it’s been 2 years since anyone has post on this thread. 2 years.  I don’t like them anymore than I did 2 years ago.  We’ve given them a reprieve.  It’s off season, time to heat it up again.

Yeah, it’s time to take this thread to 200 pages and beyond.   A couple of more reasons:   Aggies had arguably their best team ever in 2020 and still couldn’t win a first round tourney game, and in 2021 they lose arguably their best coach in recent memory to a hated commuter school 85 miles down the road.

3 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Yeah, it’s time to take this thread to 200 pages and beyond.   A couple of more reasons:   Aggies had arguably their best team ever in 2020 and still couldn’t win a first round tourney game, and in 2021 they lose arguably their best coach in recent memory to a hated commuter school 85 miles down the road.

cow.gif.99bffd49e89e43fec9d02a9f30dc2d1b.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

It's the diverse nature of the student body that grates on some people:

students-yelling-at-basketball-game.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke