Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rofl_copter_dos

MWC football recruiting 2014

Recruiting is obviously far from an exact science and a lot of guessing as to who will be successful at the next level and what their rating is....but to me, above all else, the biggest indicator as to who projects well at the next level is the amount of "other offers" a recruit receives from D1 schools....if multiple D1 recruiters, who get paid to evaluate talent, deem a kid scholarship worthy you're more likely to see production from him than the sleeper with no other offers......I mean there are plenty of examples of flops or surprise sleepers, but in general you want the kids others want also. Take a look at the top schools: Alabama, USC, Oregon, Auburn, Florida St, LSU...their sleepers have multiple offers.

Too many kids with unimpressive offer sheets turn out big.

Canty specifically had PAC offers in football tho...UW and WSU for sure, and I believe UCLA as well.

Too many kids with unimpressive offer sheets turn out big.

Canty specifically had PAC offers in football tho...UW and WSU for sure, and I believe UCLA as well.

That's more the exception....we can all point to under recruited and over looked recruits...the more eyes on a recruit with offers on the table the better the athlete, the majority of the time....period.

And so I'd imagine you're most high on Canty? You should be....the others thus far not so impressive, especially coming off a nationally ranked season...TD doesn't appear to be that impressive a recruiter quite frankly....maybe he'll finish strong and sign some sought after recruits...a lot can still happen..

Pokes pick up another o-line commit in Tanner Cole from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 6'4 285lbs. Videos I've seen show him as a very good run blocker that just shoves defenders backwards until the play is over, or the defender loses their footing.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Cole-Turner-144841

It appears that Bohl's FCS titles helped with at least one recruit:

"I kind of think what they didn't say," Turner said Monday of Bohl's staff, which has has won two FCS titles at North Dakota State. "They weren't talking about coming in and dominating college football or any of that. I don't feel like they are guys who offer a lot of talk. They are guys who are going to go out and get things done. They went from a DII program to a I-AA program about to win their third title in a row."

"I come from a successful high school program and we put a lot of emphasis on winning. That is what I think that is what they do best and that is, I think, what they want to do there."

I hope he is the type of player that Bohl can unearth that doesn't have huge offers but has a good frame and they can coach him up to a great player.  Ideally I would love 3 or 4 star players but that just isn't realistic for all recruits.  Seems like a good kid who will love Wyoming.  Wyoming can use some really good, big offensive lineman.  

That's more the exception....we can all point to under recruited and over looked recruits...the more eyes on a recruit with offers on the table the better the athlete, the majority of the time....period.

And so I'd imagine you're most high on Canty? You should be....the others thus far not so impressive, especially coming off a nationally ranked season...TD doesn't appear to be that impressive a recruiter quite frankly....maybe he'll finish strong and sign some sought after recruits...a lot can still happen..

Grading a recruiting class before signing day isn't wise. Ours will be good.

Lazarus says hi.

Lazarus says hi.

Cool. Tell him hi from me also and that I'm sorry the Pac 12 dream ended due to his academic troubles, but good luck with his fall back choice.

TD rolling the dice as scholarships are precious and no one these days can afford to gamble on kids with serious academic trouble. Heckuva talent if he dedicates himself in the classroom.

Cool. Tell him hi from me also and that I'm sorry the Pac 12 dream ended due to his academic troubles, but good luck with his fall back choice.

TD rolling the dice as scholarships are precious and no one these days can afford to gamble on kids with serious academic trouble. Heckuva talent if he dedicates himself in the classroom.

I see that 6-6 is still hurting.

Nope. Recruiting appears to be going very well.....oh, you mean because I pointed out your recruit's academic trouble? I thought that was known, sorry to bring you down.

Yea, 6-6 was disappointing but the Spartans finished strong, which certainly isn't the case for everybody.

Nope. Recruiting appears to be going very well.....oh, you mean because I pointed out your recruit's academic trouble? I thought that was known, sorry to bring you down.

Yea, 6-6 was disappointing but the Spartans finished strong, which certainly isn't the case for everybody.

Winning the CCG was a strong finish for us, and we'll be in the hunt for a 3-peat next season. Football is is on an upswing at FS. I hope the Spartans can turn things around. Happy New Year!!!!

lol. Clearly that's the reason why Nebraska put the press on him before he visited Fresno.  :shrug:

Ivy League schools offer no sports scholarships. Athletics will get you in the door (even the worst have something like 5 qualified rejects to every admittance). But someone has to pay the steep tuition.

They have all kinds of other financial assistance if they want you bad enough. I know a kid who went to Yale for football...parents were only on the hook for about $5k a year plus his books, which is a bargain. He was given a partial academic scholarship, as well as an alumni funded "need scholarship."

They have all kinds of other financial assistance if they want you bad enough. I know a kid who went to Yale for football...parents were only on the hook for about $5k a year plus his books, which is a bargain. He was given a partial academic scholarship, as well as an alumni funded "need scholarship."

This, exactly. I was recruited by Princeton but not good enough to receive that kind of help, but there was still a nice chunk that was going to be taken care of if my parents could have swung the rest.

Here goes another possible domino in the Pac 12 with Texas talking to Jim Mora. If that happens it is going to be quite wild, with last minute flips.poaching sprees etc.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche