Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

UNLV to Pac-12 would be a smart idea

Hello fellow MWC fans. I think UNLV would be a smart choice for the Pac-12 if they were to expand in the near future. UNLV's basketball is becoming a powerhouse with the additions of Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch, and Roscoe Smith. UNLV football has been terrible for the past decade but I think we can step it up starting this year. I know most of you will say UNLV's academics aren't up to par, but UNLV's academics have raised slowly but surely the past decade. UNLV's academics were maybe the worst in D-I in the country about 20 years ago, but we have leapfrogged about 50 schools, that's pretty good in a 20-year span. I want to hear what you have to say about this, so I'll stop typing. Thank you.

Hello fellow MWC fans. I think UNLV would be a smart choice for the Pac-12 if they were to expand in the near future. UNLV's basketball is becoming a powerhouse with the additions of Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch, and Roscoe Smith. UNLV football has been terrible for the past decade but I think we can step it up starting this year. I know most of you will say UNLV's academics aren't up to par, but UNLV's academics have raised slowly but surely the past decade. UNLV's academics were maybe the worst in D-I in the country about 20 years ago, but we have leapfrogged about 50 schools, that's pretty good in a 20-year span. I want to hear what you have to say about this, so I'll stop typing. Thank you.

That would make UNLV about the 300th best academic school in D1 - definitely PAC-12 material!

Oddly enough, I agree. I think adding Air Force to join Colorado, and BYU to join Utah would make a lot of sense. Then add UNLV and SDSU and the history they have and you now have a solid Pac16 that would own the west. All states represented would be interconnected (or bordering each other) and each school would have a very distinct rival:

Washington and Wash State

Oregon and Oregon State

Cal and Stanford

USC an UCLA

Arizona and Arizona State

Utah and BYU

Colorado an Air Force

UNLV and SDSU

Makes sense geographically, athletically, from a TV market standpoint, and from a rivalry standpoint. Plus it prevents any other western conference from being relevant.

Oddly enough, I agree. I think adding Air Force to join Colorado, and BYU to join Utah would make a lot of sense. Then add UNLV and SDSU and the history they have and you now have a solid Pac16 that would own the west. All states represented would be interconnected (or bordering each other) and each school would have a very distinct rival:

Oregon and Oregon State

Cal and Stanford

USC an UCLA

Utah and BYU

Colorado an Air Force

UNLV and SDSU

Makes sense geographically, athletically, from a TV market standpoint, and from a rivalry standpoint. Plus it prevents any other western conference from being relevant.

Except that the Fluffaloes don't seem to get along very well with the Flyboys.

I can agree with everything you got there except SD St. If SD St was going to be in the Pac-12, they would already be there. Not going to happen

SDSU was in the prerunner to 1aa when the PAC formed out of the PCAA, and was indy trying to transition up when ASU and UofA left the wac; only started making real strides on the readin' rittin' rithmitic side of campus the last couple decades, sports facilities the last 15 years and performance, well, that has a ways to go in football. So, I'm not going to argue that SDSU is ever going to go to the PAC regardless of what they do based on politics, but it's the ultimate warbowism to say we'd already be there if we ever would be there - our odds, in fact, go up as time goes by, up from 0 percent to 1, hell 1.5 percent with a bullet!

And, to the OP, mr. one post, generic name, whose sockpuppet is this?

i_love_suds_mug-p168021735772838352enw9p

The only way this will happen in the near future is if a team of UNLV hired ninjas were to take the PAC12 presidents hostage and force them to do it.

Ask again in about 5 years and it might be < a 25% chance if UNLV keeps improving.

In 10 years it might be < a 50% long shot and then only if the PAC12 NEEDS to add a team.

I'll give it 20 years before there might be a 75% or better chance and that's if everything goes in UNLV's favor.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

All UNLV can do is to continue to improve sports, infrastructure, academics and research to put themselves in a position that the PAC12 might one day even look at them.

2me1q87.jpg

The only way this will happen in the near future is if a team of UNLV hired ninjas were to take the PAC12 presidents hostage and force them to do it.

Ask again in about 5 years and it might be < a 25% chance if UNLV keeps improving.

In 10 years it might be < a 50% long shot and then only if the PAC12 NEEDS to add a team.

I'll give it 20 years before there might be a 75% or better chance and that's if everything goes in UNLV's favor.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

All UNLV can do is to continue to improve sports, infrastructure, academics and research to put themselves in a position that the PAC12 might one day even look at them.

If we were talking about 10 or even 5 years ago I would've believed you, but now conference realignment is a monthly thing. By 2013 the Pac-12 will expand again and hopefully UNLV is on the top of that list.

If we were talking about 10 or even 5 years ago I would've believed you, but now conference realignment is a monthly thing. By 2013 the Pac-12 will expand again and hopefully UNLV is on the top of that list.

Well you can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

Guest #1Stunner

I can agree with everything you got there except SD St. If SD St was going to be in the Pac-12, they would already be there. Not going to happen

I think that if the Pac12 ever expands SDSU will be strongly considered. Right now, the Pac12 teams all seem hell-bent on playing games in Southern California. The problem is that if there is expansion, then there will be fewer opportunities for all schools to play in Southern Cal. Adding San Diego State would remedy that.

Previous issues with adding SDSU was when the Pac12 had 10 teams. But that would be less of a problem with 16 teams. And don't forget, we saw the Big12 expand in Texas recently and add TCU, which would never have been predicted a few years ago.

Oregon and Oregon State

Cal and Stanford

USC an UCLA

Utah and BYU

Colorado an Air Force

UNLV and SDSU

omg that's the best idea I have never thought of myself. I always figured Colorado and Colorado State, although Utah and Utah State is an example of out of conference in-state rivalries, so there wouldn't be a need to add CSU Rams..but I don't get why Air Force and Colorado don't play anymore?

Except that the Fluffaloes don't seem to get along very well with the Flyboys.

I read an article posted on a thread here last summer that said it was because in the Hippie Era of the late 60s to 1970s the CU admin said hell no because of the vietnam draft.....makes me wonder why it hasn't come around in the 21st century :huh:

also, when did Wyoming play CU last? I thought of a scenario where they could be travel partners, because CU already plays CSU and since CSU/Wyo is a rivalry, shouldn't CU/Wyo have some history as well?

I agree due to the California State University label. No CSU is getting invited so long as the current presidents maintain the linestep of no BYU no CSUs (in CA), no directional schools (excepting Southern Cal) and no city state schools (excepting UCLA)

I would think if they had to choose between Hawaii, Las Vegas, and San Diego, they'd take UNLV and Hawaii because they are new markets and destinations. San Diego isn't Sin City or Paradise, and re: above the whole CSU label

UNLV in PAC-12 will happen faster than most of you think, SDSU can only dream.

I find the race between any MWC school getting in ahead of Hawaii the #1, #2, #3, #4 finish.

I think that if the Pac12 ever expands SDSU will be strongly considered. Right now, the Pac12 teams all seem hell-bent on playing games in Southern California. The problem is that if there is expansion, then there will be fewer opportunities for all schools to play in Southern Cal. Adding San Diego State would remedy that.

Previous issues with adding SDSU was when the Pac12 had 10 teams. But that would be less of a problem with 16 teams. And don't forget, we saw the Big12 expand in Texas recently and add TCU, which would never have been predicted a few years ago.

The Big 12 was unstable and had to add powerful schools. the Pac 12 is apples/oranges. never lost a member under the Pac 8 name..the Big 12 was falling apart and was lucky to steal MWC champ TCu and Big East champ WVU, only because they(the Texas Little 12) were higher on the food chain...ergo the Pac could have taken the Sooner State, but decided not too (probably because of the unequal divisions without Texas, and skip the legal battles Baylor et al threatened)

The playoff is here and I can hardly believe this day has come. Now when will the playoff expand to 8 teams? 2016 please come true.

Guest #1Stunner

The Big 12 was unstable and had to add powerful schools. the Pac 12 is apples/oranges. never lost a member under the Pac 8 name..the Big 12 was falling apart and was lucky to steal MWC champ TCu and Big East champ WVU, only because they(the Texas Little 12) were higher on the food chain...ergo the Pac could have taken the Sooner State, but decided not too (probably because of the unequal divisions without Texas, and skip the legal battles Baylor et al threatened)

But the scenario here is if the Pac12 were to expand. And the Pac12's problem in such a scenario is that they have very few good, regional "power" teams to choose from. The Big 12, in contrast, can go all the way to the East Coast.

Pac12 geography limitations is one reason that SDSU would be a good candidate (under this hypothetical).

I agree due to the California State University label.

I don't know about that argument. They are lots of "State" schools in the PAC, and SDSU is academically ahead of Arizona State. It's also bigger and much better situated geographically than Oregon State (Corvallis) and Washington State (Pullman).

Personally, I think it will all come down to demographics if the Pac-12 ever chooses to expand. Right now, they are probbly over paid based on the audience they deliver. No real reason to expand at this time. However, when it comes time to renegotiate thier TV contract, I belive they will expand.

California is the largest state in the US in terms of population. The second largest state in the US is Texas. Per the last census, Texas actually grew around 20% over the last decade. No other state is the west comes close to that population. No other large population state is still growing that fast. My guess is that at least one or two teams in any Pac-12 expansion must come from Texas in order for the Pac-12 to see maximum value for thier next TV contract. They would prefer it to be Texas and Texas Tech, but when the time comes to expand---if those are not available---others could be considered.

What's up with this stuff. There are no non-AQ's with any chance in the P-12. Deal with it.

Now if certain things happen in say 10 years, then there could be a couple of teams worthy .

However, schools with no chance in ten years are Boise, SDSU, Fresno, Hawaii, BYU, UNLV, WYO, AF.

The schools that could be worthy of selection if certain realistic goals are attained in 10 years are:

Colorado St,

Nevada

New Mexico

I don't have time to go over these right now, but I will later.

kat.jpg