Warbow

What the play-offs would have looked like the last five years

Using win/Loss records, SOS, head-to-head and conference championships as criteria mentioned for the new play-offs and using the past BCS standing, it looks like the MWC would have had more play-off appearances than the Big-10, ACC and the Big East.

Sad note: No Boise St appearances...

2011:

LSU (SEC champ)

Oklahoma St (Big-12 Champ)

Oregon (PAC-12 champ)

Wisconsin (Big-10 champ)

2010:

Auburn (SEC champ)

Oregon (PAC-10 champ)

TCU (MWC champ)

Oklahoma (Big-12 Champ)

2009:

Alabama (SEC champ)

Texas (Big-12 Champ)

Cincinnati (Big East champ)

TCU (MWC champ)

2008:

Oklahoma (Big-12 Champ)

Florida (SEC champ)

USC (PAC-10 champ)

Utah (MWC champ)

2007:

Ohio St. (Big-10 champ)

LSU (SEC champ)

Oklahoma (Big-12 champ)

Virginia Tech (ACC champ)

Appearances:

SEC: 05

Big 12: 05

Pac-10/12: 03

MWC: 03

Big-10: 02

ACC: 01

Big East: 01

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

That would have been awesome but I guarantee you the committee would have found a way to leave the MW out of it.

Like they did Cinci who even though was undefeated had no shot at playing for a national title

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Cincy get blasted from

Like they did Cinci who even though was undefeated had no shot at playing for a national title

Well they get blasted by the SEC runner up. Just like how we did against the #3 SEC team.

Exactly. Committee! Committee! Committee.... either that or computer! computer! computer.

The computers used win/loss records and SOS for their ranking with no head to head or conference championship consideration.

Take the Alabama-LSU deal last season, Alabama would never have made the play-offs because they loss to LSU during the regular season (head-to head). Why would you include a non-conference champion (Alabama) who loss to the conference champion (LSU) into your 4 team play-off. That would make it stupid for conference to even have a conference championship game.

Lets also take the Big-10 2010 conference dual champions (Michigan St-Wisconsin). Michigan St beat Wisconsin during their head-to-head season game and both teams finsihed with 1 conference loss and 2 overall losses. But Wisconsin finished ahead of Michigan St in the final BCS polls. Being that Wisconsin loss to Michigan St but Wisconsin finished higher in the BCS polls (SOS & win/loss record) both teams pretty much eliminated each other from the play-offs because they had other higher rated conference champs before Michigan St.

I think this play-off system would work out well for the MWC if they kept the BCS poll system to rate teams.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Cincy get blasted from

Well they get blasted by the SEC runner up. Just like how we did against the #3 SEC team.

I will never forget that OT game in Ruston that year.

What an epic game.

Using win/Loss records, SOS, head-to-head and conference championships as criteria mentioned for the new play-offs and using the past BCS standing, it looks like the MWC would have had more play-off appearances than the Big-10, ACC and the Big East.

Sad note: No Boise St appearances...

2011:

LSU (SEC champ)

Oklahoma St (Big-12 Champ)

Oregon (PAC-12 champ)

Wisconsin (Big-10 champ)

2010:

Auburn (SEC champ)

Oregon (PAC-10 champ)

TCU (MWC champ)

Oklahoma (Big-12 Champ)

2009:

Alabama (SEC champ)

Texas (Big-12 Champ)

Cincinnati (Big East champ)

TCU (MWC champ)

2008:

Oklahoma (Big-12 Champ)

Florida (SEC champ)

USC (PAC-10 champ)

Utah (MWC champ)

2007:

Ohio St. (Big-10 champ)

LSU (SEC champ)

Oklahoma (Big-12 champ)

Virginia Tech (ACC champ)

Appearances:

SEC: 05

Big 12: 05

Pac-10/12: 03

MWC: 03

Big-10: 02

ACC: 01

Big East: 01

If that is what it truly would have looked like, I don't think we have any complaints. Now will any of us, outside of BSU, be able to step up our level of play as Utah and TCU did? A better system may be in place, but we have to win on the field to make it work for us.

I believe you have made mistakes

you appear to be using the final rankings VS the week 15 rankings

in 2011 it would be:

LSU

OkState

Stanford

Boise State

http://espn.go.com/c...kings/_/week/15

in 2010

Auburn

Oregon

TCU

Wisconsin

http://espn.go.com/c...ar/2010/week/15

Alabama

Texas

Cincy

TCU

http://espn.go.com/c...ar/2009/week/15

Oklahoma

Florida

USC

Utah

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2008/week/16

Ohio State

LSU

VaTech

Oklahoma

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2007/week/15

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

If that is what it truly would have looked like, I don't think we have any complaints. Now will any of us, outside of BSU, be able to step up our level of play as Utah and TCU did? A better system may be in place, but we have to win on the field to make it work for us.

Well, BSU did not step up either since they did not make the top 4 either.

I believe you have made mistakes you appear to be using the final rankings VS the week 15 rankings in 2011 it would be: LSU OkState Stanford Boise State http://espn.go.com/c...kings/_/week/15 in 2010 Auburn Oregon TCU Wisconsin http://espn.go.com/c...ar/2010/week/15 2009 Alabama Texas Cincy TCU http://espn.go.com/c...ar/2009/week/15 2008 Oklahoma Florida USC Utah http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2008/week/16 2007 Ohio State LSU VaTech Oklahoma http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2007/week/15

Actually I was using the final BCS ranking that would have determined who plays in the BCS bowls.

Stanford hasn't won a Pac-10/12 championship in over 12 years. No way they get a playoff spot over Oregon who beat them head-to-head and won the PAC-12 championship.

Also, TCU won the conference champioship in 2011 and beat Boise St head to head. Why would they pick Boise over TCU in 2011?

Actually I was using the final BCS ranking that would have determined who plays in the BCS bowls.

Stanford hasn't won a Pac-10/12 championship in over 12 years. No way they get a playoff spot over Oregon who beat them head-to-head and won the PAC-12 championship.

what I posted is the BCS rankings......where do you get BCS rankings that are different than the ones listed right on the ESPN site for the final week of the season?

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

what I posted is the BCS rankings......where do you get BCS rankings that are different than the ones listed right on the ESPN site for the final week of the season?

I used the final BCS ranking. You forgot that winning a conference championship is going to be part of the selection process. Both Boise St and Stanford didn't win their conference championship in 2011.

I think the biggest thing really is when a team from a conf. like the MW has a really good year, they get the opportunity to go to a great bowl game. If Wyoming goes undef. this year and wins the MW and beats Texas and Boise St. - they should be able to go to the Fiesta Bowl and play another deserving team. I think we all want that, even Boise St. wants that opportunity.

Now if Pokes go 10-2 and loses those 2 games, then we don't expect to go to something like the Fiesta bowl. Certainly a 8-4 team does not deserve to go to a major bowl game regardless of what conf their in.

I think the biggest thing really is when a team from a conf. like the MW has a really good year, they get the opportunity to go to a great bowl game. If Wyoming goes undef. this year and wins the MW and beats Texas and Boise St. - they should be able to go to the Fiesta Bowl and play another deserving team. I think we all want that, even Boise St. wants that opportunity. Now if Pokes go 10-2 and loses those 2 games, then we don't expect to go to something like the Fiesta bowl. Certainly a 8-4 team does not deserve to go to a major bowl game regardless of what conf their in.

There will be 6 bowl games that the commitee will select for. That's 12 teams total that will get selected by the commitee. The top 4 of the 12 teams will be playoff teams. That will leave 8 teams to choose for the remaining big bowls that are selected for.

With no AQ status for any of these bowls games, I would say that the MWC has a good shot at one of the big bowl games if they don't make the play-offs.

There will be 6 bowl games that the commitee will select for. That's 12 teams total that will get selected by the commitee. The top 4 of the 12 teams will be playoff teams. That will leave 8 teams to choose for the remaining big bowls that are selected for.

With no AQ status for any of these bowls games, I would say that the MWC has a good shot at one of the big bowl games if they don't make the play-offs.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

I used the final BCS ranking. You forgot that winning a conference championship is going to be part of the selection process. Both Boise St and Stanford didn't win their conference championship in 2011.

first I like your overall thread and I agree with what I think your premise is that the MWC does very well

but the final BCS rankings would have been from after the bowl games where as one week prior to that would have been after the CCGs and those would be the rankings that would have been used to see who was the top 4 teams

if it needs to be the top 4 teams that won their conferences as well then my list will have errors too, but your list using the final rankings overall would be incorrect because those are after the BCS games which would be what the "playoffs" are now

again I like the thread and I agree with what I believe you are showing that the MWC looks very good, but using the final rankings is not what the teams would actually have been because that is after the bowl games