Coastie

Sad news. This is coastie's son posting.

Holy cow. I've not been on here for quite a while. This is shocking news.

Troy, God Bless you and your family and thank you for letting all of us know of your father's passing. I've just finished reading the 9 pages of this thread and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm truly impressed by the MWCboard family for stepping up and supporting Tim and his famiy. I've met quite a few people from the board in person and am always pleasantly surprised by the instant friendships we've been able to form. I always looked forward to meeting Tim someday but unfortunately that meeting will be delayed by some time.

It sounds like the service for your father was a wonderful tribute. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about your father and please tell your mother, sister and family how truly sorry I (we) are for your loss and know that your father made a positive impact in many, many ways.

MWC Champions 1999, 2003, 2004, 2008

Fiesta Bowl Champions 2005

Sugar Bowl Champions 2009

No one can tell you what will happen when something like this happens. No one will tell you to save voicemails because you will end up treasuring a recording of someone's voice more than anything you own. No one will tell you that the "5 stages of grief" is utter nonsense and you can go through every stage and more numerous times in a day. Let alone how many times you'll go through all of them in a week or a month. No one will tell you that instead of the good, you will focus on the negative/stupid things you said or did to someone you love Even though that stuff is so insignificant, they wouldn't remember it happening anyway. No one will tell you what you need to do to keep your loved ones from hurting. And all I want to do is help my mom and sister and I'm not sure how.

Troy, I am overwhelmed with remorse on the absolutely stupid things that I've said to my father. He passed 7 years ago, July 4th 2005. I'm pretty sure he knew that I loved him but those thoughts still haunt me today. He was a very good man and the best father a person could have...

Troy, I am sorry for your loss.

Your last post made this grown man cry...at work. Good thing I'm a pothead with Clear Eyes in my desk drawer. :-)

I haven't spoken to either parent in several years. I'm going to pick the phone up tonight. Your words clearly impacted the man at the service to call his father. It did the same for me. Thank you for showing me how stupid my pride was.

Troy here. I'm sorry if this goes on and on but I just read all your posts again and I feel like I have something to say I guess. I wanted to post here because even though it was through a website you still knew my dad and respected him.

It's after midnight and officially 7/5/2012. Exactly one month since my father passed. Is it easier? No. The fact of the matter is I still miss my dad and I would do anything to have him back. Growing up I heard stories about my great-grandfather Roscoe and my great-uncle Art and every story about them ended with "I wish they were alive when you were born" or "I wish they had lived long enough to meet you". And now when I have kids I will have to say the same thing to them about their grandfather.

No one can tell you what will happen when something like this happens. No one will tell you to save voicemails because you will end up treasuring a recording of someone's voice more than anything you own. No one will tell you that the "5 stages of grief" is utter nonsense and you can go through every stage and more numerous times in a day. Let alone how many times you'll go through all of them in a week or a month. No one will tell you that instead of the good, you will focus on the negative/stupid things you said or did to someone you love. Even though that stuff is so insignificant, they wouldn't remember it happening anyway. No one will tell you what you need to do to keep your loved ones from hurting. And all I want to do is help my mom and sister and I'm not sure how.

My dad Tim would have been 54 on July 15. Only 54. I'm 25 and I feel awful thinking this but I have to wonder if I only have 29 years left. 29 years to get married and have children and somehow tell my family everything I want to and need to before I'm gone. 29 years to make an impact like my dad did. He was a sergeant at Shutter Creek Correctional Institute in North Bend, Oregon and despite the stereotypes you see on tv and in movies, even the inmates mourned the loss of my dad. That's how respected he was.

On the day of the service the state sent officers from all around the state to man the prison so that every staff member my dad worked with could make it. The security manager of shutter creek is a member of the Department of Corrections Honor Guard and he is the one who played taps. We had a photo tribute that played and he later said that he was glad he saw it after the service because if he had seen it during the service, he wouldn't have been able to play it and make it through the whole song. And soon I will post the photo tribute video here so all of you can see it too. His coworkers said it was great to see photos of him throughput his life and I'm sure you would all appreciate it too. I'll also post my eulogy. My mom's cousin even asked me for a copy of it. I guess what I said was pretty good.

I'm gonna end it here but before I do I wanna tell a story from the day of my dad's memorial service. I said my eulogy then other people said wonderful things and after taps and the 21 gun salute the service was over. And on the way to the reception I got separated from my mom and sister (the reception hall shared a parking lot with the chapel) because I got bombarded by all my dad's coworkers and former coworkers who came from all over who just wanted to talk to me. Why me instead of my mom or sister? I don't know. My dad and I had a similar personality so maybe that was why. We even laugh the same. But to be honest, I couldn't tell you exactly who I talked to because it was all a blur. But one guy stood out. He was an officer at shutter creek, not much older than me and I guess my eulogy hit him hard becuase he told me with tears in his eyes "I wish I had a relationship with my dad like you did with yours". I just looked at him and said "Is he still alive?" He said "yes" so I just said "Then I think when you get home, you need to call your dad and tell him that" and he was bawling and said "You know, I think I will".

So if you're reading this (and I said this exact same thing in my eulogy) pick up the phone right now and call your parents, siblings, spouse, kids, grandparents, whoever you love. Just call them and tell them that you love them. Because my family found out the hard way that tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Troy, I was standing in your shoes a little more than 11 years ago. I was 20, and my dad was 48. And just about everything you posted I can relate to having been through it myself, from listening to recordings of his voice to wondering how much time you have left yourself. Now I know that everyone handles grief differently, but you have to believe me when I say that things will get better. As long as you stay true to the man that your father taught you to be, he lives on in you.

"UNLV is just really a four year junior college with a nice stadium for the basketball team" -Adam Carolla

trailer-park-taj-mahal.jpg

Hi everyone. It's Troy, I decided to make my own profile. I picked the name I did because someone called me that early on and it seemed right. And I felt the last post I did under my dad's profile should be the last one period.

But unfortunately I have more bad news. My future brother-in-law Dustin lost his dad, Skip, yesterday to a sudden heart attack. Not even two months apart and my sister and her fiancee both lost their dads. I just feel awful. And we were only a month away from their wedding too.

I hate to give you guys bad news but I felt you all should know.

coastguardday-1.jpg

Lil Coastie: Sorry about your loss. I don't sign on very often so I just found out. One of your previous posts really tugged at my heartstrings. I hope you and your family are doing better. Your father will never be forgotten he had much to say on this board, I will miss his comments.

Holy crap...I slide onto this board for the first time in...two years? Longer? and this is the first thing i see.

Coastie was one of the few posters that everyone respected and was respectful of everyone.

He was the force of civility on this board.

I can't imagine what it must be like here now that he's gone.

My condolences to the family.

Hi everyone. Troy here again. Just wanted to say that I've got some good news for a change. My mom and I just got back from Portland, Oregon from my sister's wedding. My sister Beth married Dustin in a little ceremony in their back yard with me officiating after getting ordained online, lol.

The whole day I was asking for a sign that my dad was there and after the ceremony when they were getting final photos taken in front of their house I got one. I don't know if my dad ever mentioned her but we had a scottish terrier named Jett and she was his baby. lol. She was always around him and he even picked out a recliner because it had enough room for the two of them to sit togther. Unfortunately Jett passed away a few years ago. And my mom and I haven't seen one since we lost her. Until the day of the wedding and a couple was walking their scotty dog in front of my sister's house. And their dog came up to us and acted so friendly it was like having Jett back. My grandma loved Jett too and she was the one who saw the dog and had the couple stop and come back and showed her to us. My mom cried a bit and my grandma felt bad but my mom just said "don't feel bad, that just confirmed for me that Tim was here". I'm usually not one for signs but having a scottish terrier like Jett, my dad's favorite dog, show up seems to be too big of one for me to ignore.

We have a photo tribute that the funeral home put together for us that I'm gonna put on youtube for family that couldn't come and when I do I'll post it here. His coworkers said it was nice seeing a different side to him and I'm sure you guys would too.

I still miss my dad. And I always will. But with the help of my friends, family, and you guys, it's getting easier.

coastguardday-1.jpg