Warbow

Hawaii travel subs

It's only a matter of time until the MWC figures out that these travel subs that Hawaii is paying will hurt Hawaii's football program on the playing field. We're to the point of having to schedule "body-bag" games on the road just to make ends meet financially. Soon the recruiting budget will get slashed and we'll end up getting the bottom of the barrel recruits. These body bag games plus left over recruits will eventually put Hawaii in the bottom of the MWC standing. I hope the MWC is not counting on Hawaii's wins-loss records for its future AQ status because paying these travel subs will eventually turn Hawaii into a New Mexico or UNLV on the playing field.

We're trying to fill a hole in our 2012 schedule because of a Texas St cancelation. It's going to be either another FCS team at home or a body bag game on the road for 1 million.

Warriors willing to go anywhere

The million-dollar price tag comes about because money will be a concern in 2012 since UH must underwrite travel by visiting teams from the MWC and Big West as a condition of conference membership. UH estimates it will have to pay about $1.2 million in subsidies. UH is responsible for its own expenses when it plays on the road in conference games.

Looks like these travel subs are going to turn out to be a lose-lose situation for the MWC and Hawaii.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

"In an effort to fill out a 2012 schedule that was left with a late-season puka by the cancellation of Texas State last month, athletic director Jim Donovan said he will consider playing most anywhere."

How is this a travel subsidy issue?

Now we have to play body bag road games to re-coup the cost of travel subs...

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Nice attitude.

You guys would be livid if this was your school having to do this to make ends meet.

I would be livid if my school accepted a shitty deal that they didn't have the budget for...

Hawaii didn't have to accept the invitation to the Big West and MW. You came in knowing the financial impacts and you jumped anyways. You can always go back and play with Utah State, SJSU, La Tech, and a bunch of FCS schools. I'm sure they will take you.

Same could be said to you Bronco fans who's crying about the blue uniform issue.

Don't go crying about how Hawaii does nothing for the MWC's AQ status after we join New Mexico and UNLV as bottom feeders due to finacial cuts that effect Hawaii's performance.

I would be livid if my school accepted a shitty deal that they didn't have the budget for...

You're supposed to be partners in a conference and help the group out towards mutual benefit.

That's not the case at all here. The teams traveling get all the benefit, and Hawaii gets none, besides affiliation.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

You're supposed to be partners in a conference and help the group out towards mutual benefit.

That's not the case at all here. The teams traveling get all the benefit, and Hawaii gets none, besides affiliation.

They don't get a benefit? How about having a home slate that includes SDSU/AFA/BSU/Nevada/CSUF/etc...instead of Lamar/USU/NMSU/Idaho/etc...

Spare me the "partners" talk. Those days in this conference are long gone thanks to Utah/TCU/BYU...

All I can say is, I hope the MWC is prepared to support another bottom feeder school like they done for San Diego St, UNLV and New Mexico.

All I can say is, I hope the MWC is prepared to support another bottom feeder school like they done for San Diego St, UNLV and New Mexico.

We're used to it. We supported you pretty much all throughout the 80s and 90s...

Long-term, Hawaii will be better off financially. People may not see it right now, but you have to consider what they have now versus what they would have had staying pat in the WAC or maybe going independent. Gate receipts alone with MWC teams versus the remaining WAC teams will have an impact year after year. If Hawaii can only draw say 20k people with the non-Fresno/Boise/Nevada (what's left of WAC now) WAC opponents but can average say 30-35k with MWC opponents over a full season, that alone is a significant difference in revenue and that doesn't even factor in competitive and recruiting benefits from playing higher quality opponents. Averaging say 10k more people with for example an average per person rate of $25 adds up fast over numerous conference home games. ($250,000 gross income for one single game of getting to play Air Force versus LA Tech for example) Obviously, Hawaii would not keep all that revenue but you see the point. Plus, the MWC affiliation also impacts future television and sponsorship deals long-term as there is more value in the actual product - the football team - being put on the field. The alternative with the WAC would have been home games with very little appeal and Hawaii may very well have lost close to or over seven figures just in gate receipts alone versus what they may get now.

The 1.2 million figure is not small, but at the same time, the football team would essentially be finished both from a financial and competitive standpoint without the MWC. Maybe they could go independent armed with a decent TV deal but that is so much more risky than the course they chose. I personally feel the new AD has run the department absolutely beautifully since taking over for Frazier, and this year turning a surplus of over 300k is no small feat considering this athletic department and its challenges. Hawaii was hitting seven figure losses each year (only the Sugar Bowl year recently had a surplus), and to turn it into a 300k surplus that quickly speaks volumes to me.

Isnt it a mutual benefit though? Considering Hawaii wasnt part of the MWC's original plans..

Hawaii joins a beter conference, and it doesn't cost MWC teams an arm and a leg to travel there. Hawaii also receives more tv money with their PPV deal as well.

Are you living in a cave somewhere? What PPV money you talking about? Do you know something that we don't know?

Besides if Hawaii is allowed to continue the PPV plans, it has nothing to do with travel subs. It's between Hawaii and the PPV carrier. No way should that be used as a bargaining chip by the MWC. Same with the naming of the Aloha stadium field rights to Hawaiian airlines and our Under armour deal.

The Pot calling the Kettle......... :wacko:

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

Long-term, Hawaii will be better off financially. People may not see it right now, but you have to consider what they have now versus what they would have had staying pat in the WAC or maybe going independent. Gate receipts alone with MWC teams versus the remaining WAC teams will have an impact year after year. If Hawaii can only draw say 20k people with the non-Fresno/Boise/Nevada (what's left of WAC now) WAC opponents but can average say 30-35k with MWC opponents over a full season, that alone is a significant difference in revenue and that doesn't even factor in competitive and recruiting benefits from playing higher quality opponents. Averaging say 10k more people with for example an average per person rate of $25 adds up fast over numerous conference home games. ($250,000 gross income for one single game of getting to play Air Force versus LA Tech for example) Obviously, Hawaii would not keep all that revenue but you see the point. Plus, the MWC affiliation also impacts future television and sponsorship deals long-term as there is more value in the actual product - the football team - being put on the field. The alternative with the WAC would have been home games with very little appeal and Hawaii may very well have lost close to or over seven figures just in gate receipts alone versus what they may get now.

The 1.2 million figure is not small, but at the same time, the football team would essentially be finished both from a financial and competitive standpoint without the MWC. Maybe they could go independent armed with a decent TV deal but that is so much more risky than the course they chose. I personally feel the new AD has run the department absolutely beautifully since taking over for Frazier, and this year turning a surplus of over 300k is no small feat considering this athletic department and its challenges. Hawaii was hitting seven figure losses each year (only the Sugar Bowl year recently had a surplus), and to turn it into a 300k surplus that quickly speaks volumes to me.

Umm, lets see what we got here.

La Tech, Utah St, New Mexico St and Idaho versus New Mexico, Wyoming, UNLV, Colorado St and San Diego St. Ya I'm sure the attendance will go up, ya right!

Long term the attendance will go down because Hawaii won't be able to field a competitive team on the field.