Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofNPackFan

Utah trying to sue BCS again?

Thus not tax exempt. Again not paying taxes is very different from exempt from taxes and has a different set of rules to live by. I think there is a reason it has not already been done.

Yeah, if you leave the NCAA and try to force players to play only for scholarships, they will try to form a player union to stop being expolited. Especially since they know that the organization was formed just to maximize sports profits. Being in the NCAA provides at least a veneer of amateurism, which helps you to avoid this issue of paying players and player unions.

I wouldn't blame them for wanting salaries, marketing deals, etc. if they are employed by a for profit institution.

Posted Image

Thus not tax exempt. Again not paying taxes is very different from exempt from taxes and has a different set of rules to live by. I think there is a reason it has not already been done. It still might happen one day but I doubt they are planning on being tax exempt and they will have to cease playing all non member schools for anti trust reasons. How would Texas like only having 6 home games?

The ivy league does not give athletic scholarships nor claim Tax benefits based on its sports programs. Which have nothing to do with its core mission.

GM was in bankruptcy. Different rules. Better answer would be to call GE ;)

First 6 home games? Revenue sharing, maybe? Yay! home and away games vs LSU is different than north Texas. We will figure it out. Increase TV revenue should increase dramatically. I'd rather have 6 home games vs LSU, NC, and so on than 7-8 vs N. Texas and UNLV.

GE.... I can't believe I kept typing GM, I knew I was typing something wrong. GE i what I meant.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

Yeah, if you leave the NCAA and try to force players to play only for scholarships, they will try to form a player union to stop being expolited. Especially since they know that the organization was formed just to maximize sports profits. Being in the NCAA provides at least a veneer of amateurism, which helps you to avoid this issue of paying players and player unions.

I wouldn't blame them for wanting salaries, marketing deals, etc. if they are employed by a for profit institution.

That is what I would do.

Yes, because the USCAA is so different than the NCAA. It was formed to maximize research cooperation for its core members. Athletics? What are you talking about? We just felt that we would bring our sports teams along in order to increase cooperation at all levels and create unity.

In the end it just doesn't matter because my university will get whatever it wants and be on the inside on any incarnation of whatever conference it chooses and whatever incarnation of the NCAA or BCS that arises. Our ego only got bigger with the Pac-10, SEC and Big 10 trying to get us to join their conference.

Look, why don't you just be quiet before my university buys yours and closes it just for spite?

You said revenues.... so increase game day expenses, you can increase expenses that factor into that matrix. They will find them.

NO I said tax exempt status. Not turning a profit and not paying taxes is a very different legal ballgame than being a tax exempt non profit institution.

Just because you can hire a lawyer that can gain you inclusion doesn't mean they cant hire a team to get what they want. I mean they haven;t form an illegal cartel for 13 years right in the national government face and laughed at all of the other schools. They haven't told the NCAA when to discipline players (after bowl games) if they allowed them to discipline team at all. They haven't stopped the NCAA from controlling TV contracts.

They are pretty powerless.

Yes, because the USCAA is so different than the NCAA. It was formed to maximize research cooperation for its core members. Athletics? What are you talking about? We just felt that we would bring our sports teams along in order to increase cooperation at all levels and create unity.

but since the sports will not be a core part of your research business they will not enjoy the tax exempt status. NO way you can argue that football is required for research.

Then once you get a union, you get free agency. Athletes could have more transfer rights to go to different schools.

You would have to open your books and athletes could demand a certain percentage of the profits.

They could demand an end to "unfair" rules that forces them to retire after their senior year.

Having to pay players would throw a big monkey wrench into this huge profit scheme.

Leaving the NCAA is a rabbit hole that goes pretty deep.

Posted Image

NO I said tax exempt status. Not turning a profit and not paying taxes is a very different legal ballgame than being a tax exempt non profit institution.

One of your posts was confusing.... so I misunderstood. The point I will continue to stand by is that they will find a way to 1) either not turn a profit and not pay taxes or 2) be tax exempt.

They will do it. I have no doubt. There is a matrix that non profits have revenues and expenses in that they would figure out how to manipulate and retain tax exempt status.

but since the sports will not be a core part of your research business they will not enjoy the tax exempt status. NO way you can argue that football is required for research.

They will find a way. I have no doubt. They WILL find a way to manipulate the matrix to make it so. How does the NCAA do it? Well, there is one organization to copy. It's not that hard. I don't really see it being so.

Then once you get a union, you get free agency. Athletes could have more transfer rights to go to different schools.

You would have to open your books and athletes could demand a certain percentage of the profits.

They could demand an end to "unfair" rules that forces them to retire after their senior year.

Having to pay players would throw a big monkey wrench into this huge profit scheme.

Leaving the NCAA is a rabbit hole that goes pretty deep.

Yep there is NO way around it. Damn, these large conference are in so much crap. They owe EVERYTHING to you. I mean everything. They can't survive. They can't do anything. YOu have them. I mean YOU could have had playoffs in the 60s, but you were nice and let them build up their money and power and let them raid you and destroy your seasons worth, just so when you did destroy them you would smash them. The most brilliant plan ever. I mean let them have the NCAA under their thumb and then when they least expect it, you smash them with your thumb that they were under this whole time.

They will find a way. I have no doubt. They WILL find a way to manipulate the matrix to make it so. How does the NCAA do it? Well, there is one organization to copy. It's not that hard. I don't really see it being so.

Oh, I have no doubt that you and your BCS buddies will find a way to screw us. It just won't be by leaving the NCAA.

Posted Image

Oh, I have no doubt that you and your BCS buddies will find a way to screw us. It just won't be by leaving the NCAA.

Well as long as you agree that we will screw you.

One of your posts was confusing.... so I misunderstood. The point I will continue to stand by is that they will find a way to 1) either not turn a profit and not pay taxes or 2) be tax exempt.

They will do it. I have no doubt. There is a matrix that non profits have revenues and expenses in that they would figure out how to manipulate and retain tax exempt status.

I agree that they may find a way to not pay taxes. However being a profit based business raises some other issues and I don't see a way around that one. That may be why the split has not happened already frankly.

If it gets too crazy in court they may decide to take the risk and leave the NCAA. But their athletic programs will look and function very differently than they do today. Being a public for profit institution will have some major drawbacks. Time will tell if it gets bad enough that they will decide to pull the trigger.

In some ways I almost hope it does happen even though Wyo would not be in a top 64 in any way. I think we make a top 86.

we don't disagree it might happen. It might.

Agree. Just the threat of leaving may causse the spineless NCAA to begin to redefine an FBS a school, which needs done anyway, and probably force quite a few schools to drop a division. The top five conferences will keep two maybe three non AQ conferences just for the extra home games their fans demand and keep a pittance of money flowing just enough to keep them alive.

Not much will change other than fewer FBS schools to share the revenue with and more $$ to the AQ schools.

just my hunch anyway. It may play out with a split but I think it has to get real bad before they play that card.

People love to watch the BEST amateurs compete (Olympics), but they don't really like to see second rate professional athletes. Ever wonder why arena football, USFL, and XFL aren't still around?

Quick News Flash: Olympic Athletes are not amateurs anymore and haven't been for about twenty years.

The BCS bowl games are not even in the ballpark with the TV money that is being thrown around. The Big East schools and the ACC schools are lucky to break even on a BCS bowl game. The really big bucks is in a playoff. The hold up is the B10 and the Pac12 with their Rose Bowl game. That is about it. I think the SEC, B12, BE and the ACC would love to see a playoff and would not even consider leaving the NCAA. The crap teams in the BCS conferences don't care one way or the other about a playoff as they will not make the playoff as they don't make the BCS games. If they get the same share as they do now, why would they care? Conference credits like March Madness should take care of those bottom feeders.

The top 60 forming a non NCAA division is a non-starter. That would mean that only about 30 of those schools would have winning records and half would lose a coach or AD every year. Those 60 can't be that stupid. The top teams make their winning records on cupcakes and they have no desire to play each other every week. If Ohio State wanted a tough schedule, they would have one now. If you think the NCAA is crooked, just think about a governing body run by those at Auburn, Ohio State, USC etc. I have to laugh just thinking about it. Those with the least bit of integrity would be the new bottom feeders.

I don't think the networks want a playoff as it would be a bidding war and only one would get the contract and it would be expensive and would require that they get of their butts and sell the ads. ESPN is pretty happy with the current deal as it is cheap and the profit margins huge.