Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pelado

Kawhi - does he usually play the "3" spot?

basically 3 most of the time. Carlwell and shelton give blows to white and thomas for the 4/5, some lineups go small, but not a lot; when he's on the court I'd guesstimate over the course of the year well over 3/4 of the time he's the 3

i_love_suds_mug-p168021735772838352enw9p

What percentage of the time does Kawhi play at each position? Is he pretty much always the 3?

The Aztecs offense and defense isn't really defined into "spots" so much. I guess if he has to be pegged it is mostly 3 with some 4 and some 1. 3-75%/4-10%/1-15%.

Aztecs offense: Freedom within a framework.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

The Aztecs offense and defense isn't really defined into "spots" so much. I guess if he has to be pegged it is mostly 3 with some 4 and some 1. 3-75%/4-10%/1-15%.

Aztecs offense: Freedom within a framework.

He runs point? Impressive skill set.

He runs point? Impressive skill set.

He'll bring the ball up more than point in the half court, but DJ will slide to 2 playing off the ball and Leonard will initiate the offense the same way DJ does a handful of possessions. He never really plays a '2' as DJ is either 1 or 2 the times Leonard initiates the offense, and one of tapley or rahon (some times both in a 3 guard set which are the few times Leonard plays 4ish, but also happens when he gets a breather) are almost always on the court

I would think, as someone else suggested in a different thread, that Abouo would be the best defensive threat against Kawhi because of Abouo's overall athleticism and strength. Collinsworth is athletic, but not nearly as strong. Either way, it's still a very tough guard.

OK, then it will probably fall primarily to Abouo and Collinsworth to guard him. If that was the game plan last game, I'm surprised that they only had 3 combined fouls last time.

None of the Aztecs get fouled much. Although Fisher made getting fouled a point of emphasis after the CSU (close) game. The Aztecs have been getting to the line more since then. Kawhi gets fouled mostly after offensive rebounds.

OK, then it will probably fall primarily to Abouo and Collinsworth to guard him. If that was the game plan last game, I'm surprised that they only had 3 combined fouls last time.

they let both teams play; in the environment and with what's at stake, I would be surprised (or it would be a douche crew that wants to put a stamp on the game) if it's not the same deal and the teams bang a bit without fouls being called.

I don't worry about how he scores. His scoring won't destroy your team. I worry about him getting 7 offensive boards in the game.

I looked it up - Y 4 Ever was talking about Charles' sole duty being to box out Kawhi. If Charles can win that battle half the time, we'll do really well in this game. I have much less faith in Collinsworth or Rogers having the strength and leverage to win that battle very often.

I looked it up - Y 4 Ever was talking about Charles' sole duty being to box out Kawhi. If Charles can win that battle half the time, we'll do really well in this game. I have much less faith in Collinsworth or Rogers having the strength and leverage to win that battle very often.

Exactly. Have Abouo guard Leonard, and his primary responsibility is to use his big, physical frame and athleticism to keep Leonard off the glass - especially the O-glass. I think that's where he gets a big % of his points is off of the O glass. For BYU to win, they must limit O rebounds, especially Leonard's.

Exactly. Have Abouo guard Leonard, and his primary responsibility is to use his big, physical frame and athleticism to keep Leonard off the glass - especially the O-glass. I think that's where he gets a big % of his points is off of the O glass. For BYU to win, they must limit O rebounds, especially Leonard's.

How is Abouo at stopping dribble penetration? It is the same skill set. Kawhi usually crashes the boards from the outside running around the defender, the same as a player would with the ball. The more BYU tries to stop the Aztecs Offensive rebounds, the less fast breaks they will have. In the first meeting, BYU had 4 fast break points. That is well below their average. The Aztecs getting 18 offensive rebounds had a lot to do with that. Not only did that stop fast breaks on those rebounds but it also forced BYU to concentrate on rebounding first, not running first.

How is Abouo at stopping dribble penatration? It is the same skill set. Kawhi usually crashes the boards from the outside running around the defender, the same as a player would with the ball.

Pretty good. He's probably the best on the team at stopping the dribble drive, with the possible exception of Emery. Even so, they are not the same skill set, even though there are similarities.

How is Abouo at stopping dribble penatration? It is the same skill set. Kawhi usually crashes the boards from the outside running around the defender, the same as a player would with the ball.

Abouo is a great on ball defender. He isn't a very good offensive player and sometimes makes dumb mistakes and takes dumb shots. He will need to play his normal good defense and shoot well is we have are going to have a chance.

How is Abouo at stopping dribble penetration? It is the same skill set. Kawhi usually crashes the boards from the outside running around the defender, the same as a player would with the ball. The more BYU tries to stop the Aztecs Offensive rebounds, the less fast breaks they will have. In the first meeting, BYU had 4 fast break points. That is well below their average. The Aztecs getting 18 offensive rebounds had a lot to do with that. Not only did that stop fast breaks on those rebounds but it also forced BYU to concentrate on rebounding first, not running first.

But BYU also showed in that game that they don't have to get fast break points to be effective on offense, whereas SDSU is somewhat dependent on offensive boards to fuel their scoring.

SDSU didn't crash the boards to the same degree as they usually did to help limit those fast break chances.