Warbow

Hawaii's "other"sports

You don't get it.

As Bill King of Rivals Radio puts it, the test for whether a school should be offered to join a conference is whether it will help pull the cart or whether it will just ride in the cart. So whether Hawaii made money on volleyball and baseball is irrelevant. The question is whether those of us in the MWC will make money from admitting Hawaii for sports other than football or whether it will instead LOSE us money to add you for other sports and the obvious answer is we will LOSE money.

Actually I do get it. If those Hawaii "other" sports can be used to get enough of an increase to the MWC TV deal to off set the travel costs then I say it's worth looking into. Not saying it will but I'm also not saying it shouldn't be looked at.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

If it were up to me I'd burn it down and start over and 3 of those schools would not make the cut.

I'm curious...excluding BYU, Utah and TCU....what would your ideal MWC look like?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Believe it or not, Hawaii actually made money on it's volleyball and baseball teams last year. Our basketball programs is taking a positve turn. The new coach for mens basketball (Gib Arnold) is the real deal and is a great recruiter also. Currently 4-0 and improving. Only time will tell. These programs will surly get the Big West some kind of increase to their ESPN deal.

Source? I have trouble believing Hawaii made money on baseball.

3164 per game x 27 home games @ avg $8 (generous?) per ticket is $683,424. Then lets assume, probably also generous, that they made about the same on food, beverage, etc... for $1.3MM or so in game revenues. I am sure Hawaii has some radio or TV broadcasting revenue from baseball as well, but I have no idea how much that would be.

Then for expenses you have 11.7 total cost of attendance scholarships, coaches salaries, recruiting expenses, game day operations expenses, then at least 3 trips to the mainland.

Given all this, I would assume that Hawaii was fairly close on baseball to breaking even but still suspect they were in the red a bit.

LR5h5.St.58.jpg

I know for travel wise, it's not a good idea to include Hawaii's other sports but now that the MWC TV deal is in an re-negotiation phase it might be a good idea to also propose Hawaii's Men's and Women's volleyball, baseball and women softball teams as part of the package.

The women's volleyball team has just come off of a WAC title and final four appearance. Currently at #3 with another sure final four appearance.

The Softball team was one win from playing for the NCAA champhionship last year and have most of their starters returning. Another sure bet to return to the college world series.

The Baseball team won the WAC last year and just missed entry into the college world series. The team should be better this year.

The men's volleyball team is always in the running for a national championship.

I know football drives the bus as far as TV deals go but why would you just sell the bus driver when you got a few attractive passengers you could sell also?

Hawaii's programs are as good as advertised but Hawaii makes a terrible travel partner. You can charter bus from San Diego to Fresno in about 4 hours. Same from Las Vegas to Reno. This will dramatically reduce travel costs for teams coming west in minor sports. How long and how expensive to get from Boise to Hawaii. The MWC has to find a non football playing travel partner for Boise. My preference would be Gonzaga but other options exist.

Who would you add, assuming that the bigger conference such as the Big 10 & Big 12 & SEC would not be interested in an affliations?

I'd drop anyone below 70 (as in higher) in the rankings and skim off the cream of the non AQs'.

It wouldn't really be mountain west

That would be a scorched earth kinda thing to nail an AQ slot before it all comes apart and we go to super conferences. I think that move may happen soon enough that all this effort to get an AQ slot is going to be wasted. By the time we get AQ there won't be a BCS.

Tend to agree with Tressel who in a recent call in said he felt CFB would be in a position to move to playoffs within or at 5 years.

One of the Final Five..........

I'd drop anyone below 70 (as in higher) in the rankings and skim off the cream of the non AQs'.

That would be a scorched earth kinda thing to nail an AQ slot before it all comes apart and we go to super conferences. I think that move may happen soon enough that all this effort to get an AQ slot is going to be wasted. By the time we get AQ there won't be a BCS.

Tend to agree with Tressel who in a recent call in said he felt CFB would be in a position to move to playoffs within or at 5 years.

But that still does not answer who those teams would be? The only thing I see with that is your cut off is 70%. There is not one conference with all it's members at or over 70%. Closest conference would be SEC with 7 out of 12 teams with 70% winning and that's counting all games not the conference only games. So those number count cupcake games.

I am interested to see what you conference would look like with the assumptions that those AQ conference would not be interested?

I understand that you want an even conference competition wise but the fact is somebody has to have a losing record. Grant it not many school if any at this time can compete with Boise, we would just hope to be competitive. Or in Fresno State's case we hope to score a field goal.

Yeah I am kinda thinking the same thing... We are spinning our wheels for AQ and once we get to that point the rules will more than likely change leaving us out and making it difficult once again.

LMAO...Excluding TCU, Utah and BYU, I guess that's leaves Boise St and maybe Air Force. You're better off as an independent.

Look, you keep saying this stupid chit, but this has changed over the years. And who's to say you won't be in that boat five years from now?

New Mexico was in the top 70 three years ago, and now is not. Nevada and Fresno were not in the top 70 as recent as 2008. Nevada even last year was 70th.

CSU was top thirty for the first five years of this conference.

This is just ridiculous, disrespectful crap that you keep spewing that doesn't have a place on a conference board. This is what other threads are talking about. Boise fans think they're going to come here and start running the place and calling all the shots. Utter horseshit.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

LOL

Lets not keep BYU's non-revs in conference, whom they fund at a high enough level to consistently win and compete for conference titles, but lets bring Hawaii's on board.

Good idea.

Idiot.

Lets me correct it for you.

Lets keep BYU's non-revs in conference and give away TV rights to it, whom they fund at a high enough level to consistently win and compete for conference titles, but lets not bring Hawaii's on board with full TV rights.

Good idea.

Idiot.

Lets me correct it for you.

Lets keep BYU's non-revs in conference and give away TV rights to it, whom they fund at a high enough level to consistently win and compete for conference titles, but lets not bring Hawaii's on board with full TV rights.

Good idea.

Idiot.

If BYU's non-revs were in the conference, they would fall under the conference rules.

Idiot.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

If BYU's non-revs were in the conference, they would fall under the conference rules.

Idiot.

And that my friend is why BYU bolted...

Idiot!

You're right.

It was all about the exposure of our women's soccer team and high end cross country team.

<zing>

You're right.

And I'm sure the WCC and ESPN & BYU's TV network will provide that...LMAO!