Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pelado

It's basketball season, right?

Posted this in another thread, so sorry if you've already seen it:

So all this talk of historical tournament wins got me thinking about how the new MWC (less BYU, Utah; plus BSU, UNR, Fresno) compares with the WCC (plus BYU) in all-time tournament victories:

New MWC: 63

New WCC: 72

Obviously, this isn't very meaningful because 21 of those WCC victories are from a Bill Russell-era San Francisco team.

I was a little surprised, though, that the only WCC to never have won an NCAA tournament game is Portland. Every other WCC team has at least one win - even San Diego. That's one more win that San Diego State (though they'll probably get one this year), Air Force, or Boise State, the only MWC teams without at least one win.

USF wasn't only dominant in the late fifties. USF was also very good in the early eighties when Bill Cartright and the shooting guard whose name escapes me (Quentin somebody) who led the NCAA in scoring one year also played there. That said, USF BB has been bad for many years.

Same for Pepperdine, as Philip said. The Waves haven't been close to as good as they were in the Dennis Johnson days for a couple decades.

Same for Loyola Marymount too, which hasn't come close to the quality of the Hank Gathers team in many, many years.

And as the thread starter acknowledges, Portland has never been any good.

The fact is these small private schools simply don't have the alumni base to be maintain a high quality program decade after decade. Even Gonzaga figures to fall off once Mark Few is hired away by one of the true big boys of the sport as he inevitably will be.

Boom goes the dynamite.

USF wasn't only dominant in the late fifties. USF was also very good in the early eighties when Bill Cartright and the shooting guard whose name escapes me (Quentin somebody) who led the NCAA in scoring one year also played there. That said, USF BB has been bad for many years.

Same for Pepperdine, as Philip said. The Waves haven't been close to as good as they were in the Dennis Johnson days for a couple decades.

Same for Loyola Marymount too, which hasn't come close to the quality of the Hank Gathers team in many, many years.

The fact is these small private schools simply don't have the alumni base to be maintain a high quality program decade after decade. Even Gonzaga figures to fall off once Mark Few is hired away by one of the true big boys of the sport as he inevitably will be.

The only part I would disagree with is Gonzaga. They are similar to Boise football in the fact that while their current coach has taken them to even greater heights than before, he is merely the latest in a line of coaches that have had significant success in Spokane. I think they carry a brand recognition now that will allow them to succeed after Few, but fortunately for them he doesn't appear to be looking for ways out (he could have had a PAC-10 job at any time over the past 5-6 years).

This is a different USF and Pepperdine teams. While WCC has had more success in tourney of late, MWC has been better conference because bottom of WCC has been as bad as any other conference with USF, Pepperdine, and Loyola Marymount

I agree. I was surprised the WCC had more overall wins. Many of those wins came before I was born. I was also surprised there are more MWC teams without a tourney win than WCC teams. The MWC has been better as of late. Once all the changes go through (Utah to Pac, BYU to WCC, Boise/UNR/Fresno to MWC), the MWC is still a better basketball conference, but not by a lot.

I was wondering if USF had any non-Russell success - thanks for the info.

I didn't say or acknowledge that Portland's never been any good. I just said they hadn't won any NCAA games - just like SDSU, Air Force, and Boise State. I'm of the opinion that SDSU and Air Force have had some pretty good teams in the last decade, even though it hasn't translated into NCAA tournament success.

Dude I'm sure you mean well with this but why post this here? It sure comes off bad and will only rub at a rash that is not even close to being healed.

A post in another thread about MWC teams that had never won NCAA tournament games got me wondering how many WCC teams fell into that category. I figured that if it had piqued my interest, it might be of interest to others here.

Quinton Dailey

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan