Jump to content
Destiny Dutch

Will San Diego State make as much as Boise State in the next MWC Media Deal?

Recommended Posts

First off, I have to say that SDSU fans have gotten the proverbial shaft. Each time SDSU thought they were going to be elevated, whether it was the Big East or the Pac 12, the league imploded.

However, San Diego State has always insisted they were worth 30+ Million dollars a year. I don't know where they got that idea but the SDSU AD was insisting that was the case.

Which brings me to the SDSU conundrum. The SDSU President was overheard saying that San Diego State would accept nothing less than "pro rata" to join a P4.

I think she probably feels foolish now for being so short-sighted in SDSU's quest for a P4 conference - but will that rigidity show up in the MWC TV talks too?

When the Big East died, Boise State got a promise from the MWC for a Sweetener in perpetuity. They will always make more money than San Diego State in the MWC.

Nevertheless, with the possibility of a reverse merger, SDSU may finally get to wear a certain "Pac 12" patch that they have always coveted.

That said, will pride stop SDSU from not getting their "pro rata" equivalent to Boise State? SDSU definitely isn't worth 30 million, so one has to wonder if they can accept what this next media deal will offer them with (or without) the Pac 2 involved.

If we know anything about the Aztecs it will be dramatic. The MWC/Pac 2 is the absolute highest level they can ever expect to be a part of. They need to understand that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 1:01 AM, Destiny Dutch said:

First off, I have to say that SDSU fans have gotten the proverbial shaft. Each time SDSU thought they were going to be elevated, whether it was the Big East or the Pac 12, the league imploded.

However, San Diego State has always insisted they were worth 30+ Million dollars a year. I don't know where they got that idea but the SDSU AD was insisting that was the case.

Which brings me to the SDSU conundrum. The SDSU President was overheard saying that San Diego State would accept nothing less than "pro rata" to join a P4.

I think she probably feels foolish now for being so short-sighted in SDSU's quest for a P4 conference - but will that rigidity show up in the MWC TV talks too?

When the Big East died, Boise State got a promise from the MWC for a Sweetener in perpetuity. They will always make more money than San Diego State in the MWC.

Nevertheless, with the possibility of a reverse merger, SDSU may finally get to wear a certain "Pac 12" patch that they have always coveted.

That said, will pride stop SDSU from not getting their "pro rata" equivalent to Boise State? SDSU definitely isn't worth 30 million, so one has to wonder if they can accept what this next media deal will offer them with (or without) the Pac 2 involved.

If we know anything about the Aztecs it will be dramatic. The MWC/Pac 2 is the absolute highest level they can ever expect to be a part of. They need to understand that.

Better question: Why does SDSU live rent-free in the heads so many Boise fans? And who has "always insisted that SDSU is worth $30+ million per year"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 5:39 PM, MissionTrails said:

Better question: Why does SDSU live rent-free in the heads so many Boise fans? And who has "always insisted that SDSU is worth $30+ million per year"?

That was a UNLV fan....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What incentive exists to pay Boise more in the next deal? I think I recall hair saying Boise won’t get more in the next deal, but he’s gone now.

SDSU screwed themselves by tying themselves to Boise.  They could’ve still gone to the big east and probably would’ve gotten picked up by the pac or big 12 at a later point.  The PAC screwed themselves by being complete nitwits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 8:24 PM, soupslam1 said:

If the PAC 2 merger with the MWC occurs I doubt any of the teams will get a bigger share than the others

BINGO!  What is with the unequal payments anyway?  If we are a conference then we should operate as a conference.  Boise can kick rocks if they don't like it.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

 

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2024 at 7:49 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What incentive exists to pay Boise more in the next deal? I think I recall hair saying Boise won’t get more in the next deal, but he’s gone now.

SDSU screwed themselves by tying themselves to Boise.  They could’ve still gone to the big east and probably would’ve gotten picked up by the pac or big 12 at a later point.  The PAC screwed themselves by being complete nitwits.

Depending on what happens with a reverse merger, but Boise's additional pay is extended in perpetuity per the contract when they rejoined the MW..  Moving to the PAC 12 could null that hopefully.  

Stunningly stupid for the other MW Presidents to agree to that clause.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2024 at 6:49 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What incentive exists to pay Boise more in the next deal? I think I recall hair saying Boise won’t get more in the next deal, but he’s gone now.

SDSU screwed themselves by tying themselves to Boise.  They could’ve still gone to the big east and probably would’ve gotten picked up by the pac or big 12 at a later point.  The PAC screwed themselves by being complete nitwits.

Well, I think that's because they split from what is now the AAC and UConn is the only school in the BE that plays D1 football (and barely at that). We would of course have stayed in the AAC for football and would have been a geographical outlier, with no traditional rivals. I agree with your PAC nitwits observation. I think everyone does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2024 at 1:29 PM, MissionTrails said:

Well, I think that's because they split from what is now the AAC and UConn is the only school in the BE that plays D1 football (and barely at that). We would of course have stayed in the AAC for football and would have been a geographical outlier, with no traditional rivals. I agree with your PAC nitwits observation. I think everyone does.

It would’ve been tough to get over the geographical outlier part initially, but the dam broke shortly after on that front anyway, now geography is effectively meaningless at the conference level. SDSU would’ve just been the first of many to do it. You’d have 3-4 ooc spots on schedule for whatever rivalries SDSU would’ve preferred.  With the way the aac took off the Aztecs (assuming they invested and played well) would have likely been in a much stronger realignment position in the late ‘10s.

Imagine if the moment OU/T announced they were leaving the PAC offered KU/KSU/OSU/TTU in expansion coupled with a new media deal (going to table early).  Things would be different today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2024 at 12:17 PM, Wyobraska said:

Depending on what happens with a reverse merger, but Boise's additional pay is extended in perpetuity per the contract when they rejoined the MW..  Moving to the PAC 12 could null that hopefully.  

Stunningly stupid for the other MW Presidents to agree to that clause.  

I understand it was written as such, gotta find a way to get out from under that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2024 at 10:02 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It would’ve been tough to get over the geographical outlier part initially, but the dam broke shortly after on that front anyway, now geography is effectively meaningless at the conference level. SDSU would’ve just been the first of many to do it. You’d have 3-4 ooc spots on schedule for whatever rivalries SDSU would’ve preferred.  With the way the aac took off the Aztecs (assuming they invested and played well) would have likely been in a much stronger realignment position in the late ‘10s.

Imagine if the moment OU/T announced they were leaving the PAC offered KU/KSU/OSU/TTU in expansion coupled with a new media deal (going to table early).  Things would be different today. 

Maybe for football it won't matter because every trip is a one-off charter flight.

However I think I'll wait a season or two to see how things shake out with ACC and Big Ten baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer and other teams travelling coast-to-coast - many on one- or two-stop commercial trips - before I'd concede that point. This is going to be a much bigger problem and much higher expense than was ever anticipated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2024 at 2:20 PM, Beaver-Poke said:

Maybe for football it won't matter because every trip is a one-off charter flight.

However I think I'll wait a season or two to see how things shake out with ACC and Big Ten baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer and other teams travelling coast-to-coast - many on one- or two-stop commercial trips - before I'd concede that point. This is going to be a much bigger problem and much higher expense than was ever anticipated. 

Our guys charter now, if we’re doing it then the big 10/acc programs are as well.  Unless there’s a redirect/cancellation/weather etc it’s a non stop flight.

*not sure about volleyball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2024 at 12:07 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Our guys charter now, if we’re doing it then the big 10/acc programs are as well.  Unless there’s a redirect/cancellation/weather etc it’s a non stop flight.

*not sure about volleyball

Baseball charters? Softball charters? Soccer charters? Golf teams charter? I highly doubt that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2024 at 5:54 PM, Beaver-Poke said:

Baseball charters? Softball charters? Soccer charters? Golf teams charter? I highly doubt that. 

Our baseball chartered this season.  Not sure about softball, they didn’t have quite the travel headaches this season.  There isn’t XII soccer so we were in sunbelt.  Golf players can handle their own travel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2024 at 5:06 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Our baseball chartered this season.  Not sure about softball, they didn’t have quite the travel headaches this season.  There isn’t XII soccer so we were in sunbelt.  Golf players can handle their own travel.

Players on the golf team don't hop into their personal cars and travel as individuals, that's ridiculous. They fly together as a team, like everyone else.

The Big 12 most certainly sponsors women's soccer, and UCF has a team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2024 at 2:01 AM, Destiny Dutch said:

First off, I have to say that SDSU fans have gotten the proverbial shaft. Each time SDSU thought they were going to be elevated, whether it was the Big East or the Pac 12, the league imploded.

What was the common denominator in both those potential moves ?

lol

However, San Diego State has always insisted they were worth 30+ Million dollars a year. I don't know where they got that idea but the SDSU AD was insisting that was the case.

They might be worth six. Seriously.

Which brings me to the SDSU conundrum. The SDSU President was overheard saying that San Diego State would accept nothing less than "pro rata" to join a P4.

Then SDSU will never be in the P4

On 7/10/2024 at 2:01 AM, Destiny Dutch said:

I think she probably feels foolish now for being so short-sighted in SDSU's quest for a P4 conference - but will that rigidity show up in the MWC TV talks too?

No. Gloria will tell them to go sit at the kids table while the adults work it out.

When the Big East died, Boise State got a promise from the MWC for a Sweetener in perpetuity. They will always make more money than San Diego State in the MWC.

Nevertheless, with the possibility of a reverse merger, SDSU may finally get to wear a certain "Pac 12" patch that they have always coveted.

Which is the equivelant of a Participation Trophy

That said, will pride stop SDSU from not getting their "pro rata" equivalent to Boise State? SDSU definitely isn't worth 30 million, so one has to wonder if they can accept what this next media deal will offer them with (or without) the Pac 2 involved.

If we know anything about the Aztecs it will be dramatic. The MWC/Pac 2 is the absolute highest level they can ever expect to be a part of. They need to understand that.

Truth

See my bolded reponses

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2024 at 10:14 AM, Beaver-Poke said:

Players on the golf team don't hop into their personal cars and travel as individuals, that's ridiculous. They fly together as a team, like everyone else.

The Big 12 most certainly sponsors women's soccer, and UCF has a team. 

 

Woosh was talking about men's soccer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...